Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New beast

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Jaw

New beast

Post by Jaw » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:45 am

3 weeks and 5 days later and she is FINALLY in the same city!

I should be able to collect today or at the latest tomorrow just in time for a weekend spin :trampoline:
Z4M Roadster - Gone but not forgotten
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

Jaw

New beast

Post by Jaw » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:19 am

GODZILLA ARRIVED!

I don't really know where to start. She arrived with a battle scar, a scuff from transport. I was too excited about delivery to let it ruin the day but luckily I did a thorough enough inspection to notice it despite the dust. The transport co are supposedly good with that sort of thing so should make good.

Finally got her home though

First things first - to summarise. INSANE.

The Remus exhaust sounds gorgeous. Surprisingly not too vocal at idle which the neighbours will love, but it goes ballistic from 5k rpm and up.

I've driven it the grand total of 15 kms so far, on low boost it pulls 100kph in 2.7, I haven't felt the need t o up the boost just yet but that will come I'm sure.
road I know and as skeptical as I was (I'd driven an early GTR on track a wasn't blown away as it was followed by an aventador) it's just so far ahead of anything else I own. Suspension in race mode and it hunkers down, the feedback and general feel is sensational. Boost dialed up by a couple of notches, the turbos stay on song and you get a much more urgent surge right from low revs.

Instant love for the Datsun, I can't wait to explore some more technical terrain at the weekend.

I could go on for ages - and I probably will do once I've had a bit more seat time and a change of underwear.
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

BeeEmm

New beast

Post by BeeEmm » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:48 am

Love the GTR, love them. :D Stay sane.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

Jaw

New beast

Post by Jaw » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:55 pm

A few happy snaps..

Jaw

New beast

Post by Jaw » Wed May 08, 2019 3:15 am

Jembo wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:01 am 3 more sleeps.... we’re chomping for pics & a review... so don’t keep it 100% to yourself otherwise :worthless:
So I've finally had some seat time to be able to comment on how she is.

I was worried I'd be disappointed on the road. I collected it empty of fuel so was very restrained but after the first 100 kms slowly started to dial up the fun (and boost). Took it to my favorite test loop where I take any car that I get in which is a combo of sweeping straights and twistier corners. Took both the Boxster and M3 here and had a ball so figured it would be a good comparison.

In the straights it is a flat out beast :D As much as I was initially looking for something that I thought would be more 'raw' and traditionally supercar, the GTR makes a symphony of mechanical click clacks, topped off by that gorgeous sound of turbos whistliing in the cold autumn air. Seconds late the exhaust (I keep mistakenly saying Remus - it's a Miltek) starts to growl and then roar but is only really audable at high revs - I may have said already that it is significantly quieter than my Standerd e92 M3 exhaust on idle in the mornings (partly owing the the fact that the M3 raises revs to heat the cat). All the Settings in 'R' mode and it is ridiculously flat and communicative despite the weight but I still can't get my head around just how fast it seems to do.. everything..

The amount of grip and confidence you get is just ridiculous and the practically Semi Slicks let you literally point it in the direction you want and engage warp speed :D

I really love the centre display too, things that I'd never think twice about before I'm now constantly keeping an eye on, various temperatures, pressures and g-forces being one. It all adds to the sense of racecar and the way you feel connected with it. And with the boost dialled up it just keeps pulling, and pulling.. You never feel like you really need more power as you rarely get near flat out acceleration.

Brakes squeak when cold but when warm they de-laminate your face

I thought I was getting 6.8l/100km (or 41 mpg while driving off boost.) Didn't seem right. Turned out it reads in km/litre. 16 being about 18mpg. Which is better than I thought but not expected to last :fuelfire:

It lacks the all out and out no-comprimise discomfort of a fully-fledged supercar perhaps, but all in all so far it feels like the embodiment of all of those years as a kid playing gran turismo - and genuinely makes me smile just as much :D

A few initial mods are coming to mind aesthetically - I'd like the carbon fiber spoiler and bootlid for one.

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

New beast

Post by Jembo » Thu May 09, 2019 12:54 pm

Sound insane, most pleased for u.

Interesting comment about the gauges ... & why I like the M, as there’s just the mandatory 4
- oil temp
- speed
- revs
- fuel

Just be careful in very heavy rain, at +40 mph they can turn into a hovercraft on less than 5mm tread.
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Jaw

New beast

Post by Jaw » Fri May 10, 2019 3:37 am

Jembo wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:54 pm Sound insane, most pleased for u.

Interesting comment about the gauges ... & why I like the M, as there’s just the mandatory 4
- oil temp
- speed
- revs
- fuel

Just be careful in very heavy rain, at +40 mph they can turn into a hovercraft on less than 5mm tread.
Ha I can only imagine, it will be interesting to see how the 4wd system copes with the wet, but I tend to stick to something more mundane on the wet days anyway.

I usually like the basics (you can customize the screens so I go to the basic speed/temp readouts by default) but - and I guess I'm used to porsches having two which both have oil pressure readouts - I find it a comfort to know what is going on in terms of coolant, gearbox and oil temps/pressures.

