Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New to me Jaguar as a daily driver.

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
BRC

Post by BRC » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:58 am

Just bought myself a daily driver now that I have retired and early if I might add. Quite fascinating to join the Jaguar XE forum and pick up on the very distinct similarities between this forum and the Jag. You can also quite clearly see via post counts those area's where the Z and the Jag are left shall we say, wanting. I can also see that unlike this site there is nowhere as much member activity and as such not the same level of product expertise.
I have all but decided to keep/store my Z and enjoy it when it really excels i.e. the summer months. Now just got to try and find out the best way to insure two cars. Surprisingly the XE was less than £300 with effectively no NCB but I suspect there is a better deal waiting to be discovered by me.

Sold a pair of soft top side covers and now retired.

Tcochrane92

Post by Tcochrane92 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:51 pm

What's the spec of the Jaaaaaaaag?
Current: Imola Red 400bhp 640d & Ocean Blue BMW S1000XR Sport SE
Past: Silver Grey Z4MR, Silver Grey Z4C & Titan Silver Z4 3.0i

BRC

Post by BRC » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:36 pm

XE Portfolio, 180 bhp diesel in a rather fetching white. Got to say I'm well impressed and it doesn't hang about for what is essentially a family size saloon.
Attachments
20180623_125119_002.jpg
20180623_125119_002.jpg (324.36 KiB) Viewed 1584 times
20180623_125119_002.jpg
20180623_125119_002.jpg (324.36 KiB) Viewed 1584 times
Last edited by BRC on Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tcochrane92

Post by Tcochrane92 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:06 pm

Very nice, just needs the black pack to finish it off :)
Current: Imola Red 400bhp 640d & Ocean Blue BMW S1000XR Sport SE
Past: Silver Grey Z4MR, Silver Grey Z4C & Titan Silver Z4 3.0i

BRC

Post by BRC » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:17 pm

Give it time and it may happen :thumbsup:

maxman

Post by maxman » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:37 pm

That looks a very nice motor :thumbsup:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:59 am

Very nice Jag :thumbsup:

Z4 COUPSTER

Post by Z4 COUPSTER » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:03 pm

Nice choice, and sensible daily driver. But you are bang on on keeping the Zed as well. Lots do multi car policies now maybe worth a look.
Ya can't drive two at the same time, but ya can on the same day!!
D
:thumbsup: Z in da Head.
3.0i Z3 sport,sapphire black,3.0i Z4 roadster Sterling grey,auto,Z4 3.0si Coupe Titanium silver,Stubby &B06 Plus some other German beauties!!

BRC

Post by BRC » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:42 pm

It all works well in as much as the Z becomes MOT'able end of September and taxable/insurable in March. Think I'll lay it up after its MOT and drag it out from its winter home end of March. Meanwhile the Jag can keep me comfortable in the interim. Also gives me planty of time to plod my way through the best options in regards multi policies. Giving up the co car on June 20th has bought a lot of things into sharp focus not least of which is insurance and the nonesense of having to insure 2 cars when I can only drive one at a time!

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:25 pm

Good choice - enjoy..
I ran the XF in 3.0s, white for several years and the Z and made a great combo. The Jag was actually faster than the Z and of course more practical.
Only recently hopped out of both to the current set up, but do miss the ‘class’ or ‘grace, space and pace’ a Jag has..
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:51 pm

OP, how do you get by with just 180 bhp? :)

I had a 123d with 201 bhp before I got my 1st Z4C. That's when I realised I'd rather change down a gear than rely on torque! (And by then I didn't do enough miles to justify a diesel - thankfully)!

Mind you the XE is a really good looking car so it's good to see you are impressed by yours. :thumbsup:

On the insurance issue, when I first got a 2nd car in 2014 I found an insurer that would match the NCD I had on my 1st car and have carried on with both on that basis since then - so my 2nd should be due full NCD in it's own right in a year or two!

I got quotes from a few "multi-car insurers" this April and they all quoted more than I was paying on 2 separate policies so I still have 2 policies!

Slightly off-topic I know, but I got my 1st job in 1977 at Cornhill Insurance (now part of Allianz) and back then you could have up to 5 cars on one policy. NCD protection was free once you earnt it (after 7 claim free years), one fault claim didn't get you a premium loading, windscreen cover had no excess and there were no admin charges - things aren't exactly getting better for the consumer! :headbang:

I just hope you can find an arrangement that works for your pairing!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

BRC

Post by BRC » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:07 pm

CJ, the cars are chalk and cheese in many ways but I have to be honest I bought the Jag for longer distances and the realtive comfort it provides. I think I'm going to like it a lot and I must admit this weekend it has been my preferred car.

Mr Tiday, many thanks for the observations in regards insurance and I'll certainly be looking into various options. The 180 bhp is just fine and combined with shed loads of torque and an auto box it makes for a very easy drive. I've been obliged to use deisels for the last 12 years in three different cars. Each one has been significantly better than the previous but in common with all three was the torque which made for very easy driving and far fewer gear changes. Whilst I know deisel is curreently being demonised there is no getting away from its very real positive attributes and with mine meeting Euro6 then arguably it is cleaner than some petrol engines.

Zoomer

Post by Zoomer » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:26 pm

Had an XE for about a month now. Extremely good motorway car and no run flats as standard. Doing 56 overall with 72 as a best mpg. 180 bhp and loads of torque is wonderful with an auto . Chalk and cheese with my Zed though, but can't fault it so far.
Sterling Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather M sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Cruise and a nice warm garage. NOW GONE
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE