Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My first and last Mercedes, probably..!!

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Hilly30si

Post by Hilly30si » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:28 am

When I went into the Dealership (not the supplying one ) about a month before the first service became due, the service manager told me the cost for the two services needed would be £1260 invc VAT. She then said because the car was not 12 months old she could do the Service Pack which then amounted to £730 inc VAT for both services. I took that out there and then.

It just makes my blood boil that they can charge for, what in my case would have been two oil changes and a general check. The mileage on the car at first service was 8k miles and only 17k when it went back. With Audi on a two year deal you would only service once
My Cars

2021 X3 M Sport loaded with Tec
1974 Triumph TR6 in Mimosa Yellow
Gone but not forgotten
2008 Z4 3.0 SI Roadster

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:10 am

They have to grab money back somehow on these £299 a month deals..

We have seen a lot of BMW's wearing out rear pads and discs prematurely... Seen rear pads do 12/13k on the back and the discs mid 20k...

Front have been half worn and relatively fresh at same miles..

Weird.

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:25 am

My wife has an E Class Coupe (which is mechanically more closely related to a C Class than an E) and she has it serviced at the main dealer to maintain its resale value. They routinely find additional items that ‘must’ be fixed if she takes the car in. Strangely enough, when I take it there and tell them to call me to authorise any work, they find that a service alone is enough!
My wife has been through two sets of pads each fronts and rear in about 70K km, and had an advisory that new discs should be fitted on one occasion. I told her to instruct them to replace the pads only and, when I checked, the discs were well within the specified minimum thickness with no lip (Sydney main dealers for expensive European cars are renowned for being crooks).
Your discs are shagged and need replacing, so clearly they aren’t trying it on. I would be concerned about the rapid wear and asking for a credible explanation.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

jimmybell

Post by jimmybell » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:58 pm

To be honest, having had a C63 i'd not hesitate to buy another Merc, loved it. To balance the books i'll provide an example of good and bad Merc dealers... though i've had the same with BMW too, tbh:

My merc dealer of choice is AUC only but outstanding really, nothing but great service. At 'new to me' garages I tend to put a car in for MOT to 'test' interest in finding faults that don't exist, at Caterham, to my surprise i got back to find MOT complete, a full inside/outside valet, and they topped up my liquids and provided a full 100 point check type thing (no advisories!), with that video of the inspection too which is handy for a thorough check of tyre wear - essential on c63 heh. All for a £50! I also had a coffee on drop-off and one on collection. Pretty sure they made no money from me that day, but as such i go back there for any Merc stuff.

Ironically my local garage is actually Croydon, which until recently had 2.1/5 rating on google reviews (they've been doing work to fudge that upwards it seems, now at 3.3). I couldn't even BUY a car there if i WANTED to, incredibly hard to achieve anything in that dealer. After 3 failed attempts to test drive an A45 ('we've lost our car', 'sorry the salesman isnt in today for your booking', 'we forgot to book in your test drive in the calendar so the car is already out') i went elsewhere and bought a C63. I once made the mistake of going back in on a 'sales event' to enquire about a potential AMG GT purchase and it took them 40 mins to find a sales guy to speak to me, i gave up and left.
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK