Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

MR2 anyone?

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

MR2 anyone?

Post by TitanTim » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:22 pm

Some 26 years ago I had a MK1 MR2 T bar and loved it, had it 4 years and always wished I'd kept it. Fast forward to 2001 and I ordered a MK3, I never test drove one as the dealer didn't have any demos for quite some time but ordered one on the basis it would be similar to the MK1 and be brilliant. It was due to be a daily driver to replace an Audi A3 1.8T Sport but soon realised I'd made a big mistake. No boot, although I new that but it didn't seem anywhere near as good as my old MK1, was much tinnier in feel and noisy in the cabin with the roof up, I soon got rid of it.

However spotted this one which looks to be mint fron the pics and for some strange reason I'm really tempted :roll: probably on the condition more than anything but perhaps for some weekend fun in the summer.

Any thoughts? I'm kinda missing my Z3 now the spring is looming.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-C ... SwOMlarGqO

Just wandering if its overpriced or if I would lose much on it after a few years.

Tim.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

MR2 anyone?

Post by Smartbear » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:30 pm

TitanTim wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:22 pm Some 26 years ago I had a MK1 MR2 T bar and loved it, had it 4 years and always wished I'd kept it. Fast forward to 2001 and I ordered a MK3, I never test drove one as the dealer didn't have any demos for quite some time but ordered one on the basis it would be similar to the MK1 and be brilliant. It was due to be a daily driver to replace an Audi A3 1.8T Sport but soon realised I'd made a big mistake. No boot, although I new that but it didn't seem anywhere near as good as my old MK1, was much tinnier in feel and noisy in the cabin with the roof up, I soon got rid of it.

However spotted this one which looks to be mint fron the pics and for some strange reason I'm really tempted :roll: probably on the condition more than anything but perhaps for some weekend fun in the summer.

Just wandering if its overpriced or if I would lose much on it after a few years.

Tim.
Be careful, some of those are afflicted with terminal oil burning issues-the Toyota 1zz engine is tough but seems to “suck in” bits of broken catalyst on this model with catastrophic damage to the cylinders/pistons.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

MR2 anyone?

Post by TitanTim » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:38 pm

Smartbear wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:30 pm
TitanTim wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:22 pm Some 26 years ago I had a MK1 MR2 T bar and loved it, had it 4 years and always wished I'd kept it. Fast forward to 2001 and I ordered a MK3, I never test drove one as the dealer didn't have any demos for quite some time but ordered one on the basis it would be similar to the MK1 and be brilliant. It was due to be a daily driver to replace an Audi A3 1.8T Sport but soon realised I'd made a big mistake. No boot, although I new that but it didn't seem anywhere near as good as my old MK1, was much tinnier in feel and noisy in the cabin with the roof up, I soon got rid of it.

Tim.
Be careful, some of those are afflicted with terminal oil burning issues-the Toyota 1zz engine is tough but seems to “suck in” bits of broken catalyst on this model with catastrophic damage to the cylinders/pistons.
Rob
Thanks Rob, I've heard about the weak cats on these and potential problems, I guess I could check if its ever been changed or get it changed if need be. It does have a hardtop which is kinda nice, the roof on these leave something to be desired as from what i remember they are made from vinyl :| It does look a decent example though.

Tim.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

MR2 anyone?

Post by firebobby » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:27 am

Go for the MK2, by far the best looking MR2. Then I would say that :wink:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

MR2 anyone?

Post by john-e89 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:02 am

Horrible wheezy gutless tinny pile of rust waiting to happen Tim. I can’t think of one single reason to buy a mk3 MR2 over an MX5, plenty for sale, plenty not selling, plenty are a bag of crap. 4K will get you double the fun and practicality over the Toyota disaster.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

markalp

MR2 anyone?

Post by markalp » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:23 am

Tim.
Is it just me or do the wheels look tiny?
Alpina Roadster S LUX #030

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

MR2 anyone?

Post by paddy wright » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:10 am

Why buy this when you didn’t like the one you had? 4K will buy you another z3 or z4 both of which you enjoyed??
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

buzyg
Legend
Legend

MR2 anyone?

Post by buzyg » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:01 am

If you have 4k burning a hole in your pocket? Then there are worse things you could do with it. But me it would be and mx5. :thumbsup:

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

MR2 anyone?

Post by mr.tourette » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:16 am

Id disagree with some of the above comments...Ive had every model of mr2 and enjoyed them all for different reasons, Id take a mk3 over a mx5 any day of the week, they are bags of fun to drive and to be honest although less power than the z4 they also make a zed feel lardy and will out handle them 7 days a week as well as a much more refined ride. Yes the interior is a little dated but any rattles are very easily sorted and a change of head unit will provide a very easy solution for your audio needs.

That car seems massively overpriced though imho and i would also avoid anything pre 2005 as the imploding catalysts were sorted by then (although if you get an earlier model running well the manifold cats that cause the issues can be removed).. I would have another in a heartbeat as long as it was a well cared for example at the right price :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

raymond.harper

MR2 anyone?

Post by raymond.harper » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:33 am

I had four mark 2's in the past. Lovely cars. My dream one would be a 1998 with the "Beam" engine fitted. Not many Japanese sportscars of the nineties are still around. When did you last see an FTO or a GTO ? So it will be a rare car in a few years time.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

MR2 anyone?

Post by TitanTim » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:17 pm

Thanks for the replies, I knew there woud be some sensible reasoning, just say it how it is John :rofl: :thumbsup:

I think the only attraction is the condition as much as anythng but as said why am I looking at car that I never liked when I had one :? From what I remember they handled well with a revvy engine but I think by the eary 2000s Toyotas glory days was well and truly over. They did some great cars in the 80s, Corolla GTI, Celica, Supra, I hankered after them all.

Still miss my old MR2 which had the same Corolla 1.6 twin cam 16, think it was 122bhp.

I've never driven an MX5, just never been an attractive ownership proposition and why I went for a Z3 over one, I do like the latest one though and possibly might look at the older coupe version with retractable hardtop.

I've been half heartedly looking at Z4s although wished I hadn't now, a local dealer has this,

https://www.davefoxcars.co.uk/used-bmw- ... re-1518978

Or possibly better :?

https://www.davefoxcars.co.uk/used-bmw- ... re-1521120

I've even been looking at MGBs and Triumph Spitfires but unsure I really want something that old.

I do like that Z4M though :) lovely colour combination.

Tim.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

MR2 anyone?

Post by Smartbear » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:21 pm

Like the clowns shoe z3, lots of dough though :cry:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

MR2 anyone?

Post by firebobby » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:24 pm

How about a pretty Coupe that is going up in value, zero road tax and you will be noticed in it, but then I would say that :)
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C967895
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

woozzle

MR2 anyone?

Post by woozzle » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:05 pm

a bit expensive and in Red. I would avoid a Toyota in red, paint fade/problems. You could buy a nice z4 for 4k :roll:

gov

MR2 anyone?

Post by gov » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:41 pm

A few still knocking about down here - quite a classic and sought after - mind you you have to be vertically challenged to fit inside one :rofl:

Not that I'm suggesting you are Tim :rofl: