Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Project car. Guess what it is.

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:21 pm

Chris_D wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:35 pm Comments, derision, jokes, hints and tips all welcome....
None of any of those from me - just massive respect! :thumbsup:

I've always admired 911s but never really wanted one, but a manual 928 - Yes please!

I hope you manage to get this one. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:44 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:21 pm
Chris_D wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:35 pm Comments, derision, jokes, hints and tips all welcome....
None of any of those from me - just massive respect! :thumbsup:

I've always admired 911s but never really wanted one, but a manual 928 - Yes please!

I hope you manage to get this one. :thumbsup:
Thx Tidylar.
Hope it doesn't turn out to be a damp squib.
Got some collaborators and friends lined up to assist with technical stuff.
Gotta hope for the best....
:thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

MattZCars

Post by MattZCars » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:51 pm

Lovely cars when they're all up together and if you get it at the right price then worth buying almost whatever the condition. So weirdly, quite a "safe" buy. Good luck with the negotiations!! :thumbsup: Porsche parts will of course be horribly expensive and I expect most of the electrics to be u/s. After 3 years quite likely to have wiring and plastic & rubber parts chewed through by mice and all the other rust & seized parts through lack of use.

But if you can bring it back to life, massive satisfaction and a glorious beast to drive. Never owned one but worked for someone who did. It was some car!! :driving:
2006 2.5i SE on 17" daisies without runflats! :thumbsup: already busy.... :play: :P

Assorted other sheds on wheels :driving: ....including..

Z3 2.2
+ Others I won't admit to yet... :oops:

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:25 pm

Update.

So a week later and it lives!
The mechanic got it running after initially suspecting the starter motor wasn't engaging properly. Turns out it was just his booster battery was knackered as they rigged up the garage runabout to it after I left last week and got it started.
In any case, it sounds fantastic. Creamy smooth. No ticks, knocks, wobbles or vibrations. No oil or coolant drippage. No smoke from the exhauast although it did smell like it was running a bit rich. That's maybe to be expected as it's been sat so long. It was low on coolant too which may have influenced some running paramenters.

Unfortunately they had a little accident with a trailer bashing into the back of it and smashing the rear driverside light cluster and chafing the bumper. Oh dear. The cluster on the other side is all cracked too so maybe an opportunity for an upgrade of some sort. Bit of a *kof* clusterf@ck, but perhaps an extra bargaining chip for me.

I was amazed to see both pop-up headlights working as well as the airconditioning. Superplusbonus! :o :thumbsup:

Next step is to throw some figures into a hat and see if we can get the ball rolling on a good price for both of us. Any suggestions on values as a running and (maybe driving) fixer-upper 928S?

Pending first stage negotiations, the next step will be to get it up in the air to have a poke around underneath, check the brakes, suspension, driveline and see if it's good for the road....and get it out on the road for test drive.
That'll be in 2 weeks time.....

Ouch!
IMG_20190713_144702.jpg
IMG_20190713_144702.jpg (191.56 KiB) Viewed 1779 times

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:48 pm

Sounds good Chris.
WhyTF do they rev the nuts out of a cold engine, it's been sat all this time and the monkey has to blast it. Ed China used to do this too.
Hope it all goes well for you :thumbsup:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:00 pm

firebobby wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:48 pm Sounds good Chris.
WhyTF do they rev the nuts out of a cold engine, it's been sat all this time and the monkey has to blast it. Ed China used to do this too.
Hope it all goes well for you :thumbsup:
This was actually the 2nd startup of the day Fred.
They had it idling a couple of times before I got there, so it wasn't too cold. But the 'tienje' tenner's worth of petrol they put in had been swallowed up lol.
Spoke to the owner after seeing it today and he's upped his asking price to something ridiculous. I suggested we leave discussing it until I know it actually drives. He knows the market is surging for these and especially for manuals in original condition and it's just starting tactics afaiac.
So in 2 weeks they will make sure it's roadworthy enough to take for a blast around Loesdrecht.
Stay tuned....

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:56 pm

Good news that it's running - but a shame they had to inflict a bit more damage on it!

But as you say it's another bargaining factor. :lol:

After your previous disappointment I hope you can work out a deal on this one. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:27 pm

As a cheap weekend car it’ll be fun, but anyone paying £30k + for these needs their head seeing to. :?

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:51 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:56 pm Good news that it's running - but a shame they had to inflict a bit more damage on it!

But as you say it's another bargaining factor. :lol:

After your previous disappointment I hope you can work out a deal on this one. :thumbsup:
Ta tidylar, me too ;)
Angelus666 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:27 pm As a cheap weekend car it’ll be fun, but anyone paying £30k + for these needs their head seeing to. :?
He sold another mint 1977 S1 in bronze for 53K. Prob worth every penny.

Capa

Post by Capa » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:24 pm

I think i'd be more keen to have a it as a tourer and rack the miles on it.

Really like these - they've aged very gracefully. I do find it quite sad what they change hands for currently mind.
E86 | Stratus Grey

Zoomer

Post by Zoomer » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:29 pm

I know I guy who has one but hasn’t been running it as the petrol tank has some issues so he’s taken it out. I think he’ll be buried in it.
Sterling Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather M sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Cruise and a nice warm garage. NOW GONE
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:00 pm

Zoomer wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:29 pm I know I guy who has one but hasn’t been running it as the petrol tank has some issues so he’s taken it out. I think he’ll be buried in it.
Well, we got it out on the road this weekend and guess what; it was breakdown hell all the way! It kept cutting out and dying.
I was heading for the motorway and rather glad I didn't make it that far!

Went through the rigmarole of trying to source the issue after being recovered back to the dealer when I couldn't get it going following the 3rd breakdown and concluded that it's either a fuelling issue - dirty injectors, fuel filter, pump, dodgy electrics but who knows really. :|
The weird thing is that even with a fresh, good battery half the electrics wouldn't function. Maybe the alternator is shot and a voltage failsafe kicks in to act as a getyouhome?

They're going to put a few hours into it this week to see if they can tackle the issues but I'm already having deja-vu from the Lotus with this one now.

We'll see....

Zoomer

Post by Zoomer » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:55 pm

Chris_D wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:00 pm
Zoomer wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:29 pm I know I guy who has one but hasn’t been running it as the petrol tank has some issues so he’s taken it out. I think he’ll be buried in it.
Well, we got it out on the road this weekend and guess what; it was breakdown hell all the way! It kept cutting out and dying.

Went through the rigmarole of trying to source the issue after being recovered back to the dealer when I couldn't get it going following the 3rd breakdown and concluded that it's either a fuelling issue - dirty injectors, fuel filter, pump, dodgy electrics but who knows really. :|
The weird thing is that even with a fresh, good battery half the electrics wouldn't function. Maybe the alternator is shot and a voltage failsafe kicks in to act as a getyouhome?

They're going to put a few hours into it this week to see if they can tackle the issues but I'm already having deja-vu from the Lotus with this one now.

We'll see....
Wouldn’t it be easier to buy something that’s not got complex problematic 70/80s electrics !
Sterling Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather M sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Cruise and a nice warm garage. NOW GONE
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:49 pm

Zoomer wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:55 pm

We'll see....
Wouldn’t it be easier to buy something that’s not got complex problematic 70/80s electrics !
Of course it would.
But why make life easy for myself?? :lol:

Zoomer

Post by Zoomer » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:26 am

Chris_D wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:49 pm
Zoomer wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:55 pm

We'll see....
Of course it would.
But why make life easy for myself?? :lol:
Ok then Chris how about one of these then

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Alpi ... SwsdVdPpHl
:poke: bound not to be easy
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE