Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

After the Z4M - M4CS

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Herminator

After the Z4M - M4CS

Post by Herminator » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:58 pm

It's been over 8 years with my Z4M roadster but just before new years it went to it's new owner. It was with me for a very significant portion of my life, through good times and bad. Even 3 years in Sweden, where it really didn't get the use it deserves.
I'll always miss that special car and will have one in the collection if I have that luxury in the future. I think it's the BMW most deserving classic status in the last 20 years.

I knew it would be hard to replace the feeling the Z4M gives when you drive it. I've spent countless hours trawling Autotrader.
What I wanted?
More practicality, space and comfort, along with some more modern tech, but without loosing all sense of sportyness and without being numb feeling. Not easy with most modern cars.
Electric cars are the future IMO, something I'll embrace in the next few years, but first I need one last petrol beast.

I test drove an M2 (original) it's the right size for a fun car, but the basic interior wasn't something I could get past. The M2 Competition interior is a good half step in the right direction, but still not good enough.
Porsche- I have felt the Cayman interior too claustrophobic since sitting in a workmates and both it and the 911s just didn't quite have the every day practicality I was looking for.
When looking at 911s I also started looking at the AMG GT, I love the look of them but I wasn't quite there on budget.
Jaguar FType- I'm not that old yet and Jag's are my fathers thing.
Alfa Quadriofolagiogogogo - Had an Alfa Brera, seen the same build issues are still a thing, no thanks.
Mercedes C63? Pretty but not sporty in the way I want.
Audi? drove a TTS as a "cheap" option, not enough power or feeling but the interior was very nice, I think they're a bargain in the mid 20k price range. The S5, needs a model refresh when you see it next to the other updated Audi's.

In the end it always came down to M4's but even then I worried it would be a little numb.
So how to solve that? get the most sorted and slightly more raw version :driving:

Yesterday I picked up this beast - M4 CS
In the best colour, San Marino Blue, with Icon headlights, Carbon Ceramic brakes, Alcantara steering wheel, not that there''s many options to tick on the CS, but this one had all the ones I felt were important.
CS01.jpg
CS01.jpg (283.52 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
CS02.jpg
CS02.jpg (253.45 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
CS04.jpg
CS04.jpg (176.54 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
CS05.jpg
CS05.jpg (221.33 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
I had a few hours driving up the A68 today to Edinburgh and got to enjoy becoming acquainted with it.
The chassis and suspension is still stiff like the Z4M but I don't grimace at every pothole now. The damping is nice and copes well with our British roads. The 19's up front with extra tyre sidewall are good to have here too. Any smaller and the front brakes wouldn't fit :lol:
It's not as loud'inside, but thats what I wanted for longer road journeys. But it's not as sound proofed as a regular or Competition M4, so there's still some sense of road and exhaust noise.
The steering is still super reactive, like the Z but it won't ever have the same feel you get from a hydraulic system. In fact I think it's probably even more direct around centre point, think a direction and you're turning in.
The DCT I love, apart from a couple of around town jerky pulls between 1st and 2nd.
The exhaust is too quiet from inside until you put it in Sports +. When you do though, it's great and brings the car alive on country road blasts :D With the DCT and the torque of the engine, the power is easy to access, less work than the Z4M.
The rear tyres were new yesterday, Cup2s, so a little squirly and not helped but the low temps and damp roads. With the need to be careful trying to put the power down, overtakes were still done quickly at less than full throttle. Which soon meant the brakes needed to be tested. They don't bite as hard as the Z4M, but thats down the pedal modulation which I just need to get used to. I feel like the brakes have a layer of electronic wizardry going on to ensure they feel "normal" vs the Zs being simply big and directly linked to your foot.
Having heard experience of Porsche Cayane ceramic brakes biting too hard and putting your face through the windscreen on the autobahn, I'm glad they're "normal" on the M4 and I just need to get used to them

The plan is to keep this car 8+ years like the Z4M, but eventually it will be a second car to something electric for daily duties.
Until then, I plan to enjoy the daily and fun day usage. I feel it gives me the things I wanted to add to my daily, whilst still retaining that specialness the Z4M has in buckets.
I'm going to enjoy getting to know it more. I can't wait for the summer and some good Scottish road trips :driving:
Last edited by Herminator on Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BMW M4CS, San Marino Blue, CCBs

Gone but not forgotten- Z4M Roadster, E31 840 Ci Sport, E85 Z4 3.0 Sport.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

After the Z4M - M4CS

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:06 pm

That's an interesting comparison, and your M4CS looks a real beast - plus I love the colour! :thumbsup:

And you've even got a photo for the "Zeds at the Petrol Station" thread!

