Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Annoying MOT Advisories

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Annoying MOT Advisories

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:37 pm

So I took my E91 in for it's MOT test today.

When he'd finished to tester came back to the office waiting area and said it was a fail because the rear brake pads were very worn - no mention of any issue with efficiency.

So I expressed surprise, because according to the OBC they've got 28,000 miles left in them - at which point he said he'd put it as an advisory.

I didn't argue as I just wanted that bit of paper, but he must have missed the fronts because they're showing as only 26,000 miles to go! :lol:

I only started going here a couple of years ago because I got a few stupid advisories (like low engine oil - even though the low level light wasn't on) at the previous place.

Why the f*ck do they have to do it? :headbang:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Annoying MOT Advisories

Post by Smartbear » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:21 pm

My nephew used to be a tester & told me they’re “expected” to raise advisories on mot certs, probably an underhand way of removing more older cars from the roads :roll:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

srhutch

Annoying MOT Advisories

Post by srhutch » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:33 pm

I tend to ignore advisories that are subjective like pads and disks when looking at cars.

The mini I picked up last year had a number of advisories and two failures. I sorted the failures and took to my mot station and they gave a 100% clean bill of health, and I hadn’t touched the advisories.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Annoying MOT Advisories

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:47 pm

Many of them certainly seem to approach it that way.

The car had no advisories last year, and it's done less than 6,000 miles since then! But now it's got 3 advisories (other 2 were for slight misting from each front shock, which may be fair enough as I haven't looked at them).

I might have a quiet word with the boss as he's a mate of a mate - I don't want the same grief when I take the Z4 later this year! :roll:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

greg81

Annoying MOT Advisories

Post by greg81 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:52 pm

Is it worth of kicking up a fuss over a brake pad advisory? Are you keen to keep an immaculate history?

If I were you I'd plan to replace the pads at some point over the next few months and be done with it.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Annoying MOT Advisories

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:03 am

greg81 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:52 pm Is it worth of kicking up a fuss over a brake pad advisory? Are you keen to keep an immaculate history?

If I were you I'd plan to replace the pads at some point over the next few months and be done with it.
I know the actual situation, so can live with it - to be honest what annoyed me was that until I said something it was going to be a Fail. :x

But as we all know from reading comments on cars for sale, any prospective future buyer is likely to be influenced buy such things!

I'll have a proper look at them myself when I go back to the summer tyres and decide then - 1st world problems and all that. :roll:
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Paulwirral

Annoying MOT Advisories

Post by Paulwirral » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:24 am

A few years ago I got an advisory on a pick up truck , drop link on steering arm so it would only get worse with use , fast forward 12 months and probably only 5000 miles tops , and the same guy testing it at the same station doesn't mention it . I actually consider him an occasional friend and know him and his kids so I'm sure he want trying it on first time , he knows I'd fix it and he wouldn't get a job out of it . Im not sure why people make a fuss of advisories on tests , they invariably mean very little , as mentioned, I'm pretty sure the tester has certain targets to meet to avoid an investigation to themselves?

road warrior

Annoying MOT Advisories

Post by road warrior » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:04 am

Frankly Mr tidy I would take my custom elsewhere with that petty attitude . My local place said today about my impending mot when I mentioned my airbag light come an hour early and we will turn it out for you.
Somewhat different hmm?
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Annoying MOT Advisories

Post by ph001 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:38 pm

Garages LOVE changing brake pads because it's a piece of piss to do so they make loads of margin on them by putting the 16yr old apprentice on it. A less clued up person would have just had them change the brake pads to get the pass. It's been going in for years, a very well known and underhand practice.

It's the reason I have all my MOTs done at one of the several hundred local council places. They don't offer any repair services so have no vested interest in failing things for no good reason. You can find your nearest one here... https://www.money.co.uk/guides/council- ... ee-mot.htm
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

derin100

Annoying MOT Advisories

Post by derin100 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:13 pm

I agree with Mr Tidy and others on this. It's so flipping irksome! :x
And it is as others have said I think, merely to demonstrate to someone, somewhere along the line that they appear to be doing their job thoroughly. Examples:
1) I have as near perfect as I can imagine an E31 840Ci Sport with only 27K miles on the clock that I've owned for 13 years . In fact, it was a featured car in this month's BMW Car Magazine. About 10 years ago, a tester issued an Advisory of "Slight corrosion" on one brake pipe. Yet, at all subsequent MOTs this has never been mentioned.

2) It can become particularly irksome when you're trying to sell a car.
I've just sold my 2007 E85 3.0Si Roadster. At the MOT before last the young lad who'd just passed his MOT certification (in fact mine was one of the first cars he did on his first official solo day) issued Advisory on "Slight corrosion" on some of the brake pipes (nothing else btw). Yet at a subsequent MOT done by a more experienced ex-BMW mechanic...no mention at all! Some it was the young lad simply trying to impress upon his new boss that he was doing his job thoroughly.
But you then have to explain all of this to potential buyers and it looks like you're trying to hoodwink someone! :x

3) We have an E39 Touring that we keep out in SW France but which was originally a UK car.
You take it for its bi-annual Controlle Technique their and ask if it's 'ok' and you get the answer: "Yes...it's ok. It rust underneath on the brake-pipes...this is normal for an English car. Allez!"

I wonder whether MOT Testing stations even have targets set by DVLA as to how Advisories they need to have issued to retain accreditations?
E85 3.0Si Silver on Black (Gone and will be missed)
E85 M Roadster Silver Grey on Black
E85 Alpina Roadster S Toledo Blue on Black

Player 1

Annoying MOT Advisories

Post by Player 1 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:01 pm

Smartbear wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:21 pm My nephew used to be a tester & told me they’re “expected” to raise advisories on mot certs, probably an underhand way of removing more older cars from the roads :roll:
Rob
Crazy isn't it? There's a garage local to me that will, without fail, put an advisory for one or more wheel bearings on every car I've seen MOT'd there.
The one's that really wind me up are those for 'undertray's fitted' or 'drivers view obstructed' by an air fresher or some such. :headbang:

derin100

Annoying MOT Advisories

Post by derin100 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:02 am

Player 1 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:01 pm
Smartbear wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:21 pm My nephew used to be a tester & told me they’re “expected” to raise advisories on mot certs, probably an underhand way of removing more older cars from the roads :roll:
Rob
'undertray's fitted' :headbang:
Yes! That one is just lunacy!

The answer to that is, "Yes...because that's the way the manufacturers made it from new! So why are you implying that there might be faults hidden underneath them? If you really do suspect there are, take them off and have a look...otherwise SHUT UP!"

:headbang:
E85 3.0Si Silver on Black (Gone and will be missed)
E85 M Roadster Silver Grey on Black
E85 Alpina Roadster S Toledo Blue on Black

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Annoying MOT Advisories

Post by mmm-five » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:52 am

They’re not allowed to remove covers - that’s why they’re stating that there’s covered fitted.

We couldn’t test xxx because it is covered - so we can’t fail it either, but we can put a note on the form.

Have had the same thing for many years on both the M5 and the Z4. Bit my current MOT tester doesn’t bother writing it anymore.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

srhutch

Annoying MOT Advisories

Post by srhutch » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:34 pm

mmm-five wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:52 am They’re not allowed to remove covers - that’s why they’re stating that there’s covered fitted.

We couldn’t test xxx because it is covered - so we can’t fail it either, but we can put a note on the form.

Have had the same thing for many years on both the M5 and the Z4. Bit my current MOT tester doesn’t bother writing it anymore.
mmm-five wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:52 am They’re not allowed to remove covers - that’s why they’re stating that there’s covered fitted.

Exactly

I had a ball joint fail on the mini I bought last year. The tester said if you bought it back with a plastic bag tied round it I'd have to pass it as we are not allowed to remove.

Onlt time covers have been mentioned on an MOT on my zed though was when BMW tested it :? :lol: