Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Loud Rumbling Noise at speed 2004 Corsa

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bluestreak56 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:18 pm

The Mrs car has developed an odd fault..

Its a 14 year old corsa and has started to make a loud rumbling noise at speed. Specifically seems to be most noticable between 50 and 70mph. However I think this is now starting to occur as low as 30mph upwards.

Its almost like a cyclical noise droning round and round. Drives fine, doesnt seem to make a difference if turning or driving straight.

I know the exhaust had a small hole at the last MOT listed as a minor, tester said it would be fine for a year.. but the exhaust does rattle a little possibly just the rubber has perished.

Not sure if the issue is exhaust / cv joint / wheel bearing / bottom end? Had the window down but couldnt discern the direction of the noise..

Any suggestions for how to narrow it down? Does not occur sub 30 mph..

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:19 pm

So first question, does it change with RPM or MPH?

Tyreman

Post by Tyreman » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:22 pm

Rear wheel bearing or uneven tyre wear possible ?

bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bluestreak56 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:33 pm

Doesnt appear to be rpm related, can happen as low as 2k and as high as 4k.. Ive noticed it goes away above 70mph.

I thought wheel bearing is definitely an option. Tyres are very old so thats also possible.. will look at them tomorrow :thumbsup:

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:01 pm

My neighbour has just got rid of their Corsa VXR as the diff was starting to make a noise.
Apparently the engine needs to come out to fix it.
Not saying thats whats wrong with yours.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:42 am

Nictrix wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:01 pm My neighbour has just got rid of their Corsa VXR as the diff was starting to make a noise.
Apparently the engine needs to come out to fix it.
Not saying thats whats wrong with yours.
04 plate won't be a VXR.
Op it's most likely a wheel bearing. Vauxhall didn't learn how to make them until 07 iirc.

Not expensive about £25 for a bearing kit and just find someone to press and fit. It's about £100 All in.

Many years ago a friend of mine had an sxi with green wheels, Angel eyes and a race tube fitted..the bearings went and it was loader than the 100db exhaust.
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

Yep no Z yet. On the hunt.

bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bluestreak56 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:43 am

its an sxi 1.2 :)

bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bluestreak56 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:56 am

its an sxi 1.2 :)

I think the oil is pretty old too.. brakes stick when parked for a while, bonnet release is stuck, tyres are very old, handbrake has been adjusted every year for the last 4 years, suspension is creaky, heating intermittent overall its heading on its way out. Someone hit us on the rear drivers side quarter panel at xmas so theres a large dent + scratches too..

I'm considering just keeping it and running it into the ground as I dont particularly want to spend any more money on it. We dont really need it as its the 4th car in our household and none of us drive to work daily. I do the most driving and only take it to places locally to avoid the X4 getting damaged in the car park or doing too much town driving with all the pot hols around.

We have AA cover so if it does pack up, I think we can get recovered to home (will check). But it could be used for a trade in on a new Hyundai or Ford, trying to save that money for a house purchase though..

Eventually we may well need a 2nd car for me and the mrs when we move out but right now its kind of redundant..

raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:14 am

For diagnosis try jacking up the car and turning each wheel by hand. Shot bearings may feel rough and by rocking the wheel you may feel excessive movement