Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

M2 vs M4 vs M5 vs something else

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:36 am

Main problem with the M2 comp and the m3/4 is they sound the same and I think they sound awful. N55 in the M2 with the performance exhaust really does sound fantastic! Even without it sounds great. Really enjoyed a test drive of one a couple months back. It was just too expensive to justify the depreciation.

That being said m4s are a better value proposition comfy and very quick. Pootling around tho the noise is awful cringe every time one drives by.

While I don’t mind the e92 it’s just the cost to run from my experience if it’s a dual purpose car they have low end torque meaning they aren’t that quick as a daily and even on a motorway run struggled to get more than 280 miles out of an £80 tank.

Probably get 450 with the M2/3/4. Even an S54 car will do far better. Add a spirited run and under 200 miles they are thirsty beasts.

Good later low mile e92s still expensive as auc BMW’s too.

R60BBA

Post by R60BBA » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:28 am

The sound isn’t that bad with an aftermarket backbox. However the car has a proper M engine engine, improved dampening and an uprated subframe, not to mention the M seats.

I know which way I would go but accept that it all comes down to personal preference and budget at the end of the day.
Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 2005 997 Carrera S
Gone: 2004 R53 Cooper S
Gone: 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
Gone: 2007 Z4 E86 3.0Si Sport
Gone: 2001 Z3 E36/7 2.2i San Remo Individual
Gone: 2015 F21 116d M Sport
Gone: 2012 A3 Sportback 1.2TFSI

Woots
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Woots » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:30 pm

So general consensus is while a new car might seem cheap for monthlies and deposit

Long run is buying an exotic car which is a few years old and has done half of its depreciating is the better bet?
Lotus Exige 350

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:58 pm

You’re spoilt for choice in the M4 class - I’d happily take a Giulia or C63s, maybe even the RS5 or Lexus RCF.

How about an Evora? Does it pass the Tesco test?
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Woots
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Woots » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:17 pm

MrPT wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:58 pm You’re spoilt for choice in the M4 class - I’d happily take a Giulia or C63s, maybe even the RS5 or Lexus R

How about an Evora? Does it pass the Tesco test?
Evora/Exige is on the list...just need to see if my wheely suitcase will fit on the seat/boot
Lotus Exige 350

R60BBA

Post by R60BBA » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:51 pm

Woots wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:30 pm So general consensus is while a new car might seem cheap for monthlies and deposit

Long run is buying an exotic car which is a few years old and has done half of its depreciating is the better bet?
It’s not as simple as that but from a financial sense - yes it makes more sense.

Financing a brand new car is lose lose (a it rapidly depreciates and b) you are paying interest, on something which is depreciating...

Just be careful when buying secondhand as things may not always appear as they seem.

This thread should be of use: https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threads/ ... ff.207839/
Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 2005 997 Carrera S
Gone: 2004 R53 Cooper S
Gone: 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
Gone: 2007 Z4 E86 3.0Si Sport
Gone: 2001 Z3 E36/7 2.2i San Remo Individual
Gone: 2015 F21 116d M Sport
Gone: 2012 A3 Sportback 1.2TFSI

Herminator

Post by Herminator » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:28 pm

Rather than start an almost identical thread... After 8 years of the M roadster, I'm looking for a change. Going for DCT and a bit more daily comfort.
I'm trying to make a similar choice, but with a total cost rather than monthly payment in mind. Somewhere from 30-45k.

M2 - Original. second hand. Test drove one priced at 36k, it was a short test drive, it felt ok. The interior disappoints me too much.
M2 Competition - Feels like the "right" M car, with a beefier engine and the seats are a big improvement. I still wish it had a better interior, like full leather as an option. Wish it had the carbon roof. For 45k ish even nearly new, is there enough value for money?
M2 CS - coming next year, worth the wait? what price will it be? - ultimately I think the M4 CS will be better value next year.

M4 2015 ish - can be had for low 30k with still low mileage. But I keep seeing the reviews of how the later years improve traction and ride.
M4 2017+ Competition. I think this is the version to buy second hand right now. But price is 40k ish
Either M4 choice is being restricted by my preference for full leather and only 2-3 colours. The regular plastic dash in BMWs, with its huge fake leather grain, is a legacy they need to kill.
I need to drive both an older M4 and a newer Competition, and see if I actually want the more compact M2, or if I see a difference in M4s.

The other main consideration has been a R35 GTR. 2011-2014 ish.
Somewhere in the 40-45k price range.
Bigger, badder, but older. It could be fun to try something outside of the BMW for a while and it should hold it's value better than any of the above options. It would all depend on how I like the driving experience, but getting the chance to drive one is not easy. Nothing close at dealerships and the reasonable travel distance ones are Stage 4.25. I feel I should drive a stock one first.

M4 CS-
I only really paid attention to these as I getting to the top of the M4 Competition specs and saw a CS at 55k, with a few others below 60k. Over what I want to spend right now, but not unatainable.
They're mostly in my favourite M4 colour, San Marino blue. Carbon bonnet, I love... Weight savings with nice alloys, a little more rawness in the drive. Interior trim looks nice. The whole package appeals really. But thats without driving one, or being able to compare the driving feel to a regular M4.
I'm contemplating holding off for another year and seeing if the prices drop into the high 40's and seeing where the M2 Competition or CS sits on value.
BMW M4CS, San Marino Blue, CCBs

Gone but not forgotten- Z4M Roadster, E31 840 Ci Sport, E85 Z4 3.0 Sport.

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:46 pm

Herminator wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:28 pm Rather than start an almost identical thread... After 8 years of the M roadster, I'm looking for a change. Going for DCT and a bit more daily comfort.
I'm trying to make a similar choice, but with a total cost rather than monthly payment in mind. Somewhere from 30-45k.

M2 - Original. second hand. Test drove one priced at 36k, it was a short test drive, it felt ok. The interior disappoints me too much.
M2 Competition - Feels like the "right" M car, with a beefier engine and the seats are a big improvement. I still wish it had a better interior, like full leather as an option. Wish it had the carbon roof. For 45k ish even nearly new, is there enough value for money?
M2 CS - coming next year, worth the wait? what price will it be? - ultimately I think the M4 CS will be better value next year.

M4 2015 ish - can be had for low 30k with still low mileage. But I keep seeing the reviews of how the later years improve traction and ride.
M4 2017+ Competition. I think this is the version to buy second hand right now. But price is 40k ish
Either M4 choice is being restricted by my preference for full leather and only 2-3 colours. The regular plastic dash in BMWs, with its huge fake leather grain, is a legacy they need to kill.
I need to drive both an older M4 and a newer Competition, and see if I actually want the more compact M2, or if I see a difference in M4s.

Bigger, badder, but older. It could be fun to try something outside of the BMW for a while and it should hold it's value better than any of the above options. It would all depend on how I like the driving experience, but getting the chance to drive one is not easy. Nothing close at dealerships and the reasonable travel distance ones are Stage 4.25. I feel I should drive a stock one first.

M4 CS-
I only really paid attention to these as I getting to the top of the M4 Competition specs and saw a CS at 55k, with a few others below 60k. Over what I want to spend right now, but not unatainable.
They're mostly in my favourite M4 colour, San Marino blue. Carbon bonnet, I love... Weight savings with nice alloys, a little more rawness in the drive. Interior trim looks nice. The whole package appeals really. But thats without driving one, or being able to compare the driving feel to a regular M4.
I'm contemplating holding off for another year and seeing if the prices drop into the high 40's and seeing where the M2 Competition or CS sits on value.
Shame to see you selling up mate!
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:49 pm

Herminator wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:28 pm Rather than start an almost identical thread... After 8 years of the M roadster, I'm looking for a change. Going for DCT and a bit more daily comfort.

M4 CS-

I did all this over a couple of weeks..

M2 got totally discounted in the low £30's range.... Feels so low rent,even though its an ok car.

M4 is a great buy,but there are a lot for sale... Feel fast but dull and does have a chavability rating thats off the scale

Ended up buying an Jaguar F type S instead.. :rofl:

Zoomer

Post by Zoomer » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:29 pm

Trouble with the Aston is the extra costs. A work colleague has one and has blown 7K on it this year and hardly uses !
Sterling Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather M sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Cruise and a nice warm garage. NOW GONE
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE

Herminator

Post by Herminator » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:36 pm

paddy wright wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:46 pm Shame to see you selling up mate!
It will be a sad day to see the Z4M go. I've thought more than once about just keeping it as a second car, but I don't have a spare garage for it and it would realistically not get the use needed to keep it from deteriorating.
I did all this over a couple of weeks..

M2 got totally discounted in the low £30's range.... Feels so low rent,even though its an ok car.

M4 is a great buy,but there are a lot for sale... Feel fast but dull and does have a chavability rating thats off the scale

Ended up buying an Jaguar F type S instead.. :rofl:
I'm hoping the M4 isn't too dull. The chavability - I can see the point but I've seen more M2's with that problem.
I don't feel I'm ready for the old man Jag. (it doesn't help my father has had an S-Type and still has an XK)

I just did a quick insurance comparison. The M2 competition was looking the most expensive until a couple of late quotes came in the same range as the other options I'm considering. I'll end up at a different post code, so those quotes will change, but it doesn't seem the car choice will be swayed insurance.

A Porsche Cayman is an obvious step from the Z4, but I sat in a workmates and it felt even more claustrophobic than the Z4. I want more space these days.
Audi's bore me and Mercs are nice to look at but outside of the GT and SLS, don't move me.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:09 pm

When I did the figures on a new M2 and M4 the depreciation was more than the monthly payments, negative equity off the bat.

The depreciation is so steep, I looked at an M2 that had all the bells and whistles (what bells and whistles it could have...) carbon pack, bluetooth exhaust, digital steering wheel, HK, Cameras, car play etc etc and had done 4k was a 66 Plate so 18 months old at the time, RRP 54k list, it was up for sale for 36k 18 months 18k depreciation. Imagine what they offered him... £30k? criminal.

Apparently the guy who bought it had a successful business and with brexit had to sell some assets to help get him through the otherside. Didnt even trade so I would say the number was pretty poor.

Pcp the car had a trade in in 3 years time 4 1/2 years old at £18.5k loosing another 17K, £472 per month the monthly payments were about £520 with a balloon at the end. The cost to HP were about the same overall just higher monthlys instead of balloon payment and using the PCP as a minimum trade in gives you a decent indication of value. Usually they are lower than actual but still poor.

I think its generally the problem with this generation of M car. The M3/M4 naming debacle, everything going turbo, the interesting positioning of the M2, amazing car but ruined by the 2 series interior quality but half baked until the comp then the comp exhaust sounds worce than the N55s.

The M3/4 interior is lovely but the M2s exterior is so much nicer and looks more purposeful. The M3s rear arches look so much nicer than the 4. Just not a big lover of this generation. Then there is the noise, hate the noise of the S55 and the thought of throwing more money to make it sound good just doesn't appeal at all.

That being said on the road there probably isnt much better in terms of performance, comfort and MPG. Just that old school purist BMW M car mentality is dwindling. I always have a go a people for having negative comments on the newer cars and I suppose I should eat my words as they really dont do much for me at all. Suppose its how you weigh it up. Old school with old tech and more expensive to run but smiles per miles or newer car with all the bells and whistles but steep cost of buying, purposeful but dull.

Instead went halves with my dad for a 996 4S as a bit of a project and another M... but a roady this time.

2 cars, very different and love them both for completely different reasons and I have the JCW for family duties. Being back in the M is a revelation and as much as I like the little turbo motor in the mini it just feels like its trying to hard to be something its not and that probably sums up the current M range for me. No magic but does what it says on the tin.

At the same time its hard to blame BMW they have made a great car in a world where there are eu regs ruining all the fun and the old ones being extortionate to tax.

I mean its the way it is, new cars are expensive and the depreciation is large, so what ever you buy will be a big loss unless its a long termer. For me even if I could afford it loosing that amount of money on a car thats lost the spark of old doesn't seem to make much sense. There is also a bit of unease with BMW generally. Cuting ranges, CEO stepping down, M department making X3/4 Ms... and yet cant make a 2 seater sports car, Electric programme a complete flop. Not the best time to be a BMW fan.

The M3/4 at 25-30k seems like decent value but I dont know what they are like in terms of longevity cost to maintain out of warranty. Suppose in the next few years it will be more apparent.

The Porsche world might be a better bet, everything is pretty much sought after now. Just had the 996 valued and it has appreciated 3k in the last 18 months and its done about 4k miles. Spent more than that on it mind you :rofl:

Herminator

Post by Herminator » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:24 pm

Depreciation is definitely putting me off the M2s and higher end M4s.
I wouldn't intend to keep them for just 2-3 years, ideally I'd like them enough to keep them much longer, so depreciation would even out a little. But it's still not an enticing prospect.

Thats putting the GTR closer to the top of the list. Even if I think I'll be less inclined to keep it long term.
Maybe have 2-3 years of fun for not a massive amount of depreciation and then trade into an M4 CS. With the goal of the CS being a long long term fun second car.

At the moment though, I only want a single car. Something that does most things well but delivers excitement.

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:42 pm

You can get into a 981 cayman for £30k now and they have much more space than a Z4. And they are a fantastic car,i just sold mine with 35k on for £29500.

GTR are a weapon,but any saving in depreciation is taken up by running costs...

The F type is a happy medium for me.

Im happy that i didnt get a M4,from what im reading and seeing the prices are bombing. AUC car for £23k admittedly with 81k on,but also AUC car with 51k at £26k...
They have done best part of £10,000 in a year !!

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:35 pm

Just cycling this thread back up, as I've spent a decent amount of time in a 2017 M2 DCT today. I've got to say it's a brilliant car for UK roads, just the right amount of power and a chassis that is a lot of fun at sensible speeds on damp February roads. The seats are actually pretty good and the noise is very good, even with the standard exhaust. For £10k more than a Z4MC these feel a no brainer for those wanting a sporty M car.

So, for £28k-£30k with a 12 AUC warranty and £1k for a further 2 years warranty these are very compelling cars as a daily. Are they a little bit chavy, does that really matter....the only thing I would struggle to go back to is that there seem to be so many of them on the road (currently 244 on autotrader vs 32 Z4M's).

The dealer is also offering a very tempting M4CS with 1k miles for early £50k's...that's a bargain in my mind. Would those cars ever drop down to £20k..?