Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Other cars in the UK

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
ocrx8

Other cars in the UK

Post by ocrx8 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:17 pm

I did a fair bit of driving over the Christmas break this year and one thing really struck me - 99% of other cars on the road are bland beyond belief! It’s a sea of monochrome SUVs in varying sizes along with boggo German hatches, with very little else in between. What happened to variety?!
Current: '08 ///MR | Interlagos | Champagne | Nav | DSP | Cruise | Intravee | ZHP | Black Grilles | Stubby

Previous: '56 3.0si Sport Roadster | Ruby Black | Extended Champagne | Nav | DSP | Xenons | 108s | Non-RFs | Stubby

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Other cars in the UK

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:32 pm

It's been like that for a while - after all how many manufacturers actually make anything other than SUVs and different sized versions of the same generic car (as in A1, A3, A4, A6, etc.).

And then they all seem to be some shade between white, silver, grey and black - just to add to the tedium. :headbang:

Whereas an Interlagos MR (or a Montego E86) certainly stand out! :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Other cars in the UK

Post by buzyg » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:30 pm

I saw an a Nissan Duke the other day. Nice enough. Then realised I was looking at the new Jaguar SUV. :oops:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Other cars in the UK

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:57 pm

buzyg wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:30 pm I saw an a Nissan Duke the other day.
Except Nissan call it a "Juke" - I still can't decide whether it is a Nissan Joke or a Nissan Puke! :sick:

Whatever, it's just another generic blob. They are all at it - is it a Nissan CashCow, Honda CR-V, HR-V, Renault Scenic, Peugeot 3008, Ford B-Max, C-Max, Kuga, Vauxhall Mokka, Zafira, Citroen Picasshole, or whatever (maybe even a Jaguar E-Pace)!

I hope I never get anything like any of those - otherwise all hope is gone! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Other cars in the UK

Post by buzyg » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:44 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:57 pm
buzyg wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:30 pm I saw an a Nissan Duke the other day.
Except Nissan call it a "Juke" - I still can't decide whether it is a Nissan Joke or a Nissan Puke! :sick:

Whatever, it's just another generic blob. They are all at it - is it a Nissan CashCow, Honda CR-V, HR-V, Renault Scenic, Peugeot 3008, Ford B-Max, C-Max, Kuga, Vauxhall Mokka, Zafira, Citroen Picasshole, or whatever (maybe even a Jaguar E-Pace)!

I hope I never get anything like any of those - otherwise all hope is gone! :lol:
I make no apologies for not knowing the name of an SUV. :P

Googled them, it was an Fpace it's the cashflow it looks just like. Jaguar are clearly hoping for their own cash cow. :roll:

beanie

Other cars in the UK

Post by beanie » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:45 am

Whilst there’s obviously a majority of bland cars about, I couldn’t believe the variety of interesting/different cars I’ve seen in the last few days. GT4, GT3, Caterham, RX8, M/RS/AMG, tons of Tesla’s, Bentley’s, Mustangs, Morgans - the list goes on.

Compared to France or Italy it really is a breath of automotive fresh air coming back to the UK.
RUBYIMOLACARBON

Trav

Other cars in the UK

Post by Trav » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:50 am

I blame PCP and insurance companies. Even kids fresh into their first employment are drawn to new small blobs. Adverts that sell them a PCP for only twice their phone contract cost.You end up stuck behind them in their 30cc cars, as big brother is also watching their every move with curfew boxes. You dont see so many on their driveway trying to make an old banger interesting, or more roadworthy.
Often whatever plaftform the manufacturers have collectively decided to push is where the deals are. If you have a family and are on a budget you get the practical blob.
If they make something beautiful you would keep it. Manufacturers dont want you to do that.
Z4MR A.W.

chrisgreen

Other cars in the UK

Post by chrisgreen » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:19 pm

They wouldnt make them/sell if there wasnt demand or if people didnt like them!

Majority of drivers just want something economical, practical, comfortable with all the toys and decent performance. You have to admit modern cars are excellent at this. Add in the extra reliability from cars nowadays (no difference between fords/hyundai and premium brands) unlike in the previous eras where if you wanted something reliable you had to buy german or japanese.

Having said this both my motors are over 14 years old so you know where i stand :rofl:
'04 E85 Z4 3.0 silver/black - daily driver :driving: - Sold
'02 E46 M3 PY/Kiwi
'05 E46 330d Touring - Silver Grey/Black

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Other cars in the UK

Post by Jembo » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:31 pm

Suggest the best time for an automotive orgasum is to drive the opposite way after the 24h at Le Mans... did that this year & the exotic variety of automotive creativity wasn’t far off the who’s who of cars on this planet
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Other cars in the UK

Post by Angie4m » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:43 pm

Funny I wouldn’t say that my cars are exciting to everyone, at least 3 attract quite a bit of attention....however the M4 tends to get lots of comments about the colour mostly from males and how they don’t like it (because I clearly should have consulted them prior) and asking me why I didn’t go for silver, black or white. Really? In an M4?

I still remember being so disappointed with the 4 colour choices only on the FN2s and even more disappointed by the 3 colour options only for the 1M and I didn’t like any of them so passed up on my opportunity to buy one (bad idea :headbang:)
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring