Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New to me: R8 Spyder, V10 Manual

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
AaronMc

Post by AaronMc » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:58 pm

Lovely new car - really enjoyed the write up! Congrats
'07 Interlagos Blue ZMC

JT_0306

Post by JT_0306 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:30 pm

Chris1712 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:34 am Top choice sir :thumbsup: . Definitely on my shortlist for next car aswell, but not sure if they sell brave pills big enough for me!

Would love a cost breakdown in 6-12 months, if you're still on here :).
Thanks! I'll still be here. It's a great forum and community. Hopefully i'll remember to share costs.
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4MR. Eventuri Intake and Evolve remap. H&S Exhaust. Absolutely loved it, but now sold :cry:
'10 Sepang Blue R8 Spyder, Manual. Top Gear F1 Valvetronic Exhaust. Love with this one too :D

JT_0306

Post by JT_0306 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:32 pm

buzyg wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:25 am Awesome JT. The only Audi for me. My favourite bit of trim, is the polished windscreen surround. 8) :thumbsup:
Ah yes - I completely forgot! That was a bit controversial with some people close to me who don't like the windscreen surround. But for me it looks great and is an important part of what makes the car 'work'. It nicely complements the silver fins / spines at the back, and the wheels.
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4MR. Eventuri Intake and Evolve remap. H&S Exhaust. Absolutely loved it, but now sold :cry:
'10 Sepang Blue R8 Spyder, Manual. Top Gear F1 Valvetronic Exhaust. Love with this one too :D

JT_0306

Post by JT_0306 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:33 pm

ph001 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:24 pm Car looks lovely and it's exactly the upgrade path I would choose moving on from the E46 M3 / Z4 3.0Si. It's been on my radar for some time as the best bang / buck supercar around at the moment. Like you, it has to be manual, a convertible and a V10.

In your shoes, first thing I would be doing is getting it over to Litchfield for a remap. They can take it to V10 plus output very easily indeed and at relatively little cost. Apparently this transforms the power delivery and it may be correct the somewhat 'soft' delivery that you are experiencing.
Thanks! I may consider a remap and so will have a look.

JT_0306

Post by JT_0306 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:34 pm

boatyhacker wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:31 pm That’s a beautiful car and a great write up. Thanks!

I struggle a little with the carbon footprint issue with my z4, but I keep telling myself (lying to myself really, I know) that in many ways I am cutting back in other areas far more than other people. I just hope the next car I buy is electric or hydrogen powered.
An example of the carbon offsetting I talked about is here: https://www.carbonfootprint.com/carbonoffset.html. I am still doing my homework on the options. If anyone has other examples please post!

JT_0306

Post by JT_0306 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:35 pm

Thanks everyone for your posts and positive reception to the car and the write up. I appreciate it!

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:52 pm

Beautiful car, looks in perfect condition! I've luckily had the chance to drive a couple of these and they really are epic cars with that V10 and manual I really don't think it'll be beat in the years to come. I think you've bought well....can see these being £100k cars again in the not too distant future :thumbsup:

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:59 pm

Lovely... really enjoyed reading your thoughts too. You've bought a piece of automative history in that V10. :)

Have to agree on the alloys though. A little bit Tony Stark.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:00 pm

New car looks epic mate. Great write up, Really pleased for you :thumbsup:

Your old M is still going strong :driving:

You free on the 24th July ??
https://www.motorsport-events.com/colle ... -track-day
A Dirty M///

JT_0306

Post by JT_0306 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:09 pm

Thanks Angelus666 and Mr PT!

Yorkie Z - Thank you as well and great to hear the old M is still going strong. I still remember it well and smile in the knowledge it is still enjoying life on the road :thumbsup:

Not sure about the 24th but that website is new to me and sounds great! I will have to look into insurance.

Babw

Post by Babw » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:53 pm

ph001 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:24 pm
In your shoes, first thing I would be doing is getting it over to Litchfield for a remap. They can take it to V10 plus output very easily indeed and at relatively little cost. Apparently this transforms the power delivery and it may be correct the somewhat 'soft' delivery that you are experiencing.
Great car OP, a relative has a 3000 mile V10 Spyder tucked away in a garage as he now lives abroad most of the year.

That upgrade with Litchfield is exclusive to the 4s (second gen R8) only. The 1st gen Plus had a much smaller increase in performance and afaik Litchfield don't map them.

markos

Post by markos » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:21 pm

JT_0306 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:33 pmHowever, the difference in the acceleration is less pronounced than I expected and I think this is because of the way the power is delivered. Specifically, to me the Z4M feels more 'raw' where the R8 is more 'smooth' or ‘progressive’. It may be that I am not yet driving it that hard or in the sportiest setup, but it feels like the accelerator pedal mapping is more progressive where the M felt more sharp.
The R8 is so refined... some would argue too refined, and I think coming from a Z4M it's impossible not to notice that. In my V8 ultimately I felt it was just a little too polished.
JT_0306 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:33 pm The R8 is considerably more compliant and comfortable than the Z4M. Even once firmed up you can still feel the mag-ride there
As you know, the magride is excellent at dealing with poor road surfaces, but I think this is a huge part of it feelng a little too refined for some.
JT_0306 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:33 pmIt sounds exhilarating on the open road and scary in a tunnel. It is incredible. I will try and capture it on video.
Only ever heard great things of Top Gear, would love to hear a video of yours :thumbsup:

JT_0306 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:33 pmAnother major concern is the negative environmental impact of the car.
Lolz! Personally I wouldn't worry about it, doubt your going to be emitting anything like what the average delivery van does in city and town centres, but you've bought a V10 so I'd not even mention the environment!

But overall, great write up and big congrats on your purchase, they're still for me one of the best looking cars on the road and to get into a V10 is special as they're not even going to be a thing for much longer.

Enjoy! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
R8 4.2 V8... Previous: Sapphire Black MC | red/black bi-colour heated seats | nav with camera alerts | BT | extended storage | elec folding mirrors | PDC | loudspeaker upgrade | Intravee | CSL reps | Remus backboxes

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:07 pm

Congratulations on your new acquisition. :thumbsup:

I enjoyed reading about your initial impressions - I like the idea of being able to open the rear window with the roof still up so you get the soundtrack!

It sounds like you are loving it, so just enjoy it while it's still possible to run a manual V10. :driving:

You mention concerns over it's impact on the envronment, but how many miles will you be doing in it anyway? A car that has half the emissions but does twice the annual mileage will have the same overall impact!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black