Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Thinking about an Audi RS4...

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
bmwaddict

Post by bmwaddict » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:33 pm

Despite being a die hard BMW fan and serial owner, I find myself more and more tempted by a B7 RS4, they seem such great value for money right now, and very practical, while still seemingly lots of fun. The all weather usability of 4wd just makes so much sense on our perpetually damp roads too.
I'd be looking to spend about £17.5k on one.

I've never really been into Audi's, but recently having owned an A5 3.0TDI S-Line, they've really grown on me. The RS4 appeals more than an M5 or C63, both of which are great cars, but I find myself being pulled more towards the Audi.
I'm well aware of the carbon deposit issues, and leaking suspension, both of which are easily sorted.

This would replace my Z4MC, while I'd love to keep it and have both, I just don't have the funds, and my girlfriend would probably kill me!
Maybe I'm getting old (I'm only 34 but I've had a hard life, boo hoo!) but the harshness of the Z4M is sometimes tiresome, as I do like to drive it a lot, and I'm too stubborn to change the 19s back to 18s, or put it back on standard suspension. lt would also be nice to have 4 seats in my "fun car", as kid/s will soon be on the horizon..

Anyone with previous experience of owning a B7 RS4 here? Thoughts and opinions welcome.

Dan
Currently zedless :(

'07 Mugello Blue Audi B7 RS4 Saloon with added goodies
'94 Black/Silver/Green Honda CBR400RR
Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC
'07 Sapphire Black Z4C 3.0si Sport

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:39 pm

The B7 RS4 was my dream car for years. I had a A4 s-line 2.0 TFSI pushing out 220 bhp a few years back and it was the best car I’d owned up to that point. Never quite made it to the RS4. Can’t compare with the Zed of course - apples and oranges so to speak
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

chrisgreen

Post by chrisgreen » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:20 am

Just hope you have somewhere safe to park it/ live in a nice area as the seats are very desirable and prone to being stolen!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/ne ... order.html
'04 E85 Z4 3.0 silver/black - daily driver :driving: - Sold
'02 E46 M3 PY/Kiwi
'05 E46 330d Touring - Silver Grey/Black

bmwaddict

Post by bmwaddict » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:49 am

chrisgreen wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:20 am Just hope you have somewhere safe to park it/ live in a nice area as the seats are very desirable and prone to being stolen!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/ne ... order.html
I'm actually orginially from south London where a lot of those have been stolen, makes me ashamed of being so.
I remember a few years back one of my mates who's a recovery driver having to take someone's RS4 Avant away, driving it up onto the tow truck using a bucket to sit on because their Recaros had been stolen. As worrying as it is, it doesn't deter me from owning one, anything can be stolen at any time anywhere, it's about making it a pita for the criminals. I don't have a garage but it'll be right outside my bedroom window with a hefty alarm system.
Thanks for the heads up, looks like getting them stamped or engraved is something that would seriously limit if not stop how often this happens if every owner did it.

Still interested in getting previous/current owners experience on long term ownership and how you've found it as a complete package. Being available in manual it's much more desirable to me than the C63 or E60 M5/M6 because of that.

Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:32 am

Should be all manual for that model iirc? If they do autos just avoid if the rs6 is anything to go by.

They are beastly motors. Not great for tracks or hooning around bends at stupid speeds but for any regular blasts and traffic GPs they are great.

I assume this is a convertible you're after?

Easy thing to do is just relocate the obd port or you can get a kit which removes the plug to a male / female plug and you keep the other end indoors. No tools will fit it then and they have special fitments to them like a key.

I'm sure you're aware but the fuel economy on them is dreadful. My friends former pride and joy averaged 11mpg on the commute. He drives like a w****r most days of the week but pretty shocking.
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

Yep no Z yet. On the hunt.

Post by sticky » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:19 am

S4 Avant manual, big grins :evil: :evil:

bmwaddict

Post by bmwaddict » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:16 pm

Yes they're all manual AFAIK. I'd probably get a saloon, since there is no coupe, don't need an Avant and I'm not quite sure on the convertible. For a 4.2 420bhp car the mpg is to be expected, it's not far off what my Z4M gets! 11mpg average that's some good work there! I wouldn't commute in it that's for sure, a diesel would do the daily run.
Thanks for the info regarding OBD.

Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC

PinkPineapple44

Post by PinkPineapple44 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:28 pm

I've owned my misano red B7 RS4 since December and have daily driven it ever since. Done about 5k miles since I've owned it, averaging 22mpg in that time.

I bought her just to use over the winter so am now looking to sell her, but she's been great fun. A car that does it all, and the V8 is sweet as a nut too 😀
IMG_0403.JPG
IMG_0403.JPG (251.89 KiB) Viewed 1836 times
IMG_0406.JPG
IMG_0406.JPG (285.14 KiB) Viewed 1836 times
IMG_0412-picsay.JPG
IMG_0412-picsay.JPG (265.7 KiB) Viewed 1836 times

Kierandc5

Post by Kierandc5 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:44 pm

The note that comes off an rs4 is amazing. Engine total screamer.

Guy at work had one for years and he said the only things to watch for is make sure discs and pads have been done and something to do with carbon build up in the engine.

cleaning in should be part of a yearly service too keep power and engine running at its peak

bmwaddict

Post by bmwaddict » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:07 pm

Great pics thanks! That's pretty good, my Z4M gets about 23 max on the daily drive.

Thanks for the info Kieran, apparently if they're not driven hard often enough they get clogged up and need a carbon clean to restore horsepower, about £500 so I'd check to see if it has been done or factor it into the price.

Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:31 am

I have a Black B7 RS4 Avant with Black Optics that I used as a daily driver along side my ///MC when I was back in the UK (I still have both and the Zed at least will be exported soon).
The RS4 is an absolutely immense car with straight line performance only marginally down on my Zed up to about 120mph after which the Zed would have the legs on it. On poorly maintained country roads, it is considerably faster than my Zed through the bends. This is due to a combination of the highly effective RS4 active suspension and my Zed being very skittish over broken surfaces since I’ve set it up for smooth tarmac on track days. Cross country, it is easily one of the fastest cars I’ve driven.
There is far less steering feel than I would like, but after a while I’ve learned to trust it. With decent tyres, there is almost no understeer, despite that being a common trait of 4WD cars and almost ubiquitous with Audi.
I have a Gruppe M and modified back boxes so it sounds like thunder, but the OEM intake and exhaust seem a bit muted in part due to the very effective sound insulation. My fuel economy has been around 25-28mpg on the motorway and 15-20mpg around town. On country roads I would be lucky to see more than about 10-12mpg.
Maybe I’m fortunate, but my dampers don’t leak and I don’t have a carbon problem. Front discs are a ridiculous price but pads aren’t too bad.
Check the clutch action very carefully as the mechanism can get sticky. If the pedal is slow to come back up, it might be a simple fix replacing a standard line with a braided one, or it might be the beginning of the end of the clutch.
The other common problem is corrosion affecting the oil cooler lines. They sit behind the front bumper so have a hard life. Again, mine seems to have escaped this. Pistonheads have a buying guide that’s worth reading before you go for a test drive.
Mine became stuck in the snow within half a mile of my house in Devon this winter, but on winter tyres they’re unstoppable.
Hope that helps!
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

bmwaddict

Post by bmwaddict » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:21 am

Thanks for all the great info!

Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC

Jaw

Post by Jaw » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:33 pm

I found the perfect RS4 and fell in love but it was slightly too old to finance and more than I wanted to spend in cash, but my god

a little clip that someone posted trying to convince me to take the plunge:

skip to 8:43 for a nice roar :)
Z4M Roadster - Gone but not forgotten
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:18 am

personally I’d go for th RS5, the coupe is so much better looking. I had an A6 and it was the BEST 4 door sedan I’ve ever owned or driven, I also took an Audi winter experience where we were given brand new S4’s and 5’s with nasty studded tires and then told to go fast, really fast, on ice .... in an autocross on a frozen flooded parking area. Then around icy, snowy backroads in the foothills of the Rockies. The cars are amazing on crap roads and in terrible conditions. The S is a great car, the RS is just bit more on the nasty side ( that’s a good thing ) :roll: :D :D
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

bmwaddict

Post by bmwaddict » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:43 pm

Thanks both for your input, the rs5 is a bit out of my price range, around 17.5k max, I have now put my car up for sale so I will report back if/when I get hold of an RS4!

Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC