Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brand Snobbery !

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
gov

Brand Snobbery !

Post by gov » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:31 pm

First thing to say is my wife is not car minded - she's an A to B woman - as the poor old dear is getting older ( she's not listening is she ? :roll: ) and finding it hard with a hip problem I've been looking for a replacement for her old Fiesta that is higher up and easier to get in and out of - we were passing a Renault garage who also deals with Dacia - have in the past considered a Dacia Stepway as a replacement for the Fiesta . Had a decko of a white basic Stepway - have to say it looked good in white and for £9k you get electric windows , bluetooth , MP3 , remote locking , Stop/Go ,full size spare wheel , DAB radio etc - owners reviews 90% positive - albeit cheap well built 54mpg overall in petrol version and nippier than the Fiesta - if you're looking for a no thrills roomy small car at that price it's a no brainer - my wife test drove it and loved it so I ordered one there and then - delivery mid Feb - pick it up 1st March with 18 plate :D only negative even paying cash and no part ex Dacia's policy is no discount - if you believe it they only make £150 or so profit !

Response from some people though ! - I wouldn't buy a Dacia / cheap import / wouldn't be seen dead in one of those ! :x :x :x

Of course you get what you pay for and imho you're getting a lot of decent car for your money .

Vonlipvig

Brand Snobbery !

Post by Vonlipvig » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:40 pm

My brother in law has a Dacia Logan, cheap as chips and does everything he needs with the mrs and two kids. Brand new car, few year ago, at less than £7k with warranty, can't go wrong really. Gives him more money to keep the skyline ticking over :driving:
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

Angelus666

Brand Snobbery !

Post by Angelus666 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:07 pm

How many miles does your wife do a year? If she likes it then great, but the Dacia would be a the bottom of my shopping list.

I'm in the process of looking for another car right now, and £9k in cash can get you a lot of second-hand car (with warranty) and would be a much nicer place to sit in after that 18 plate new car smell has gone....

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Brand Snobbery !

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:27 pm

Angelus666 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:07 pmthe Dacia would be a the bottom of my shopping list
What's that based on out of interest? Have you driven many?

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Brand Snobbery !

Post by Z4M-2006 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:33 pm

A couple of our customers have bought stepways..

Only a couple of years old,but never had any problems with them.

At that money,why not ? Not a lot else can touch it,and it will be great for a good few years.

Snobbery is rife,i dont know why as there are truly no rubbish cars now.

I recently drove a BMW 2 series active tourer,and i think i prefer the stepway. The 2 series active tourer is a truly hideous car,bulit badly and does absolutley nothing well.. Starts around £25k iirc,and the one i drove was £30k ish..... I wouldnt have give £10k for the bag of sh1t..

Paulr

Brand Snobbery !

Post by Paulr » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:00 pm

Dacia and Skoda are well worth a look. Badge snobs are losing out big time!
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

Angelus666

Brand Snobbery !

Post by Angelus666 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:01 pm

Dav the wheel nut wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:27 pm
Angelus666 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:07 pmthe Dacia would be a the bottom of my shopping list
TBH I've never driven any of them, and they might genuinely be a decent drive...but...a good second hand VW Tiguan or BMW X3 would have probably been a better buy if you factor total cost of ownership.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Brand Snobbery !

Post by buzyg » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:07 pm

Me I'll take value for money over a badge all day long. :D :thumbsup:

That's the only way I will ever save enough for that Aston. :wink:

gov

Brand Snobbery !

Post by gov » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:15 pm

Angelus666 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:01 pm
Dav the wheel nut wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:27 pm
TBH I've never driven any of them, and they might genuinely be a decent drive...but...a good second hand VW Tiguan or BMW X3 would have probably been a better buy if you factor total cost of ownership.
I do understand where you're coming from - wanted a newish car but not too big - your two examples are fine cars - but you would have to go back a few years to get either of these for the same money - was considering a Ford Ecosport or Mokka but both a lot more money at 2yrs old.

gov

Brand Snobbery !

Post by gov » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:41 pm

buzyg wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:07 pmMe I'll take value for money over a badge all day long. :D :thumbsup:

That's the only way I will ever save enough for that Aston. :wink:
Spot on mate - still looking for a red 28i or 3.0 SE manual E89 so will need all the money I can save !

Paulr

Brand Snobbery !

Post by Paulr » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:06 pm

I can lease you a brand new Citroen C3 1.2 Feel for £150 plus vat down, & £150 plus Vat a month, 10k a year 2 years. Brilliant car and really funky.
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

IRD

Brand Snobbery !

Post by IRD » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:08 pm

I have had three Skodas in recent years. Two new Fabia vRs’s and an old Octavia 4x4 Estate which I bought for £500 and sold for a small profit eighteen months later. All three were great cars, fun to drive and cheap to run. I dread to to think about what I’ll lose when I come to trade my current 330d Touring. My trouble is I buy with my heart rather than my head. I guess like a lot of guys on here. If I had any common sense then Dacia would be at the top of my list.

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Brand Snobbery !

Post by mcbeee » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:23 pm

to be honest , we don't have any of those cars over her, I had to Google Dacia to see one. They look OK
My neighbourhood has a lot of Hyundais and Kias, the old people love them. My wife is more of a car snob than me, she's quite happy driving the M roadster. I could happily zip around in Scooby or a Toyota. Good quality and reasonable price. I'd have to get counseling to rid myself of the idea that a car has to drive like a 911 or it's no good but that time will come I'm sure.
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

Sae

Brand Snobbery !

Post by Sae » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:33 pm

If youre looking for an a-to-b car then nothing wrong with any budget badges. My only stipulation would be a decent safety rating - afterall it is your other half in the car
Z4MCoupe Sapphire Black

dhobbs

Brand Snobbery !

Post by dhobbs » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:45 am

Dacia is just a rebranded Renault. Out in Saudi I see them and they all have Renault badges. It's obviously built to a price though but for an A to B car you can't go wrong.
Skoda's ain't cheap now, but we all know they're basically VW.

As for brand snobbery, I think it may become a thing of the past , what with PCP deals making new cars affordable to more people, plus the fact that most cars look very similar now.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup: