Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

M2 vs M4 vs M5 vs something else

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:33 pm

Z4M-2006 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:35 pm I was out n my friends 3 yr old M4 comp pack last night, Individual spec with 19k miles on.

Quick car,but ultimately very boring. Zero character and the exhaust noise/drone/bullfrog fart was at best noisy and at worst just annoying and tiresome.

As well as the shaking brake discs,the exhaust heat shields that are rattling and the AC has stopped working i dont think its a car that i want to tick off on a want list.

Shocked ,poor product..
Interesting. Were you driving or in the passenger seat? Agree about the exhaust but I haven’t driven one - the CP is supposed to be a decent steer, right?

I have driven a C63S long enough to know I’d probably have it over the M4, regardless. The Giulia looks good too.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Top pup

Post by Top pup » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:41 pm

Before buying my M2 I had an M4 for a 24h test drive, I drove it 15 miles home, went for a 10 minute blast down some lane and then left it parked up until taking it back to the dealers, I genuinely had no interest in driving it any further. In fact I had two test drives previously and didn't click with it. The M2 was at least much more exciting.
Z4M-2006 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:35 pm I was out n my friends 3 yr old M4 comp pack last night, Individual spec with 19k miles on.

Quick car,but ultimately very boring. Zero character and the exhaust noise/drone/bullfrog fart was at best noisy and at worst just annoying and tiresome.

As well as the shaking brake discs,the exhaust heat shields that are rattling and the AC has stopped working i dont think its a car that i want to tick off on a want list.

Shocked ,poor product..

Top pup

Post by Top pup » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:09 pm

Z4M-2006 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:46 am
Top pup wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:25 am
Z4M-2006 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:04 pm Brilliant...

I still havent seen a G29 on the road yet,never mind an M40i...

I seen them at Williams Stockport when they launched them and that was it.

The M2 is a funny motor that seems to divide opinion,its the trim that puts me off them to be honest..
I rarely post on here these days, but as an ex M2 owner I thought I'd pick up on your last comment and say it's probably the most disappointing car I've owned and I was glad to see the back of it.

Please expand

The trim and the engine problems do put me off them, I would prefer the M4 , but then again I would have a C63 over any of them ... lol..
I think the main thing is that as you get know it you realise how fake much of it is. The sound is fake, the extra noise when you switch it into sport, no that's not a valved exhaust it just plays louder engine noises through the sound system. Steering with a choice of weights but none of the feels quite right or natural. There's a weird delay to the throttle that I thought was turbo lag for ages but I actually think may have been in the mapping, when you change gear (I had a manual) there is the best part of a second of delay before you get full power again, I think it's mapped to feed the power in for you. Oh and at least half the leather is plastic and I'm not sure on the other half either.

Add in a ridiculously small fuel tank, the most annoying drone from the engine/exhaust at quicker motorway speeds and the fact it wasn't really all that quick (My Z4m was quicker once you got into three figure speeds) and I was left really disappointed.

I will say it looked the part and got nothing but positive attention.

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:56 am

I had a drive but was a passenger mainly

Thank goodness people thought the same as I did, I thought I was unique in my thinking here

I have driven a C63s which is night and day better than an M4 imho, and the QF as a rapid drivers car would probably be better than the C63s...

Out of the 3 with ALL things considered I would go for the AMG ..

Herminator

Post by Herminator » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:55 pm

Top pup wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:09 pm
I think the main thing is that as you get know it you realise how fake much of it is. The sound is fake, the extra noise when you switch it into sport, no that's not a valved exhaust it just plays louder engine noises through the sound system. Steering with a choice of weights but none of the feels quite right or natural. There's a weird delay to the throttle that I thought was turbo lag for ages but I actually think may have been in the mapping, when you change gear (I had a manual) there is the best part of a second of delay before you get full power again, I think it's mapped to feed the power in for you. Oh and at least half the leather is plastic and I'm not sure on the other half either.

