Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

PistonHeads Supra review

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
mr wilks
Legend
Legend

PistonHeads Supra review

Post by mr wilks » Sat May 18, 2019 8:28 am

Anyone not in love with this thing :evil: as a massive fan of the E86 & the E89 in its coupe form (roof up) its so disappointing this isn't a Bmw G29 coupe .

Great review here from PH https://youtu.be/j3gMMzcRKXg first thing i noticed in comparison to any of the G29 models , , , the wheels actually sit & fill the arches properly unlike the new Z4

If only :happyclap:

oh dear :cry:

3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Lazza

PistonHeads Supra review

Post by Lazza » Sun May 19, 2019 10:39 pm

mr wilks wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:28 am first thing i noticed in comparison to any of the G29 models , , , the wheels actually sit & fill the arches properly unlike the new Z4
I don’t have time to read the article at the moment, almost bed time. But does it say if the test car is a JDM model? I just ask because JDM cars are often lower than Europe market cars due to different pedestrian safety regulations.
Z4 S-Drive 35i
Audi TT S-line
Mazda MX5 Mk2.5 (for sale)
Wokingham Berkshire

buzyg
Legend
Legend

PistonHeads Supra review

Post by buzyg » Sun May 19, 2019 11:03 pm

Yup, think they look great from pretty much every angle. 8)

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

PistonHeads Supra review

Post by Chris_D » Sun May 19, 2019 11:12 pm

I think it looks fab and I'll be keeping an eye on second hand prices in a couple of years 8)
If the Excel skyrockets in value and it hasn't gone pop by then, maybe I can trade it in for one. :lol:
Pigs might fly but you can hope eh....

I was chuckling at Doug deMuro's review of it the other day. He went to great efforts to outline all its' 'quirks and feeetures' and went to great lenghts to berate the aftermarket/tuner potential Toyota has built in to the car. Why not? it's always been a tuner car after all!
:roll:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

PistonHeads Supra review

Post by buzyg » Sun May 19, 2019 11:35 pm

Chris_D wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:12 pm I think it looks fab and I'll be keeping an eye on second hand prices in a couple of years 8)
If the Excel skyrockets in value and it hasn't gone pop by then, maybe I can trade it in for one. :lol:
Pigs might fly but you can hope eh....

I was chuckling at Doug deMuro's review of it the other day. He went to great efforts to outline all its' 'quirks and feeetures' and went to great lenghts to berate the aftermarket/tuner potential Toyota has built in to the car. Why not? it's always been a tuner car after all!
The Gumball, will be full of 600 bhp Supras for many years to come. :driving:

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

PistonHeads Supra review

Post by GuidoK » Mon May 20, 2019 1:34 am

Chris_D wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:12 pm He went to great efforts to outline all its' 'quirks and feeetures' and went to great lenghts to berate the aftermarket/tuner potential Toyota has built in to the car. Why not? it's always been a tuner car after all!
Sure its a tuner car, but when he points at the missing braces between strut tower and front box section, and that toyota deliberately have left them out so the aftermarket can jump into that, I can only think of one thing (well, 2 actually):
-The Z4 has them stock. Not only the m40i but all versions. As they should have....
And the 2nd thing is also interesting: in the official BMW tech manual (TIS) its stated that driving without them is not permitted.....
Of course BMW says that about all their bracings etc, but its again one of those things that I wonder WHY TOYOTA WHY?!?!?

I'm sure this is 'one of those things' that shows that toyota did so much development themselves...... leaving bracing parts out......
Because thats the thing they're constantly trying to do in all press releases, that its more than a bmw product, with that retarded Tada San (toyota;s chief engineer). He is a complete joke if he really tries to convince people that toyota had such a hand in developing this car. Guess that brace stayed in that hand
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Z4Sparky

PistonHeads Supra review

Post by Z4Sparky » Mon May 20, 2019 6:03 am

I suspect the G29 needed the strut braces to aid with body stability given that it is a convertible, but the Supra probably doesn't require it as much as it gets the rigidity from the solid roof.

It seems to me they were trying to develop to a price point and adding all these extra parts would have just taken them over that, so they have copped out by saying it is for "aftermarket tuning"
2010 E89 sDrive 2.3i Alpine White

Jaw

PistonHeads Supra review

Post by Jaw » Mon May 20, 2019 6:29 am

The elephant in the room to me is that it seems very restricted from what could have been.

sure, they say tuner market - I don't buy that.. Especially when aftermarket generally means no warranty.

I suspect it's a result of either BMW/Toyota Power struggles, or a piepeline of sportier supras to come further down the track. The looks have seriously grown on me, it's $100k locally which was a shock but the more I think about it may not be too far off the mark, but there just seems to be an aura of incompleteness about it for now
Z4M Roadster - Gone but not forgotten
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage