Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Toyota Supra

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
SiJar

Toyota Supra

Post by SiJar » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:57 pm

At the weekend I went to visit my mother in Canterbury and a couple of hundred metres down the road was a Toyota garage with a Supra in the window so I went to have a closer look. I couldn’t get a drive but managed to sit in the car and crawl all over it and I must say I was very impressed. Personally I think BMW should have kept the coupe version as it’s stunning and at 6 feet 2 there is loads of legroom although the boot is smaller than my Z4MC. I would seriously consider one of these as my next car, however has anyone driven one and what was your thoughts?
Z4///MC

ColinBR

Toyota Supra

Post by ColinBR » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:12 pm

If I could afford 1 it would be the car I would buy.
Not sure what the monthly cost on 1 would be but dont think theres much more out there that I like for that range of £.

SiJar

Toyota Supra

Post by SiJar » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:04 pm

Yes there are certainly good discounts already and the white looks fantastic.
Z4///MC

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Toyota Supra

Post by mr.tourette » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:08 pm

There's a yellow one I pass on a drive local to me when Im out walking the dog and I really think its a fantastic looking motor, not something Id look to buy but a nice looking thing all the same :driving:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Bing
Legend
Legend

Toyota Supra

Post by Bing » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:08 pm

I saw my first one on the road on Sunday in traffic - loved it, looked really striking amongst all the other run of the mill cars around it.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

scootr

Toyota Supra

Post by scootr » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:31 am

I followed this closely. Learned how the Germans and the Japanese traded valuable input until a vehicle superior to both of their factories was carved out of the clay molds. Then I watch every side by side comparison I could find and my conclusion is 3 fold.
1. The Supra has superior handling.
2. On paper I would buy either one with a manual transmission.
3. I can't abide by a car with so many fake vents ! :headbang: Supra
I'm buying a Porsche or a Lotus or a something with real vents.
E89 3.0L 6 MT gone
Michelin P4s
Bilstein struts & shocks
Luxon tower brace

just-right

Toyota Supra

Post by just-right » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:10 pm

scootr wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:31 am 3. I can't abide by a car with so many fake vents ! :headbang: Supra
I'm buying a Porsche or a Lotus or a something with real vents.
Couldn't agree more. Not a big fan of Toyota's styling with what seems a lot of random lines / folds / fake ducts that do not seem to be coherent like on our BMWs.
Interlagos Blue Z4MC

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Toyota Supra

Post by buzyg » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:02 am

Bing wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:08 pm I saw my first one on the road on Sunday in traffic - loved it, looked really striking amongst all the other run of the mill cars around it.
No idea what the sales figures are, But I recall seeing many G29's out and about and not one single new shape Supra. May be I'm just more in tune with the Z4 so I notice them.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Toyota Supra

Post by buzyg » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:13 am

Well I just had to look that up of course.

https://carsalesbase.com/europe-toyota-supra/

https://carsalesbase.com/europe-bmw-z4/

It seems my observations are genuine. Many times more Z4 G29 sold in Europe than New shape Supras. :thumbsup:

scootr

Toyota Supra

Post by scootr » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:19 am

I cant think of a single thing that would be killing the sales more than the ridiculous styling with all of the fake vents. Name another car that sold well with as many fake vents. Fake just doesn't sell well :thumbsdown: I may be a potential buyer but not with a huge fake mid-engine (door) vent in a front engine car.
E89 3.0L 6 MT gone
Michelin P4s
Bilstein struts & shocks
Luxon tower brace

ColinBR

Toyota Supra

Post by ColinBR » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:22 am

Surely aftermarket vents will be available.

I know it shouldn't have to be the case when buying a car, but if I really liked the car and was in the position that I could buy 1 I wouldnt let that stop me as no doubt it will be a great bit of kit.

SiJar

Toyota Supra

Post by SiJar » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:46 am

Low sales is good news as there will be big discounts on these
Z4///MC

Pbondar

Toyota Supra

Post by Pbondar » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:19 am

I believe the reason for low sales volume was a deliberate low production volume to maintain exclusivity..that’s what they said at launch..

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Toyota Supra

Post by Nictrix » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:05 am

ColinBR wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:22 am Surely aftermarket vents will be available.

I know it shouldn't have to be the case when buying a car, but if I really liked the car and was in the position that I could buy 1 I wouldnt let that stop me as no doubt it will be a great bit of kit.
Im sure I read somewhere that the fake vents are there to make it easier to install proper vents for tuned/race cars in the future.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

scootr

Toyota Supra

Post by scootr » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:01 pm

Nictrix wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:05 am
ColinBR wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:22 am Surely aftermarket vents will be available.

Im sure I read somewhere that the fake vents are there to make it easier to install proper vents for tuned/race cars in the future.
And how exactly are you supposed to make a proper vent out of a fake duct in the car door ? It's impossible unless you are going to cut a big hole in the door edge and door jam which I think is structural.

They put themselves squarely in the boy racer category with this design and then priced themselves out of the same category. Too bad it could have been a very nice car. The Japanese should have borrowed BMW design as well as engineering. :fuelfire:
E89 3.0L 6 MT gone
Michelin P4s
Bilstein struts & shocks
Luxon tower brace