Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My first and last Mercedes, probably..!!

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:25 pm

Havard wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:19 pm
Ducklakeview wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:09 pm
Havard wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:07 pm Are pads normally 8mm? Thought they would be thicker than that.

They have got me by the balls here. As part of the lease agreement, the car has to be serviced by a main dealer... :x I am going to go to the ombudsman and see where I get with it. Looks like I will be going back to Volvo or Audi after this as £1500 in servicing for 32k miles is a rip off in anyone's book.
8-9mm for the friction material is around the norm for fronts (excluding the backing plate)

Mike
Wow. The pads must be harder than Chinese Algebra.... :tumbleweed:
Or the discs softer than my Rottweiler?

Mike

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:24 pm

Havard wrote:As part of the lease agreement, the car has to be serviced by a main dealer...
Glad you checked that, I was going to say that the ‘anyone can service as long as they use genuine parts’ really only applies to purchases, and the lease cars are almost always main dealer only for servicing.

Hilly30si

Post by Hilly30si » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:12 pm

It’s one reason I would never have another Merc on Contract or lease, they tried to cane me on my E Class. I had to have it serviced twice on a 24 month contract cost £1250.00. You just wait for the inspection when you hand it back.
Last edited by Hilly30si on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Cars

2021 X3 M Sport loaded with Tec
1974 Triumph TR6 in Mimosa Yellow
Gone but not forgotten
2008 Z4 3.0 SI Roadster

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:20 pm

Hilly30si wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:12 pmIt’s one reason I would never have another Merc on Contract or lease, they tried to cane me on my E Class. You just wait for the inspection when you hand it back
I remember those "pre-handback" inspections when I used to lease cars... EVERY little mark, scuff and detail was documented - It amazed me how our interpretations of "fair wear and tear" differed wildly...

No more lease cars for me these days..

Mike

Hilly30si

Post by Hilly30si » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:27 pm

If it’s a Mercedes direct lease their hand back is anal, a driver comes to pick it up, then he waits for a agency guy to give it the once over. I met him with the card they sent you use to measure what size dink scuff etc, there was no way he was going to screw me. I never had a problem with Audi or VW
My Cars

Gone but not forgotten
2008 Z4 3.0 SI Roadster

Havard

Post by Havard » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:30 pm

Yep. I have been warned about the inspection.

They won't be getting an inch out of me as they have already upset me with their antics. They can sue me as I have to pass the invoice at work too. I have never, ever heard of a car needing discs at such a low mileage. Looks like I'll be going to Audi or Volvo next time.

H.
ImageImage

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:44 am

That's disappointing OP. :(

When I sold my 123d at 81K miles it was on original pads and discs all round - but then it was a BMW! :lol:

You say the pads must be hard, but it could be the discs are soft - either way good luck getting it sorted. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

R60BBA

Post by R60BBA » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:21 am

Havard wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:21 pm
R60BBA wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:17 pmHave you changed the front pads since ownernship?
No. Preston Mercedes tried to convince me that they must have been done on the first service if the discs are in this condition. I checked all the paperwork and they weren't done or even an advisory. I just paid for a basic service without any extras.

H.
They can’t argue that if there is no paperwork to support their claim.

From what you’ve said it’s probably one of the following:

1. Flat pads on uneven discs which cause hotspots when braking resulting in warping.
2. Pads were not bedded in properly.
3. Using the brake pedal at traffic lights and on hills instead of using the handbrake.

It is an interesting one as usually the pads go before the disc. But tbh, you’ve gotten 30,000 miles out of the car without changing the pads which is quite good imho.

Also, I know your car is on lease but I’m pretty sure you could take it to an indy and get a full set of OEM pads/discs and a fluid change for less than £800.

