Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Browsing for a cheap daily driver - The search is over! 27/05/2019

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
tee.gilding

Browsing for a cheap daily driver

Post by tee.gilding » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:33 am

mmm-five wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:48 am I know reliability was never their selling point, but the later Alfa’s are no less reliable than any other marque, and the parts are relatively cheap.

If I needed the extra space over my 147 (which I’m doing 25,000 miles a year in and averaging 50mpg on a 210 mile, 80mph motorway cruise), then I’d look out for a 156 Sportwagon, although they’re not the easiest cars to find in diesel form, and the 1.9 16v JTDm is the sweet spot, but...

2.4 JTD for £1000
I owned a 156 once upon a time. It wasn't high mileage, but it was terrible for reliability! I spent more than the purchase price keeping it on the road over 5 years! So, yeah, while I love the look and feel of them, I'd struggle to convince myself to buy an Alfa again in a hurry...
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport (E86) : Stratus Grey : Black Oregon leather : 19" Veemann V-FS33 : BC Racing coilovers : Kumho Ecsta rubber : MTEC discs : Brembo pads : stubby aerial : ZHP gear knob

Instagram: @stratus.z4coupe

tee.gilding

Post by tee.gilding » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:17 am

Thanks all for your input so far! After a bit of research over the weekend I think I've narrowed down my search based on market availability and feedback from this forum.

I had a look at pre-06 Mondeo, Focus, Golf and Passat estates to try to avoid the DPF thing. While this does bring the annual tax figure up a little bit, these cars do tend to be more affordable (at least in their purchase price!) so I think I'll aim for this era of car. But also looking in to what it available, the Ford's I saw mostly tended to be less cared for than the VW's, which leans me toward the Golf and Passats instead. And seeing as I want a decent capacity in the car, that leans me even more towards the Passat.

So, at this stage my thinking is: 2002-2005 VW Passat 1.9 TDI. They're a little more expensive on annual tax and their economy isn't as favourable as the other three, but I prefer them on an aesthetic basis so I can stomach the slightly elevated running costs.

Has anyone got any experience with these cars? Know what to look out for? Or have one for sale??
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport (E86) : Stratus Grey : Black Oregon leather : 19" Veemann V-FS33 : BC Racing coilovers : Kumho Ecsta rubber : MTEC discs : Brembo pads : stubby aerial : ZHP gear knob

JamieZ4C

Post by JamieZ4C » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:38 am

Great cars - especially the 130 tdi Highline. Plenty of 04 and 05 models out there. One from VW's more reliable days.

The engine really is a peach. I had an almost identical 130 tdi in a Seat Toledo. Bought it at 120k miles and 5 years/60k miles later it was still going strong. Good performance and great economy. Absolutely great car and only reason I sold it was because it was a saloon and so a nightmare getting kids stuff in and out the boot.

A few pointers here grabbed from Passat forum for you, mostly about water ingress...

check for water damage in passenger front foot well - lift the carpet and the the black box which contains the ccm (ccm controls the electrics for the doors and tailgate)

check where the battery is doesn't have any water
and in the brake servo (this can be expensive) and also dangerous

make sure all the electrics work remote central locking and the lock button on the drivers door

also get the car diagnosed with vag com for any fault codes (before purchase)

Try and test the alarm as this can also have water damage but in most cases just needs drying out.

For estates only, the pipe for the rear wiper washer jet can come apart behind the panel on the passengers side in the boot and also inside the tailgate itself. so if the boot is wet that's probably what caused it.

tee.gilding

Post by tee.gilding » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:09 am

Thanks JamieZ4C! That's some solid pointers, much appreciated! So it's mostly water ingress to keep an eye out for. I suppose buying in winter/spring is probably the best time then - more likely to exhibit signs of water ingress than in the summer when it's had time to dry out.

JamieZ4C

Post by JamieZ4C » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:53 am

No worries mate, and like you say a good time of year for spotting any leaks. Good luck with the search :thumbsup:

tee.gilding

Post by tee.gilding » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:20 pm

So since the last time I discussed this I've narrowed my search to two cars:
  • 2003-2005 BMW (E46) 320d touring (facelift)
    2002-2005 VW Passat TDI Highline
Both appeal to me both visually and practically, and are very similar on paper. The E46 will be marginally faster and a bit better looking especially if in Sport trim, but that's not incredibly important when it comes to my daily commute.

I'm heading away for a couple weeks from next week and will be putting my current daily up for sale when I'm back and fixed a couple little bits. Anyone got anything to say on either of the two models above?

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:32 pm

The BMW diesels tend to have more problems than the VW ones.

The VW will be cheaper to run.

The BMW will be built better and handle better - and even a diesel BMW can be made into a fun RWD track car :P
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

tee.gilding

Post by tee.gilding » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:23 pm

mmm-five wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:32 pm The VW will be cheaper to run.
I suspected as much - but there is the whole "VW diesel" stigma to then deal with...

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:37 pm

tee.gilding wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:23 pm
mmm-five wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:32 pm The VW will be cheaper to run.
I suspected as much - but there is the whole "VW diesel" stigma to then deal with...
Skoda Superb or Seat Exeo/Toledo then :P
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:33 pm

I had a 2003 320td as my daily for a few years. The only maintenance it required were the replacement of a split turbo hose and eventually a new clutch at >150,000 miles.
Importantly, the previous owner had removed the swirl flaps (which are plastic and can break up damaging the engine). It’s a wise thing to do if running a BMW diesel of that vintage.
Mine was a compact and it was reasonably quick, efficient (except in town where a small petrol engine would have been better) and handled really nicely. I really wanted a 330d in M Sport trim but couldn’t find a good one at the time.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:44 pm

I had a facelift E46 320td Compact as my only car for three years from 2005 to 2008, and had no issues at all with it - mind you it had done less than 45K miles when I sold it. :roll:

It was never going to be a rocket, but I liked the RWD balance and with 150bhp it was more powerful than most other 4 cylinder diesels at the time. And despite using that extra power fairly often over the 40+K miles I had it the mpg averaged over 47, which I thought was good.

But I think if I was looking for a Touring I'd want a facelift 330d! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

QUIKSTER

Post by QUIKSTER » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:52 pm

I've just put up for sale a car that I bought for Mrs for 6 months whilst she waited for her company lease car order.

It previously belonged to my Indi VW mechanic for years.

Its a 2002 VW Bora 1.8T Sport (180BHP) Pretty rare as find more the Diesel versions, has covered 159k miles.

Full add is on Gumtree.
https://www.gumtree.com/p/volkswagen/fo ... 1331354819

I'm after £1,350 ONO

tee.gilding

Post by tee.gilding » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:48 am

QUIKSTER wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:52 pm I've just put up for sale a car that I bought for Mrs for 6 months whilst she waited for her company lease car order.

It previously belonged to my Indi VW mechanic for years.

Its a 2002 VW Bora 1.8T Sport (180BHP) Pretty rare as find more the Diesel versions, has covered 159k miles.

Full add is on Gumtree.
https://www.gumtree.com/p/volkswagen/fo ... 1331354819

I'm after £1,350 ONO
Thanks, nice car! But I'm looking for a diesel, due to the mileage I'm covering on the daily.
BMWZ4MC wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:33 pm I had a 2003 320td as my daily for a few years. The only maintenance it required were the replacement of a split turbo hose and eventually a new clutch at >150,000 miles.
Importantly, the previous owner had removed the swirl flaps (which are plastic and can break up damaging the engine). It’s a wise thing to do if running a BMW diesel of that vintage.
Mine was a compact and it was reasonably quick, efficient (except in town where a small petrol engine would have been better) and handled really nicely. I really wanted a 330d in M Sport trim but couldn’t find a good one at the time.
I used to run a 325ti Sport as my daily. Loved it! But I need something bigger now, hence the thought of a touring. Good to hear it was reasonably reliable - I've found one nearby on 115k miles, and I'd be getting the swirl flaps and CDV deleted as first priority!

tee.gilding

Post by tee.gilding » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:29 am

Reviving an old thread here, but I've been searching around now for a while (and struggling) to find a reasonable condition 320d touring for reasonable money within a reasonable distance from where I live. I narrowly missed out on one 15 miles away by getting in touch just after it sold, so I was gutted about that, but the hunt continues.

So, has anyone got, or know of, any 320d's in/around Portsmouth-Southampton-Bournemouth area, which may not necessarily be up for sale but might be considered for sale if the right offer was put forward?

Ideal spec would be:

2002 - 2005 BMW 320d ES/SE touring, facelift model
Manual, <150k miles, FSH, unmodified preferably
Darker colours (black, blue, or the darker silvers), in good condition for age (not a rust bucket or a demolition derby special please!)
Not too much of a "unique interior"! Something simple like black or grey cloth is perfect.

I keep finding cars which match my spec but are in Manchester, Glasgow, or Leeds, all of which are a very long way to travel for a car which isn't worth a lot of money!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Browsing for a cheap daily driver - E46 320d touring - HELP!

Post by hopz121 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:09 pm

I have a golf mk5 1.9tdi as a daily and its great around 60mpg and fairy good at most things too.

Things to check,

Rust on front wings, (corrosion warranty is 12 years)
AC works (its always on in most golfs and usually this kills the compressor early)
Cambelt done every 5 years
Clutch and flywheel is around £1000+ my flywheel went at 127,000
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone