Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

slk new or old model

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Sidewaze Samm

slk new or old model

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:50 pm

I'd compare any version of the SLK/SLC with the E89 only. Personally, I found the seating position of my SLK too upright for me, and when I sat in an E89 it felt disappointingly similar. So after 18 months I swapped the R172 SLK for a GLA and bought a weekend driver E85. I miss the toys my SLK had, and the visibility over the shoulder was better too, but the E85 with Msport seats is much more comfortable for me. One other advantage of the E85 - with the roof down, windows up and OEM wind deflectors in place on both cars, the SLK was much more draughty.
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

slk new or old model

Post by GuidoK » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:04 pm

Sidewaze Samm wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:50 pm with the roof down, windows up and OEM wind deflectors in place on both cars, the SLK was much more draughty.
Couldn't the air scarf compensate for that?
That would be an option I'd like to have.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Sidewaze Samm

slk new or old model

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:52 pm

GuidoK wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:04 pm
Sidewaze Samm wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:50 pm with the roof down, windows up and OEM wind deflectors in place on both cars, the SLK was much more draughty.
Couldn't the air scarf compensate for that?
That would be an option I'd like to have.
I had airscarf and it is brilliant, especially with heated seats on too. Even in winter with the roof up, it's great - as on a cold morning it provides near instant heat and much quicker than either the seats or the heater.
But... it doesn't overpower the cold draught at a decent speed.
EDIT - Thinking about it, I wonder whether it's the fact that the rear side windows stay down when the roof is down, even with windows up, that causes so much draught? There is a Gaptech-type device (SmartTop?) that can raise those windows, but not cheap and a pig to install I believe. I think the door windows on the E85 might extend a little further back than on the SLK maybe.
I guess it's due to a host of aerodynamic factors - height/angle of windscreen, length of boot etc.

But back to the title of this thread!
Then it's got to be 'new' R172 SLK. Better spec and better looking IMO than the earlier two models (which had even worse seats I believe). Also, not the very latest current version, the SLC. Just my opinion...
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

slk new or old model

Post by DPG » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:45 pm

Marlon wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:16 pm
slick wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:47 am I sold my SLK 350 after 6 months........first month 6th gear synchro replaced .........5 month new inlet manilfold needed , 6 month new timing chain and balance shaft needed ....even though the engine number was after the balance shaft update/fix.......67,000 miles with full service history :headbang:
Come to think of it, I'm only on this forum because I bought a MK1 SLK 200 and returned it back to the dealer after driving it home and hearing a faint grinding noise at certain revs. Cost to sort it was thousands and so I swapped it for a 2ltr Z4 that had just come in :driving:
Amazing how things work out. Would you consider another SLK?

Not a car I’ve ever looked at tbh.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

slk new or old model

Post by Ewazix » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:40 am

Marlon wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:16 pm
slick wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:47 am I sold my SLK 350 after 6 months........first month 6th gear synchro replaced .........5 month new inlet manilfold needed , 6 month new timing chain and balance shaft needed ....even though the engine number was after the balance shaft update/fix.......67,000 miles with full service history :headbang:
Come to think of it, I'm only on this forum because I bought a MK1 SLK 200 and returned it back to the dealer after driving it home and hearing a faint grinding noise at certain revs. Cost to sort it was thousands and so I swapped it for a 2ltr Z4 that had just come in :driving:
Snap! I had a previous gen 320 SLK that was a 'nice' car but got me on first name terms with the local AA man so it went back to the dealer, then I bought the Z4 over 9 years ago :D
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost