Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

GT4, one of the few cars I have thought about swapping to

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:10 pm

Wheel buckled and a top strut nut that started to punch through the tower (the equivalent of which on a steel chassis would be a bent strut tower). Doesn’t that constitute “something else going first”?

Genuine question... I don’t know enough about the pattern of failure with these GTs to say, either way.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:56 pm

Jembo wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:00 pm How many times have we seen other cars spin violently @ speed, where I thought the recent Z4MC track vid spin was going much faster & no report of damage - the points made my buzgy & myself earlier are whether it’s acceptable for a prestige race thoroughbread to have this kind of failure?

Happens once... hey ho... a number of times & there’s clearly a design flaw, irrespective of whether the drivers are Muppets
Tom's spin didn't lift the car and then thump it back down, it was entirely a slide. The GT4 spin was much more violent.

I think the problem relates to the choice of construction material. Porsche have accepted the lesser mechanical properties of aluminium compared with steel as a trade off for its lightness. Perhaps they should have made the strut towers from steel and the non-structural panels from aluminium :scratchhead:
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:37 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:56 pm
Jembo wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:00 pm How many times have we seen other cars spin violently @ speed, where I thought the recent Z4MC track vid spin was going much faster & no report of damage - the points made my buzgy & myself earlier are whether it’s acceptable for a prestige race thoroughbread to have this kind of failure?

Happens once... hey ho... a number of times & there’s clearly a design flaw, irrespective of whether the drivers are Muppets
Tom's spin didn't lift the car and then thump it back down, it was entirely a slide. The GT4 spin was much more violent.

I think the problem relates to the choice of construction material. Porsche have accepted the lesser mechanical properties of aluminium compared with steel as a trade off for its lightness. Perhaps they should have made the strut towers from steel and the non-structural panels from aluminium :scratchhead:
Agreed Tom’s was less violent Rich, though intended as just one example of many other spins.

IMO suggest we remember what happened to Senna where part of the car’s suspension sheered off, just consider if one of these struts were to punch their way into the cabin through total loss of structural integrity...

If I owned one of these cars, this would now be in the back of my mind thinking if I were to have a serious accident... on the track or on the road
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54