Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

GT4, one of the few cars I have thought about swapping to

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:42 am

Least it’s cheap to fix.......5k :o
A Dirty M///

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:50 am

Bodyboarder wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:27 am
Nictrix wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:45 pm Why would you post a vid of tracking/crashing your car whilst still under warranty and then hope that Porsche don't watch it when trying to claim for something broken. :headbang:
Spot on :thumbsup:

That damaged was clearly done on that big off he had and then he’s not noticed a crack and carried on driving it . After a bit of time it’s cracked all the way round .

Yes it’s a track car but it’s like saying ‘ I’ve hit a tyre wall and my front bumper needs replacing under warranty ‘

It’s a joke .... and it’s all documented on YouTube , both owner and vlogger didn’t really think this one through , and quite frankly made themselves look like a right couple of prats
Great example of the web at its best & worst... the main reason why I’ve declared all my mods & now avoid certain things

I’m extra vigilant in the M, though in a couple of past cars in the dark over winter have twice hit a heavy pothole, damaging tyres & alloys - the body turret never sustained any visible damage.

IMO the wheel should buckle or fracture well before, implying the car’s body should be stronger & potentially there’s a design flaw from the metal being too thin in the pursuit of a lighter car.
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:14 am

Looks like poor design from where I am sitting. No car should do that. You might expect a damaged tyre, wheel or shock after a vertical impact and yes the top mount might fail but that should be a replaceable part. Are there other makes of car documented with this issue?

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:06 pm

buzyg wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:14 am Looks like poor design from where I am sitting. No car should do that. You might expect a damaged tyre, wheel or shock after a vertical impact and yes the top mount might fail but that should be a replaceable part. Are there other makes of car documented with this issue?
The follow up vid is worth watching. A tech talks through the construction of the subframe/strut assembly in that area and why different materials behave differently under sudden impact load. Steel stretches, aluminium alloys fracture, carbon can break internally. All sounds pretty reasonable to me, as does the estimated repair cost/time of £5k and two weeks. I can believe that a lot of people are driving around in bent steel chassis from the number of alignment results you see that don't quite seem right! He also points out that the strut tower damage was likely secondary to a smaller, initial break around one of the bolts (which is much more common, hence reinforcement rings etc on many motorsports/aftermarket top mounts).

With the 718 GT4/Spyder just round corner, it will be interesting to see whether any reinforcement is added from the factory. If not then I'd assume a combination of arrogance/confidence on Porsche's part. They would probably argue that the whole car is built to similar tolerances and there's no reason they'd make an exception for that particular area when, on the customer side, they could be dealing with anything from a parking ding to a full speed spin sideways into a sausage kerb on a track.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

TomK

Post by TomK » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:00 pm

MrPT wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:13 pm I don't know what to make of this guy. He comes across ok, but then who, with the whole world watching, wipes bird poo off a GT4 with their bare hand and rubs it off on a tyre? :rofl:
I know right! :lol: Couldn't quite believe what I was seeing!

Anyway, aside from all the warranty nonsense (porsche do generally warrant their GT cars knowing full well they've had track usage(search around if you don't believe me), though they do have a get out that's true). It's imo completely unacceptable for a car to fail like that, whether it goes into the kitty litter or not (I highly doubt that was the cause of the failure myself). It's a GT series car, comes with an extra manual for track preparation of the car, it should be used hard, that is how I (and I hope any other owner) would, and a failure like that should really not happen. It's potentially so bloody dangerous, imagine that happening at the ring or some track or other :o Disgraceful engineering for a car with an expected usage profile like that imo.
The fact they WELDED third gear to the shaft is quite frankly astonishing, both issues have completely sullied my opinion of the GT brand tbh:cry:
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

TomK

Post by TomK » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:35 pm

Marlon wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:02 pm My brother's got a GT4 RS
:scratchhead: gosh does he work for porsche and have one of their prototypes? Given an RS GT4 is unavailable (yet) to the public.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:45 pm

TomK wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:00 pm The fact they WELDED third gear to the shaft is quite frankly astonishing...
Yeah, that is bizarre. Had to skip back and listen to what they said for a second time because I thought I'd misheard.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

TomK

Post by TomK » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:58 pm

Almost as if they knew most of the ones they sold would be garaged by speculators and never used :D
Or geared so long you've no real reason to go to third :)

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:27 pm

TomK wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:35 pm
Marlon wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:02 pm My brother's got a GT4 RS
:scratchhead: gosh does he work for porsche and have one of their prototypes? Given an RS GT4 is unavailable (yet) to the public.
Yeah, got a bit carried away there :oops:
His is a 911 GTS 7 speed dual clutch PDK auto pushing out 444bhp
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:00 pm

MrPT wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:06 pm
buzyg wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:14 am Looks like poor design from where I am sitting. No car should do that. You might expect a damaged tyre, wheel or shock after a vertical impact and yes the top mount might fail but that should be a replaceable part. Are there other makes of car documented with this issue?
The follow up vid is worth watching. A tech talks through the construction of the subframe/strut assembly in that area and why different materials behave differently under sudden impact load. Steel stretches, aluminium alloys fracture, carbon can break internally. All sounds pretty reasonable to me, as does the estimated repair cost/time of £5k and two weeks. I can believe that a lot of people are driving around in bent steel chassis from the number of alignment results you see that don't quite seem right! He also points out that the strut tower damage was likely secondary to a smaller, initial break around one of the bolts (which is much more common, hence reinforcement rings etc on many motorsports/aftermarket top mounts).

With the 718 GT4/Spyder just round corner, it will be interesting to see whether any reinforcement is added from the factory. If not then I'd assume a combination of arrogance/confidence on Porsche's part. They would probably argue that the whole car is built to similar tolerances and there's no reason they'd make an exception for that particular area when, on the customer side, they could be dealing with anything from a parking ding to a full speed spin sideways into a sausage kerb on a track.
Wasn’t the front offside the wheel he smacked on a kerb from memory? That kind of hit coupled with low profile tyre and short spring travel could well easily cause the start of a fracture. They’re not meant to be smacked like that, no production sports car is. If the car is used on track with no pre fracture there won’t be a problem. I’m going on memory from the vid so I’ll stand corrected.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:06 am

john-e89 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:00 pm
MrPT wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:06 pm

Wasn’t the front offside the wheel he smacked on a kerb from memory? That kind of hit coupled with low profile tyre and short spring travel could well easily cause the start of a fracture. They’re not meant to be smacked like that, no production sports car is. If the car is used on track with no pre fracture there won’t be a problem. I’m going on memory from the vid so I’ll stand corrected.
Your missing my point John. If some driver, plonker or skilled racer on the limit, drives over a kerb at speed, then yes something is going to get damaged. What I am saying is the point of failure should be designed. Like a fuse in an electrical circuit. The structure should not be the weakest point. That would be like the wire melting somewhere in the ring main. Not good design and dangerous.

Bodyboarder

Post by Bodyboarder » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:02 am

.... from memory from when I watched the 2nd vlog , think the Porsche tech also said that the wheel is buckled.

But ultimately I’m also put off by it for such a prestigious track focused car . As said there really should be something else that ‘goes ‘ first before that !

I still think it’s all about that spin . Watch it closely and the whole car and all it’s weight is put on that front corner .... almost looks like the car comes off the ground .

And yes did go out and check mine :rofl:

Pete-r

Post by Pete-r » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:13 am

If you listen closely to the spin video, at 14:50 the owner says the car is juddering and "I might have bent something".

No mention of that in the next video where he makes it seem like the strut has popped through on a flat road.

Weird...

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:50 am

The spin looked rather violent - the car almost started to roll as it dug in. Whilst there was no mention of a buckled wheel in the video and allegedly he went back out for a few more laps, I don’t remember seeing any further footage of the car moving after the spin. I don’t think there’s even any footage with the bonnet closed after the spin as that would give a clue as to the condition of the strut tower. It’s possible the suspension failed and the wheel buckled on the track and both of them know that but were hoping for a warranty or insurance payout.

Of course, the alternative is that he had a further incident at a later time, perhaps on the road and involving a kerb. That would be a more credible explanation for the buckled wheel and failed strut tower than “I was driving on smooth tarmac in a straight line”!
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:00 pm

How many times have we seen other cars spin violently @ speed, where I thought the recent Z4MC track vid spin was going much faster & no report of damage - the points made my buzgy & myself earlier are whether it’s acceptable for a prestige race thoroughbread to have this kind of failure?

Happens once... hey ho... a number of times & there’s clearly a design flaw, irrespective of whether the drivers are Muppets
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54