Roll on summer. :driving:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

After the Z4M - M4CS

Post by buzyg » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:17 pm

Great post. :thumbsup: good looking beast too. 8) Enjoy the next 8 years :driving: and be sure to keep us updated. :wink:

BeeEmm

After the Z4M - M4CS

Post by BeeEmm » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:43 pm

Lovely car, made for the Scottish border roads. :thumbsup:
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

LeeZ4MR
Lifer
Lifer

After the Z4M - M4CS

Post by LeeZ4MR » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:48 pm

A wonderful car in a wonderful colour! :wub: :wub:

I've wanted a M4 since they first came out. 8)

Congratulations and enjoy it. :thumbsup: :driving:
Current...BMW F82 M4 Coupe 2018
370Z Roadster 2011
Merc GLE400d 2022
Caterham 7 2002

Previous...
640d 2012
330i 2006
Z4MR 2006
E92 M3 2009
X5 4.8iS 2004
TVR Cerbera 4.5

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

After the Z4M - M4CS

Post by Marlon » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:46 pm

Thats one serious looking motor - great choice :thumbsup: :driving:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Chippie

After the Z4M - M4CS

Post by Chippie » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:04 am

Congratulations on the new purchase it looks stunning, I’m sure you will enjoy every moment in it 👍
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

After the Z4M - M4CS

Post by paddy wright » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:39 am

Congratulations on the new car. Health to drive.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

After the Z4M - M4CS

Post by MrPT » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:40 pm

Very astute purchase and a fantastic car. At ~£100k (when optioned) I would have ridiculed anybody that bought a new one but they’re a steal now. Lovely colour too, congrats. :thumbsup:

So tell us the truth then, have your arms fallen out their sockets due to the infamous missing armrests? :lol:
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Herminator

After the Z4M - M4CS

Post by Herminator » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:17 pm

MrPT wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:40 pm Very astute purchase and a fantastic car. At ~£100k (when optioned) I would have ridiculed anybody that bought a new one but they’re a steal now. Lovely colour too, congrats. :thumbsup:

So tell us the truth then, have your arms fallen out their sockets due to the infamous missing armrests? :lol:
Haha, yes not worth their asking price new, but now the difference between a competition and a CS nearly new is a lot less and I'm hoping the CS will become the E46 M3 CSL of the future.
I was looking at a nice spec Competition, but by the time I added the CS style lighter wheels, a carbon splitter and spoiler/lip, it closed the gap in price enough to make me go that bit further.

The lack of armrests wasn't an issue on 3 hours of A roads but I'm still working on finding the right steering wheel and seat position combination.
I don't think the regular M4 door is much better for me and the centre console rest could be argued as in the way of the idrive dial.
I think I might want a slightly less fat steering wheel though, it's about the same as the Z4M and on both I end up holding the wheel above the expected positions.
BMW M4CS, San Marino Blue, CCBs

Gone but not forgotten- Z4M Roadster, E31 840 Ci Sport, E85 Z4 3.0 Sport.

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

After the Z4M - M4CS

Post by MrPT » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:56 pm

Herminator wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:17 pm I think I might want a slightly less fat steering wheel though, it's about the same as the Z4M and on both I end up holding the wheel above the expected positions.
Same. I recently added a cheap cover to a mate’s non-M wheel and found that it resulted in a perfect thickness! I have no idea what motivated the modern chubby wheel phenomenon.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

After the Z4M - M4CS

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:03 pm

I'd agree with you both - I'd rather have a less chubby steering wheel too. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

beanie

After the Z4M - M4CS

Post by beanie » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:07 pm

Definitely the pick of the M3/4 range and yours is a great spec too :thumbsup: Very nice!
RUBYIMOLACARBON

sars
Lifer
Lifer

After the Z4M - M4CS

Post by sars » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:49 pm

That’s gorgeous, congratulations :thumbsup:
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Angelus666

After the Z4M - M4CS

Post by Angelus666 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:18 pm

What a beauty...and a real bargain at mid £50k's now...it has a real visual presence. I really can't see this car ever dropping into the £20k mark so I think it's a good purchase right now.

The carbon bonnet underneath is a thing of beauty. :thumbsup: