Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

UP! GTI

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

UP! GTI

Post by TitanTim » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:49 pm

Spent some time earlier speccing up an UP GTI as turning my mind to potentially swapping my little Hyundai i10 once its 2 years old next March, have to say the i10 has been briliant as a town runabout and would have another, the dealer has been impressive as well compared to my usual BMW dealings. It would however be nice to have a change and perhaps somerhing a little sportier hence considering the UP, its pricepoint isn't too bad although starts getting expensive upto 17k if you want most of the niceties that the i10 has as standard.

One thing that really crossed my mind with the UP GTI is a car badged as such with no more power than most mundane family cars on the road :cry: I imagine every man and his dog would take great pleasure in overtaking you, something thats not an issue with the i10 as its not that type of car with pretensions.

Would this bother you? starting to think maybe a standard UP might be better.

I think there might be 8/12 month waiting time for the GTI due to demand so obviously most people aren't bothered about lack of power

Tim.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

UP! GTI

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:47 am

When I bought my 1st Z4C I knew I would need something vaguely sensible, so I got a Mazda 323f 1.5 litre (for cheap road tax)!

That lasted a few months until I got bored to death with it and replaced it with an E46 BMW 325ti Sport. :lol:

Which I have recently replaced with an E91 325i as it's even more practical, and a bit more powerful! But much more powerful than any Up, GTi or not. :lol:

I just don't seem to be able to put up with mediocre! :rofl:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

IRD

UP! GTI

Post by IRD » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:08 am

We had a top of the range Up from the previous generation. It had few more bhp than the standard Up and wasn’t too bad as a run about . It could hold it’s own on the motorways too as long as you kept the revs up. However hit any sort of hill at low revs and you had to watch out for cyclists passing you. No doubt the GTI will have a bit more ooomph! It was nicely finished inside and had a few nice touches. Held it’s price well too. :thumbsup:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

UP! GTI

Post by buzyg » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:34 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:47 am That lasted a few months until I got bored to death with it and replaced it with an E46 BMW 325ti Sport.

I just don't seem to be able to put up with mediocre! :rofl:
Says the man who drives a 325. :evil: :wink:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

UP! GTI

Post by buzyg » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:35 am

TitanTim wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:49 pm Spent some time earlier speccing up an UP GTI as turning my mind to potentially swapping my little Hyundai i10 once its 2 years old next March, have to say the i10 has been briliant as a town runabout and would have another, the dealer has been impressive as well compared to my usual BMW dealings. It would however be nice to have a change and perhaps somerhing a little sportier hence considering the UP, its pricepoint isn't too bad although starts getting expensive upto 17k if you want most of the niceties that the i10 has as standard.

One thing that really crossed my mind with the UP GTI is a car badged as such with no more power than most mundane family cars on the road :cry: I imagine every man and his dog would take great pleasure in overtaking you, something thats not an issue with the i10 as its not that type of car with pretensions.

Would this bother you? starting to think maybe a standard UP might be better.

I think there might be 8/12 month waiting time for the GTI due to demand so obviously most people aren't bothered about lack of power

Tim.
They do look like fun little cars. :thumbsup:

TonyP

UP! GTI

Post by TonyP » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:47 am

Weren't you having this same conundrum a couple of years ago before ending up with the i10?

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

UP! GTI

Post by TitanTim » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:23 am

TonyP wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:47 am Weren't you having this same conundrum a couple of years ago before ending up with the i10?
Thanks for the replies chaps,

Yes Tony, I looked at the UP at the time the GTI wasnt around then, I went for the i10 simply as it had more kit on the car and a heated steering wheel :) but now the GTI is around it's a contender for the money and a bit more fun. I'm really impressed with the Hyundai though it one of those cars you know won't break or fall apart, the old kappa engine is weak though, needs desperately changing.

Tim.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

UP! GTI

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:01 pm

buzyg wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:34 am Says the man who drives a 325.
Well it's all relative, but after a 1996 Mazda 323f 1.5 a 325i definitely doesn't feel mediocre - and it's not a 320d! :rofl:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black