Ariel Atom 4

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
john-e89
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 5011
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:27 pm

Ariel Atom 4

Post by john-e89 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:14 pm

Write up on the new mental box of frogs on Pistonheads now. :driving:
Attachments
1CEA9342-9DF7-4330-BB37-E22E19CD18F7.jpeg
1CEA9342-9DF7-4330-BB37-E22E19CD18F7.jpeg (67.67 KiB) Viewed 885 times
981 Porkster....tin hat on... :whistle:
Previous:
Z4M roady
E85 3.0 si,
E85 3.0SE
No 5 has landed...2nd ///Mental angry roller skate...
E89 35is

User avatar
maxman
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1909
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:34 pm
Location: Wrexham

Ariel Atom 4

Post by maxman » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:57 pm

Looks brilliant ,wish I could afford one.
2005 3.0I Toledo Blue ,Aeroskirts,Gaptech,Z4M wheels Goodyear F1 ,ZHP,M steering wheel,M front bumper.M Seats
Image

User avatar
buzyg
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 13167
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: Cornwall

Ariel Atom 4

Post by buzyg » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:45 pm

Love these things. I briefly followed one down a local lane once. Always wondered which way he went. :oops:
Image

User avatar
buzyg
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 13167
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: Cornwall

Ariel Atom 4

Post by buzyg » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:50 pm

Image

User avatar
Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3106
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:59 pm
Location: Paisley

Ariel Atom 4

Post by Nictrix » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:44 am

Although these are amazing I don't really see the point.
Its basically a bike with 4 wheels.
It has the benefits of a car like a bit more comfort and you don't need to put your feet down but the downsides of a bike where you get wet and cant filter through traffic.
The same as trikes, I don't see the point in them.
E89 2010 23i M Sport Black with Black leather

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 5011
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:27 pm

Ariel Atom 4

Post by john-e89 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:29 pm

Nictrix wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:44 am
Although these are amazing I don't really see the point.
Its basically a bike with 4 wheels.
It has the benefits of a car like a bit more comfort and you don't need to put your feet down but the downsides of a bike where you get wet and cant filter through traffic.
The same as trikes, I don't see the point in them.
The point is it’s a bike with 4 wheels. You don’t fall off it.

It’s just a pure sports car, it’s for the exhilaration of driving something with incredible take off, poise, balance, steering feel and input on a dry day, nothing more. Just a tool for enjoyment, nothing more. :driving:
981 Porkster....tin hat on... :whistle:
Previous:
Z4M roady
E85 3.0 si,
E85 3.0SE
No 5 has landed...2nd ///Mental angry roller skate...
E89 35is

User avatar
chrisgreen
Member
Member
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:30 pm

Ariel Atom 4

Post by chrisgreen » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:52 pm

Nictrix wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:44 am
Although these are amazing I don't really see the point.
Its basically a bike with 4 wheels.
It has the benefits of a car like a bit more comfort and you don't need to put your feet down but the downsides of a bike where you get wet and cant filter through traffic.
The same as trikes, I don't see the point in them.
or turn it on it's head - it has all the upsides of a bike - speed, exhilaration, pure handling, agility, acceleration without the risk of being knocked off by some idiot driver not using their mirrors! plus you don't have to wear leather :rofl: plus the sound of the vtec civic type r engine screaming sounds fantastic being so close to it.

imagine if they put an S54 in it!
'02 E46 M3 PY/Kiwi
'04 E85 Z4 3.0 silver/black - daily driver :driving:

Zoomer
Member
Member
Posts: 777
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:14 pm
Location: Staffordshire Moorlands

Ariel Atom 4

Post by Zoomer » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:26 pm

I’d say is a modern day lotus 7 on mega steroids .very impractical but who cares
Silver 3.0i Z4 now gone
Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Intravee ,Cruise and a nice warm garage.

User avatar
patriot66
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1570
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:59 am
Location: Mawdesley, Lancashire

Ariel Atom 4

Post by patriot66 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:49 pm

Nictrix wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:44 am
Although these are amazing I don't really see the point.
Its basically a bike with 4 wheels.
It has the benefits of a car like a bit more comfort and you don't need to put your feet down but the downsides of a bike where you get wet and cant filter through traffic.
The same as trikes, I don't see the point in them.
Surely this is the point :thumbsup:
https://youtu.be/abAogAUyoTE
'03 Sterling Grey 2.5i SE / SMG / Matching Hardtop / Gloss Black MV3s / Bilstein B4s / DLV Backbox / Carbon-wrapped Interior Trim / Re-Covered Steering Wheel / De-tango'd !

User avatar
buzyg
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 13167
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: Cornwall

Ariel Atom 4

Post by buzyg » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:12 pm

Nictrix wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:44 am
Although these are amazing I don't really see the point.
Its basically a bike with 4 wheels.
It has the benefits of a car like a bit more comfort and you don't need to put your feet down but the downsides of a bike where you get wet and cant filter through traffic.
The same as trikes, I don't see the point in them.
You forgotten to mention? It can stop and go around corners. :wink: Unlike a bike. :driving: :thumbsup:
Image

User avatar
Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3106
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:59 pm
Location: Paisley

Ariel Atom 4

Post by Nictrix » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:20 pm

I see I am in the minority, maybe because I have a bike and can get most of what has been described from that but still make progress when there is traffic.
And Busy take a look at fast lap times around the ring on a bike, just over 7 minutes surely must mean they can go round corners. :D
Probably only supercars and things like the Atom that go slightly quicker.
E89 2010 23i M Sport Black with Black leather

User avatar
buzyg
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 13167
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: Cornwall

Ariel Atom 4

Post by buzyg » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:31 pm

Nictrix wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:20 pm
I see I am in the minority, maybe because I have a bike and can get most of what has been described from that but still make progress when there is traffic.
And Busy take a look at fast lap times around the ring on a bike, just over 7 minutes surely must mean they can go round corners. :D
Probably only supercars and things like the Atom that go slightly quicker.
Good article here. https://motorbikewriter.com/motorcycles ... tter-cars/

Written for bikers, so may be a little bias. :wink:

It is acceleration were a bike's power to weight kills a car and makes up for their relative slowness in cornering and braking. :driving:
Image

User avatar
Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3106
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:59 pm
Location: Paisley

Ariel Atom 4

Post by Nictrix » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:44 pm

buzyg wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:31 pm
Nictrix wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:20 pm
I see I am in the minority, maybe because I have a bike and can get most of what has been described from that but still make progress when there is traffic.
And Busy take a look at fast lap times around the ring on a bike, just over 7 minutes surely must mean they can go round corners. :D
Probably only supercars and things like the Atom that go slightly quicker.
Good article here. https://motorbikewriter.com/motorcycles ... tter-cars/

Written for bikers, so may be a little bias. :wink:

It is acceleration were a bike's power to weight kills a car and makes up for their relative slowness in cornering and braking. :driving:
I think this quote almost sums it up no matter whether you are on a bike or in a car.
"It will also depend on the skill and commitment of a rider versus a driver."
How much anybody is willing to push in a bend and hope the tyres hold.
Anybody who says bikes are slow in bends and hold up cars are not sitting behind a fast rider just the same as any bike sitting behind a car in bends are not sitting behind a fast driver.
E89 2010 23i M Sport Black with Black leather

User avatar
buzyg
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 13167
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: Cornwall

Ariel Atom 4

Post by buzyg » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:00 pm

Nictrix wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:44 pm
buzyg wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:31 pm
Nictrix wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:20 pm
I see I am in the minority, maybe because I have a bike and can get most of what has been described from that but still make progress when there is traffic.
And Busy take a look at fast lap times around the ring on a bike, just over 7 minutes surely must mean they can go round corners. :D
Probably only supercars and things like the Atom that go slightly quicker.
Good article here. https://motorbikewriter.com/motorcycles ... tter-cars/

Written for bikers, so may be a little bias. :wink:

It is acceleration were a bike's power to weight kills a car and makes up for their relative slowness in cornering and braking. :driving:
I think this quote almost sums it up no matter whether you are on a bike or in a car.
"It will also depend on the skill and commitment of a rider versus a driver."
How much anybody is willing to push in a bend and hope the tyres hold.
Anybody who says bikes are slow in bends and hold up cars are not sitting behind a fast rider just the same as any bike sitting behind a car in bends are not sitting behind a fast driver.
We may have to agree to disagree on this one. Having been stuck behind commited riders on a number of occasions, through the Twisties. For the commited car driver, there is a kind of daft sense of achievment, when a bike you have pulled away from through a series of bends, enevatably wizzes past when you catch the everyday traffic. Usually get a mutual thumbs up, around these parts Which is nice. :)
Image

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 6499
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:53 am
Location: High Peak,Derbyshire.

Ariel Atom 4

Post by Z4M-2006 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:41 pm

My mate has a supercharged one....Think its Honda engined.

I have never driven it,but been a passenger and it was comically quick,i couldnt see much catching it on normal roads. Maybe a R500 caterham.
These kinda cars are at a different level.

Post Reply