Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

4 Series ?

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
MT94

4 Series ?

Post by MT94 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:32 pm

Hi all I currently have a E85 Z4 which I love but the time has come where I want something newer and quite like the look of a 4 series coupe more specifically a 2.0 auto either 420i or my preference is the 428i people have said it’s not a young persons car but I just love the look of them and the automatic for ease of the daily commute which isn’t very nice in a old manual like I have now plus the fact I’ve been in a auto f30 that has the same box as the 4 series and I was amazed how quick and smooth it was so my question is after all that does anyone have one or have any experience of them to recommend one and whats worth trying to get and what’s not equipment wise baring mind I will be buying secondhand so will be slightly limited on choice, I’m looking to get one at the end of the “summer” which I know is a bad time to try and sell a convertible but I don’t want to part with it while we are having the weather we are having (well in the south east anyway)

Matt.
2004 E85 Z4 2.2i Titan Silver

R90GRN

4 Series ?

Post by R90GRN » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:27 pm

Hi Matt

I have had a 430d Msport as a DD for 3 years and love it! It’s very easy to drive, quick and economical. It’s a reasonably sized and practical car. Quite a decent spec with MSport Plus, individual leather options fitted as it was a dealer demo. I love this car however I bought a Z4 a month ago as I wanted something more analogue to drive and always promised myself a ‘toy’.

In short very different to the Z4, you should drive one and see if it’s for you.

I work with someone who’s 24 who has a 420d and seen loads of young guys driving them....

Hope this helps

Rob
2006 Silver BMW E85 2.5Si Sport - 18” Veemann FS23, Buckley06 gearknob, stubby aerial.

bluespit

4 Series ?

Post by bluespit » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:34 pm

Hi Matt

Wifey is on her second 420d and loves them. First was an M Sport coupe current one is the Luxury convertible.

pros and cons, the convertible boot is a bit of a pain, big enough but access is limited unless you lift it which takes time, neat in the car park though! M Sport suspension is hard, luxury steering wheel is a bit low rent. its quick enough for daily duties and at approx 50mpg economical too. Doors are a pain, too long for supermarket parking spaces and the rimless glass sometimes freezes shut in the winter. Otherwise its great and will suit us very nicely over the next few years

don't dare tell wifey she's old (even if we both are)
now I'm about to have more time I've suddenly got less toys to play with!

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

4 Series ?

Post by metal licker » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:24 am

The Mrs has a 435d xdrive as her daily drive and its a fantastic all rounder :thumbsup:
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

4 Series ?

Post by tomscott » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:43 am

Excellent cars, product of their own success they are just everywhere...

I would probably take the diesel over the petrol the 30d and 35d are super potent yet the MPG is amazing.

My mini clubman JCW is a decent comparative as its about the same weight and has the same engine as the 420 and 428 and drinks like no tomorrow... 32mpg is all ive managed so far and its always in green mode :cry: . Its only done 5000 miles so hoping it will get better as the miles go on. The other difference is the mini has AWD too, worth bearing in mind it uses a bit more fuel if you fancy an Xdrive version.

The 428 is almost the same output 245hp 350lbs about 15hp more than the mini but the MPG stats are almost the same.

What I would say is take the petrol engines stats with a pinch of salt. Especially with commuting, my commute is 4 miles and in the stop start traffic in Manchester it gets 8-12mpg. Stretch its legs and it does fairly well about 38ish but thats max. The tax band is super low yet they seem to use a lot of fuel not quite sure how they figure that out.

Anyway worth bearing in mind Ive done 5000 miles since January and a full tank is about £65 and it gives about 400 miles. Roughly £170 per 1000 miles.

The diesels have the nice 6cyl smooth feel, they are quicker and they are more frugal. Obviously diesel costs a bit more but that would be my choice as a commuter.

MT94

4 Series ?

Post by MT94 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:39 am

Thanks for the replies guy lots of info for me to think about nice to see the car gets a lot of positive opinions need to get behind the wheel of a couple now and see for myself.

Matt.
2004 E85 Z4 2.2i Titan Silver