Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brand Snobbery !

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Brand Snobbery !

Post by jamie_z4 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:05 am

if your not interested in cars, just getting from A-B with the comfort and security of a 3 year warranty then things like this are ideal.

all Renault running gear underneath aren't they
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Brand Snobbery !

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:50 am

I've always run my A to B cars for years.
I bought a Yaris a number of years ago with hardly any miles on and now it's approaching the hundred thousand.
Last MOT had no advisories and the tester said it would go on another hundred thousand.
It's not worth much now but who cares. I've had my monies worth out of it.
If you are going to keep a car long term I think something like a Dacia makes good sense :)

Graeme_NI

Brand Snobbery !

Post by Graeme_NI » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:44 am

I reccommended a Dacia to one of the guys I work with, he is not that interested in cars and just wants a fresh runabout for the family. Buy it, drive it into the ground, get another one. Wouldn't interest me personally, but I can see the appeal

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Brand Snobbery !

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:26 am

I think brand snobbery might have been more justified say 10 years ago when alot of cheap cars were just that cheap and pretty awful and you paid the premium for that quality and drive. These days though even cheap cars are loaded with kit and well finished and good to drive. I've had Suzuki Swifts in the past running alongside Audis and BMWs and really you just can't fault them. Having had a Hyundai i10 for getting on for 12 months now I absolutely love it and feel quite smug at how good the car is for what it cost for 10k less a little deposit. You can't fault the car to be honest, fit and finish is spot on, yes theres no soft touch plastics inside but standard equipment such as heated seats, heated steering wheel, electric sunroof, Apple Carplay and Android Auto with sat nav and free updates for 7 years and 5 years mechanical warranty make it a steal. I paid thousands for the same equipment on my BMW, crazy really. I thnk whats put me off new BMWs of late is unless you go for for a 5 Series or above the cheaper ranges just don't cut it anymore. I first noticed it with the E89, poor quality in many places and just didn't seem as good as my Z3 for build. The rear diffuser on my M140i is a joke how it flexes when washing the car and the exhaust trims corrode to nothing. The Hyundai everything is just solid with no squeaks or rattles. Will definitely look at another Hyundai when the time comes.

Tim.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Brand Snobbery !

Post by Ewazix » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:38 am

Dav the wheel nut wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:27 pm
Angelus666 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:07 pmthe Dacia would be a the bottom of my shopping list
What's that based on out of interest? Have you driven many?
Dacia is built on Renault platforms but often previous generation designs. Renault is now Nissan and share a lot of tech and re-badged models, hence Renaults improved reliability! I can't see anything wrong with the Dacia if you want basic motoring, the format, warranty and spec can't be beaten for the new price. Some of them also hold their value amazingly well.

A shonky X3 for the same money will be an odds-on money pit by comparison.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

maxman

Brand Snobbery !

Post by maxman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:53 pm

TitanTim wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:26 amI think brand snobbery might have been more justified say 10 years ago when alot of cheap cars were just that cheap and pretty awful and you paid the premium for that quality and drive. These days though even cheap cars are loaded with kit and well finished and good to drive. I've had Suzuki Swifts in the past running alongside Audis and BMWs and really you just can't fault them. Having had a Hyundai i10 for getting on for 12 months now I absolutely love it and feel quite smug at how good the car is for what it cost for 10k less a little deposit. You can't fault the car to be honest, fit and finish is spot on, yes theres no soft touch plastics inside but standard equipment such as heated seats, heated steering wheel, electric sunroof, Apple Carplay and Android Auto with sat nav and free updates for 7 years and 5 years mechanical warranty make it a steal. I paid thousands for the same equipment on my BMW, crazy really. I thnk whats put me off new BMWs of late is unless you go for for a 5 Series or above the cheaper ranges just don't cut it anymore. I first noticed it with the E89, poor quality in many places and just didn't seem as good as my Z3 for build. The rear diffuser on my M140i is a joke how it flexes when washing the car and the exhaust trims corrode to nothing. The Hyundai everything is just solid with no squeaks or rattles. Will definitely look at another Hyundai when the time comes.
Tim.
That's a good review for someone thinking of buying an i10. :thumbsup:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Brand Snobbery !

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:31 pm

maxman wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:53 pm
TitanTim wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:26 amI think brand snobbery might have been more justified say 10 years ago when alot of cheap cars were just that cheap and pretty awful and you paid the premium for that quality and drive. These days though even cheap cars are loaded with kit and well finished and good to drive. I've had Suzuki Swifts in the past running alongside Audis and BMWs and really you just can't fault them. Having had a Hyundai i10 for getting on for 12 months now I absolutely love it and feel quite smug at how good the car is for what it cost for 10k less a little deposit. You can't fault the car to be honest, fit and finish is spot on, yes theres no soft touch plastics inside but standard equipment such as heated seats, heated steering wheel, electric sunroof, Apple Carplay and Android Auto with sat nav and free updates for 7 years and 5 years mechanical warranty make it a steal. I paid thousands for the same equipment on my BMW, crazy really. I thnk whats put me off new BMWs of late is unless you go for for a 5 Series or above the cheaper ranges just don't cut it anymore. I first noticed it with the E89, poor quality in many places and just didn't seem as good as my Z3 for build. The rear diffuser on my M140i is a joke how it flexes when washing the car and the exhaust trims corrode to nothing. The Hyundai everything is just solid with no squeaks or rattles. Will definitely look at another Hyundai when the time comes.
Tim.
That's a good review for someone thinking of buying an i10. :thumbsup:
I think I should work for Hyundai :lol:

Tim.

Jaw

Brand Snobbery !

Post by Jaw » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:07 pm

badges don't mean what they once did, the quality of cars has risen *that* much due to it being cheaper to produce a quality product. We recently bought a Honda CRV and it was honestly 9/10ths the car that the Mercedes GLA was, for $20k less (or $35 for the same kit). It's insane just how good even a bad car is nowadays to a degree..
Z4M Roadster - Gone but not forgotten
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

gov

Brand Snobbery !

Post by gov » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:32 pm

Car arrived this week - already been valeted ready for picking up 1st March - went in today to give it a once over before it's registered . Have to say for a cheap car was not expecting to see much quality but was very pleasantly surprised :D seems very solid and well built - interior may be basic but again solid and well set out - opted for the base model but you still get remote lock , DAB radio , a/c , stop/start , hill assist ,eco mode ,daytime led,s etc - obviously not a true SUV but looks like one :D all for £9k otr

That's my wife's car sorted - still looking for the right Zed for me - gonna cost a lot more than £9k but at least my wife won't have a go about how much I spend on a new toy lol

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Brand Snobbery !

Post by Smartbear » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:15 pm

gov wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:32 pmCar arrived this week - already been valeted ready for picking up 1st March - went in today to give it a once over before it's registered . Have to say for a cheap car was not expecting to see much quality but was very pleasantly surprised :D seems very solid and well built - interior may be basic but again solid and well set out - opted for the base model but you still get remote lock , DAB radio , a/c , stop/start , hill assist ,eco mode ,daytime led,s etc - obviously not a true SUV but looks like one :D all for £9k otr

That's my wife's car sorted - still looking for the right Zed for me - gonna cost a lot more than £9k but at least my wife won't have a go about how much I spend on a new toy lol
Happy wife, happy life :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Havard

Brand Snobbery !

Post by Havard » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:29 pm

Father in law has a Dacia Duster and keeps papping on about how we should get one. He is 73 and retired, has dogs etc.

We are all petrolheads in our house and it is not something I would consider, unless I was on a really tight budget. I look for good value in my cars, so I wouldn't say I was a badge snob, but I do look for something that I feel is a bit special for the money, no matter how much money that is. I also look at what it will be worth in a few years.

He picked his Duster up as an ex demo for about £10K on a 16 plate, 2 years ago. I pulled up in a 35k Merc C class a week later. Considering I have just been dicked for £1500 over 2 services at Mercedes, I now know which one is the better car for the money. His has cost £300 by comparison, over the same period of time.

Would I now swap. No, if I am being honest. But I would never get another Mercedes, once this one is gone. They are the opposite of this argument, mega money and not as special as you would think. Cars are emotive things to some people..!!

H.
ImageImage

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Brand Snobbery !

Post by jabber » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:19 pm

The trouble is the quality of modern bmws is not what it was, recently had an old 5 series ( think it was a 98 model ) as a loaner and was amazed at how much more solid it felt compared to a modern bm
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

Zoomer

Brand Snobbery !

Post by Zoomer » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:47 pm

My sis in law had a mitsi Colt , had It 3 years and as I said when she purchased it , it's got everything you want plus warranty and it cost about 7k , got run into the back last year and got about 4K back. You can't rent a car for that much. So why not do the same with a Dacia, hopefully not getting run into though!
Sterling Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather M sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Cruise and a nice warm garage. NOW GONE
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE