Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Audi TT roadster or Z4

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
jeffreyt

Audi TT roadster or Z4

Post by jeffreyt » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:51 pm

As soon as the Elan goes ( just waiting for this unseasonal white stuff to go away before advertising it ) I had planned to start looking for
a Z4.
However,Mrs T has suddenly taken an interest ( not sure whether this is good or bad ) in the next ragtop and is telling me how much she likes then look of the Audi TT roadster.We are talking the first generation here.
TBH I have always thought they looked nice as well and might be having second thoughts about the Z4.
Anybody who has had experience of both and could give me some decent feedback /comments on both cars would be most appreciated.
The year of both would be '04/'05 vintage as am not interested in the newer models of either.
Thanks

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Audi TT roadster or Z4

Post by jamie_z4 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:21 pm

I had a Mk1 tt coupe and in terms of driving pleasure the z4 runs rings around it, excuse the pun.. They are good cars but just neutral handling and its a mk4 golf in a frock that I don't think which has aged particularly well, also the fuel economy from the 1.8t lump was worse than my 3.0 z4 convertible
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Audi TT roadster or Z4

Post by mr wilks » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:23 pm

Had 2 Mk1 TTs , compared to E85s the all round vision is good , seats superior , cabin more spacious & generally feels better built but the good news ends there :cry: from a drivers perspective the TTs are lardy & leave little connection or enjoyment from Sunday drive / weekend treat ownership .
Try them both & decide for yourself :driving: :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Kingfisher

Audi TT roadster or Z4

Post by Kingfisher » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:33 pm

Compared to a Z4 an Audi TT looks like a little ogre scuttling along! ... :thumbsdown:
Dec 2014 ... E89 35is sDrive M DCT ... Red ... :driving:

Tyreman

Audi TT roadster or Z4

Post by Tyreman » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:08 pm

I've had both too...........TT feels bigger, higher, with better vision and easier to drive.

However, I would say they are boring, slow, understeery and have a lot more scuttle shake than a Z4........maybe the TT would make an easier daily but not as a toy :thumbsup:

jeffreyt

Audi TT roadster or Z4

Post by jeffreyt » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:17 pm

Thanks for the quick response.
Am planning on a 2.5 or 3.0 Z4 which I had assumed would be heavier on juice than a TT so interested to see the reverse is true.
Definitely don't want a 'lardy ' car so I think you have just confirmed my first thought ,it's a Z4.
Bring on the sunshine.

chapeau

Audi TT roadster or Z4

Post by chapeau » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:18 pm

I had a mk1 TT coupe from new but it was quite some time ago. I liked it a lot (i did come out of a ford ka into it though). It was quick, felt well built, there was no tinny clanging of doors etc, but i think the Z has aged so so so much better. It looks every bit as good now as modern roadsters whereas the TT i think looks more like a Veedub beetle these days. Plus from a driving persepctive the Z feels more connected than the TT.
E85. 2.5i SE. 2004. Sterling grey, anthracite 107s, black leather heated seats, hardtop, sound gen retrofit, matt black grills, stubby, zhp, cupholders retrofit, roof motor in boot.

Tyreman

Audi TT roadster or Z4

Post by Tyreman » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:22 pm

jeffreyt wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:17 pm Thanks for the quick response.
Am planning on a 2.5 or 3.0 Z4 which I had assumed would be heavier on juice than a TT so interested to see the reverse is true.
Definitely don't want a 'lardy ' car so I think you have just confirmed my first thought ,it's a Z4.
Bring on the sunshine.
I find the 3.0 Z4 very good value for money when you take performance into account..........in comparison to lots of other performance orientated cars they're quite economical to run :D

gov

Audi TT roadster or Z4

Post by gov » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:41 pm

When you say Elan do you mean M100 or the earlier model ? This is my old Elan ( and my wife :lol: ) - absolutely loved it ( the car and my wife ) - in a moment of madness sold it and bought a 3.0 SE E85 - wanted to get something a bit more modern - loved the Z4 - more room ( I'm 6'7" ) faster and more reliable ( but not a Lotus :roll: ). tried an early TT - not really impressed if I'm honest - too slow and too many around ! If you opt for an E85 it has to be a 3.0 litre.

jeffreyt

Audi TT roadster or Z4

Post by jeffreyt » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:23 pm

same as yours gov (M100) only blue.
I love it but Mrs T doesn't , no heated seats which she says at our time of life is a must in winter.
Had it a couple of years and now it's time for a change.
Got 2 grandchildren desperate to get their hands on it but no way can they get insurance on it yet yet so may put it into storage for 4 or 5 years.Trouble with that is that it's a major recommissioning job to get back roadworthy after that sort of period standing idle.If the price
and the buyer look right will probably sell it.
Looking forward to a 'modern' rag top .

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Audi TT roadster or Z4

Post by buzyg » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:29 pm

Don't let your missus near a TT. They're comfy and easy to drive, she will probably love it. :o You however won't they under steer, wobble and are slow.

gov

Audi TT roadster or Z4

Post by gov » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:03 pm

jeffreyt wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:23 pm same as yours gov (M100) only blue.
I love it but Mrs T doesn't , no heated seats which she says at our time of life is a must in winter.
Had it a couple of years and now it's time for a change.
Got 2 grandchildren desperate to get their hands on it but no way can they get insurance on it yet yet so may put it into storage for 4 or 5 years.Trouble with that is that it's a major recommissioning job to get back roadworthy after that sort of period standing idle.If the price
and the buyer look right will probably sell it.
Looking forward to a 'modern' rag top .
Not really a problem putting in to storage - mine was kept in storage for 6 years before I bought it - the previous owner kept it under cover in a heated garage - all it needed was an MOT and an oil change virtually - other than a sticking front brake caliper was fine - looked like new when I owned it - I really shouldn't have sold it :( Are you a member of LEC ?

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Audi TT roadster or Z4

Post by Marlon » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:10 am

Surprise, surprise everyone on the Z4-Forum is suggesting the Z4 is superior to the Audi TT :D
(it is of course :wink: )
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Havard

Audi TT roadster or Z4

Post by Havard » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:21 am

The gen 1 TT isn't a car I would consider. Like most Audis, it's the steering that let's them down. My mate had one and I remember it being a bit of a let down. It was gone after a couple of months.

I am considering a gen 3 for the missus as a daily but not as an out and out "fun" car.

Even though I have the Cayman, I keep going back to the Zed. They are remarkable cars for though hehe money at though he hehe moment. Find one that has been looked after and you are laughing.

H.
Last edited by Havard on Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

jeffreyt

Audi TT roadster or Z4

Post by jeffreyt » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:57 am

no,never did join LEC although I used to go to some of their pub meets locally here in Twyford in Berks.
I have to say it is the value for money aspect that is really pulling me to a Z4.
I don't want to spend more than £5k and there doesn't seem to be anything comparable at that price.
I have considered a Boxster but am just not brave enough to buy a £5k Boxster in case it turns into a money pit.
I already have an old porker ,a 944 S, fantastic car and ,touch wood, totally reiiable so far.
Obviously on a Z4 forum I expected a degree of bias but some of the comments have thrown up aspects of the Audi TT that I hadn't thought of so much appreciated even if a little biased (not too much though ).