As long as you return the car in order how would they know?
Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 2005 997 Carrera S
Gone: 2004 R53 Cooper S
Gone: 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
Gone: 2007 Z4 E86 3.0Si Sport
Gone: 2001 Z3 E36/7 2.2i San Remo Individual
Gone: 2015 F21 116d M Sport
Gone: 2012 A3 Sportback 1.2TFSI

Lazza

Post by Lazza » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:01 pm

Wondermike wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:24 pm
Havard wrote:As part of the lease agreement, the car has to be serviced by a main dealer...
Glad you checked that, I was going to say that the ‘anyone can service as long as they use genuine parts’ really only applies to purchases, and the lease cars are almost always main dealer only for servicing.
Do brakes come under servicing? I would have thought they would be classed as consumables the same way as tyres. You aren't expected to go to a main dealer for those.
Z4 S-Drive 35i
Audi TT S-line
Mazda MX5 Mk2.5 (for sale)
Wokingham Berkshire

Havard

Post by Havard » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:26 pm

R60BBA wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:21 am
Havard wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:21 pm
R60BBA wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:17 pmHave you changed the front pads since ownernship?
No. Preston Mercedes tried to convince me that they must have been done on the first service if the discs are in this condition. I checked all the paperwork and they weren't done or even an advisory. I just paid for a basic service without any extras.

H.
They can’t argue that if there is no paperwork to support their claim.

From what you’ve said it’s probably one of the following:

1. Flat pads on uneven discs which cause hotspots when braking resulting in warping.
2. Pads were not bedded in properly.
3. Using the brake pedal at traffic lights and on hills instead of using the handbrake.

It is an interesting one as usually the pads go before the disc. But tbh, you’ve gotten 30,000 miles out of the car without changing the pads which is quite good imho.

Also, I know your car is on lease but I’m pretty sure you could take it to an indy and get a full set of OEM pads/discs and a fluid change for less than £800.

As long as you return the car in order how would they know?
I am not sure if it is all logged on a central system. I hold the brake when stopped and very seldom use the handbrake, I don't see how this can casue problems if I am not moving. Also, I have driven all my cars like this for 26 years.

At 16k miles, the front discs were 25%, rears were 15% worn. Suddenly in the last 16k miles the wear has been accelerated.

I have learned my lesson with these guys and considering the potential purchases that I would make over the next few years, I wouldn't give Mercedes the time of day. Bolton have offered to have a look at the car for a second opinion but I know the discs are worn, you can tell but the question is why?

H.
ImageImage

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:36 pm

Bugger that for a lease car....ebay is your friend here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-C22 ... SwiYlaDHgi

Hilly30si

Post by Hilly30si » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:48 pm

On my contract hire small print it said Service must be carried out at a Mercedes main dealer. It also stated that any service due before the end of the contract term must be carried out, so on a two year deal it would have to have two visits, if it was and 18 month deal then one visit would suffice.
My Cars

Gone but not forgotten
2008 Z4 3.0 SI Roadster

Havard

Post by Havard » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:09 pm

I think I am stuffed as far as having work done anywhere else. At £497.00 to have two brake discs fitted, these guys know how to bill and don't even seem concerned that a customer is upset or the argument doesn't add up. At £1500 for two services on a car that is 21 months old, I think it is up there with Aston and Porsche prices.

H.
ImageImage

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:44 pm

You can get the discs changed anywhere, even do them yourself....how will the leasing firm know they've been done elsewhere?

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:45 pm

Lazza wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:01 pm
Wondermike wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:24 pm
Do brakes come under servicing? I would have thought they would be classed as consumables the same way as tyres. You aren't expected to go to a main dealer for those.
I don’t have a copy now, I thought my leases covered everything, including tyre choice - no budget tyres. Good point though, I can’t remember.
Hilly30si wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:48 pmOn my contract hire small print it said Service must be carried out at a Mercedes main dealer. It also stated that any service due before the end of the contract term must be carried out, so on a two year deal it would have to have two visits, if it was and 18 month deal then one visit would suffice.
The way around that is to have the first service 2-3 weeks late, so the second one isn’t quite due when they come to collect it. I got caught first time around but did the above next time and it was fine.