Add in a ridiculously small fuel tank, the most annoying drone from the engine/exhaust at quicker motorway speeds and the fact it wasn't really all that quick (My Z4m was quicker once you got into three figure speeds) and I was left really disappointed.

I'm of course going to defend the car I own and maybe I'm also benefiting from having a CS over a Comp, but I don't think you're painting the fairest picture.
The exhaust is definetly valved, it makes a big difference to the experience and when pushing on there are a lot more pops. It's said the CS doesn't have much of the exhaust fakeness pushed through the speakers, so some it's none and if they're not right, it's doing a great job of fooling me. With the valve closed, there's very little to hear.
The steering could feel better but it's still nice and immediate, typical BMW M car style. I've not driven an electric steering rack I "love"
The throttle response is not immediate like the na Z4M, but it's not got a feeling of turbo lag with the DCT. Although eco mode makes it feel too soft/dull and I mostly avoid this mode now but it was nice to cruise home the other night in the freezing cold after a long day of work. The CS does have a different tune, with more torque and a little more power but I test drove a Comp before buying the CS and it was lively enough.

The fuel tank is bigger than the Z4M and fairly reasonable/average size, you can just empty it pretty quickly if pushing on.
As for speed, the M4 is easily quicker, but you feel it more in the Z4M.

They're very different cars and I'll probably always love the Z4M more but, for me now, the M4 is the better daily with a wild side.
BMW M4CS, San Marino Blue, CCBs

Gone but not forgotten- Z4M Roadster, E31 840 Ci Sport, E85 Z4 3.0 Sport.

Top pup

Post by Top pup » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:43 pm

Herminator wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:55 pm
Top pup wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:09 pm

I'm of course going to defend the car I own and maybe I'm also benefiting from having a CS over a Comp, but I don't think you're painting the fairest picture.
The exhaust is definetly valved, it makes a big difference to the experience and when pushing on there are a lot more pops. It's said the CS doesn't have much of the exhaust fakeness pushed through the speakers, so some it's none and if they're not right, it's doing a great job of fooling me. With the valve closed, there's very little to hear.
The steering could feel better but it's still nice and immediate, typical BMW M car style. I've not driven an electric steering rack I "love"
The throttle response is not immediate like the na Z4M, but it's not got a feeling of turbo lag with the DCT. Although eco mode makes it feel too soft/dull and I mostly avoid this mode now but it was nice to cruise home the other night in the freezing cold after a long day of work. The CS does have a different tune, with more torque and a little more power but I test drove a Comp before buying the CS and it was lively enough.

The fuel tank is bigger than the Z4M and fairly reasonable/average size, you can just empty it pretty quickly if pushing on.
As for speed, the M4 is easily quicker, but you feel it more in the Z4M.

They're very different cars and I'll probably always love the Z4M more but, for me now, the M4 is the better daily with a wild side.
I think you have slightly misunderstood my post, I was talking about the M2 I owned not an M4.

Make no mistake I owned both at the same time and stand by opinion on the M2, it's not like I was looking back on my Z4m with rose tinted glasses.

I know the M4 has batter performance and a better interior than the M2 , but the one I test drove still felt very 'fake', I would hope your CS is much better in that regard they certainly seem a lot more special than the regular M4 (I did look at one when trading the M2 in).

Herminator

Post by Herminator » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:20 pm

Ah, thats interesting and makes more sense, my mistake :thumbsup:
I only had a short drive of the original M2 but I understand your point.
I think it would have been more fun than the M4 due to the size but I couldn't get past the interior feeling basic. The Competition was better but still had too much plastic. Your comment on the leather makes more sense now.

I think the fakeness is an issue with most modern cars, they're so big, everythings drive by wire, engines are all turbo'd. There's not a lot like the Z4M left.
A good chunk of the reason I went for the CS was to get a little of that rawness.
BMW M4CS, San Marino Blue, CCBs

Gone but not forgotten- Z4M Roadster, E31 840 Ci Sport, E85 Z4 3.0 Sport.