Jaw

New beast

Post by Jaw » Mon May 13, 2019 9:49 am

So the OCD attack began,

First step to de-carbon the exhausts. Due to the tune etc, the soot on the inside of the exhausts was plentiful, so I attacked it with a foam cone / drill and some metal polish, before cutting the rear end. Happy with how she came out after a single pass, soon I'll fill in the stone chips and go full retard on it and then ceramic coat / ppf - but I'm waiting for the Carrier to accept that they damaged it and repair the front bumper.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

New beast

Post by enzed4 » Mon May 13, 2019 11:09 am

Respect :thumbsup:
Doesn't carry the Euro-snob badge the Mercs, BMWs and Audis do which is a bonus.
Have you heard any old buggers mumbling about 'Bathurst turbo cheats' before climbing into their HSV's / FPV's and driving off while glaring at you sideways? :rofl:
Enjoy the :driving:
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Mavster

New beast

Post by Mavster » Tue May 14, 2019 5:24 pm

I had one of these, upgraded to a 35iS :driving:
E89 35iS

Jaw

New beast

Post by Jaw » Mon May 20, 2019 6:32 am

Had a great first (proper) outing in the GT-R This weekend.

I'm fully converted. Totally addicted.

At low boost, it still has the sort of pickup that sprains necks, roaring to the redline. But at full boost it's just relentless.

Traction is awesome, and on high boost the delivery in the sweeping bends is just so silky smooth and instant, not like anything else I've owned to date. And with the boost up even the sound is amplified (as are the flames shot out of the back end). But despite the flat-ish torque curve, things still intensify as you chase the red.

It's so effortless to maintain a good pace with it but when you really start to press on in the corners and get jostled around in the seats, you really start to get an appreciation for just how much grip there is and you feel really intermingled with the mechanics

enzed4 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:09 am Respect :thumbsup:
Doesn't carry the Euro-snob badge the Mercs, BMWs and Audis do which is a bonus.
Have you heard any old buggers mumbling about 'Bathurst turbo cheats' before climbing into their HSV's / FPV's and driving off while glaring at you sideways? :rofl:
Enjoy the :driving:
Ha true I had a lady nearby telling someone about their new 'm-sport' 325, and a guy having to justify his 'actual m-car' and I love that the GTR sort of occupies its own space in that sense.

I can't stop staring at it, but at the same time it's appreciated for what it is, none of the constant having to justify it or make it clear that it isn't just for show. Just an angular, muscular sports coupe that's got its own sort of beauty. And with the exhaust it sounds VERY racecar (didn't realise how much until we hit a tunnel)

So far am not regretting not going italian or holding out for a slightly cheaper new supra. The way it just reels in other machines is addictive

Mavster wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:24 pm I had one of these, upgraded to a 35iS :driving:
I guess everybody defines "upgrade" differently :driving:

Very happy so far!
Last edited by Jaw on Mon May 20, 2019 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mavster

New beast

Post by Mavster » Mon May 20, 2019 7:18 am

You are right, I was joking about upgrade tbh, however the GTR I had which was only a year old at the time felt a bit cheap and dated, it didnt feel mind bending quick either like other cars I've had the privilege to own. Actually the Z should feel dated but kinda doesn't.

Sounds like you are having fun in your new car , so enjoy. :thumbsup:
E89 35iS

Jaw

New beast

Post by Jaw » Mon May 20, 2019 8:18 am

Mavster wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:18 am You are right, I was joking about upgrade tbh, however the GTR I had which was only a year old at the time felt a bit cheap and dated, it didnt feel mind bending quick either like other cars I've had the privilege to own. Actually the Z should feel dated but kinda doesn't.

Sounds like you are having fun in your new car , so enjoy. :thumbsup:
heh kind of what I meant, in terms of build quality or even legspace, convertibleness etc etc there's probably many 'slower' cars that some might see as an upgrade :D

Although I don't find the GTR to feel cheap - certainly no cheaper than my old vantage, but there is a significant difference between it and the boxster where everything feels more top-shelf, sturdier etc..

Was yours stock? I drove one around a track a few years ago and didn't find it to be all that (I drove an aventador after though so it was somewhat overshadowed), but at this state of tune the difference is night and day - I do think the same power in something more like the 996 would feel much faster

Mavster

New beast

Post by Mavster » Mon May 20, 2019 8:27 am

Yes, it was stock and I had just come out of a V10 remapped RS6 which was running about 760HP, so that didn't help it's case either. :D
E89 35iS

Jaw

New beast

Post by Jaw » Mon May 20, 2019 8:41 am

Mavster wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:27 am Yes, it was stock and I had just come out of a V10 remapped RS6 which was running about 760HP, so that didn't help it's case either. :D
That'll be part of the problem ;)

It's a slippery slope, a friend's R8 (stock) felt quite pedestrian after, so I suppose it's all very relative!

I went for a squirt in the M3 after, and although I will always love it, I simply won't be able to enjoy it as much until I hit the bends any more.