Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Finally a replacement for the Z4M - Porsche Boxster S 981

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:27 am

That makes for a very long drive to work :D
That road looks awesome :thumbsup:
The old Pacific Highway between Gosford and Sydney is great fun but you have to watch out for cyclists, as are the roads in the Royal National Park (although bikers and the police are the hazard there).
As you say, fun without risking your licence.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Barneybee

Post by Barneybee » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:21 pm

Lazza wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:13 am Barneybee - i see your location is Shropshire but do you have anything to do with Norfolk?
Used to live in Suffolk a few years ago :)
Never drive faster than your angels can fly

2016 E89 SDrive 2.0i MSport Auto Valencia Orange

Jaw

Post by Jaw » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:16 am

john-e89 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:20 pm It’s a cracking colour too, very very nice. I agree on the comedy value, they’re crazy chuckable aren’t they... :lol:

I’m a short arse too but my back and shoulders are too wide for the seats, I guess from being a long time competitive swimmer. They put wing backs in the options list but there’s still no more side bolster support and the wings don’t look very wide either, I do find it strange that you don’t seem to read about how bad the seats are....must just be me.... :roll: :lol:
Jaw wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:58 am haha I bet now you've mentioned it it will bug me no end!!..
I officially hate you. :lol:
Z4M Roadster - Gone but not forgotten
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

Jaw

Post by Jaw » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:18 am

Jaw wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:16 am
john-e89 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:20 pm It’s a cracking colour too, very very nice. I agree on the comedy value, they’re crazy chuckable aren’t they... :lol:

I’m a short arse too but my back and shoulders are too wide for the seats, I guess from being a long time competitive swimmer. They put wing backs in the options list but there’s still no more side bolster support and the wings don’t look very wide either, I do find it strange that you don’t seem to read about how bad the seats are....must just be me.... :roll: :lol:
Jaw wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:58 am haha I bet now you've mentioned it it will bug me no end!!..
To elaborate lol - You're right the upper of the seat is a bit too narrow for my shoulders.. The Lumbar isn't too bad that said for me.

And so begins the modlist on another car :lol:
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:33 pm

Jaw wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:18 am
Jaw wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:16 am

To elaborate lol - You're right the upper of the seat is a bit too narrow for my shoulders.. The Lumbar isn't too bad that said for me.

And so begins the modlist on another car :lol:
:lol: I know....nothings spot on is it... :D

I’m looking at Recaro ergomed seats, fully electric with heating and cooling if you want it, pricey but as seats are perhaps the most important factor in a car they’re worth it imho. They would make the car spot on I think. :thumbsup: :driving:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Lazza

Post by Lazza » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:34 pm

Barneybee wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:21 pm
Lazza wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:13 am Barneybee - i see your location is Shropshire but do you have anything to do with Norfolk?
Used to live in Suffolk a few years ago :)
Aha! So is that where your forum name comes from?
Z4 S-Drive 35i
Audi TT S-line
Mazda MX5 Mk2.5 (for sale)
Wokingham Berkshire

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:05 pm

Very nice.

They do so much so well and although on paper they don't seem amazing when you get behind the wheel its a completely different story.

I wouldn't worry about the GTS, its a pack essentially... and marketing. You get a very small bump in power and you get all the important stuff at a reduced cost than speccing up a normal car... somehow this makes them very desirable pre-owned and you end up paying far more over a standard car. Just shows how good Porsche marketing is.

Plus you get the (IMO) awful alcantara interior that wears badly and feels awful take the leather any day.

Enjoy :thumbsup:

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:10 pm

Depends which seats you have? I think there are 3 different variants with different adjustments and support.

In the 997 the standard 3 ways arent so good and gave me a bad back but the 14 way in the 991 are just about perfect. Pretty sure the 14s were an option in the 981.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:19 pm

tomscott wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:10 pm

Depends which seats you have? I think there are 3 different variants with different adjustments and support.

In the 997 the standard 3 ways arent so good and gave me a bad back but the 14 way in the 991 are just about perfect. Pretty sure the 14s were an option in the 981.
Yep three styles Tom, non adjustable buckets, 6 way standard with the narrow backs, 14 way and 18 way with wingbacks. 18 way include electric steering column adjustment over the 14 way. I’d buy a pair of wingbacks off the bay but they’re barely any better than the standard, not much bolster support and very hard. Hopeless in such a good car.

Oh and just for info the Alcantara on the GTS can be deleted on order and any other interior added in its place. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Jaw

Post by Jaw » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:43 am

tomscott wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:05 pm Very nice.

They do so much so well and although on paper they don't seem amazing when you get behind the wheel its a completely different story.

I wouldn't worry about the GTS, its a pack essentially... and marketing. You get a very small bump in power and you get all the important stuff at a reduced cost than speccing up a normal car... somehow this makes them very desirable pre-owned and you end up paying far more over a standard car. Just shows how good Porsche marketing is.

Plus you get the (IMO) awful alcantara interior that wears badly and feels awful take the leather any day.

Enjoy :thumbsup:
Cheers :)

ha yeah - I'm not too caught up on not having the gts, extra horses don't seem too far away either with a full exhaust and map there are a few claims of hitting above 370 or so if I ever really did want the extra beef but then it'd be pointless as I have the 911 for that. You're right, they are more than their spec sheet might suggest

Alcantara - Love it as a material hate it on seats for that very reason!

Had a great run back from work last week, tomorrow taking a tour of the Bathurst race track in the morning :driving: 60kph limits though..