Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2009 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Pastry

Post by Pastry » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:11 pm

mcbeee wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:34 pm have you looked at the Macan? I followed one around the track in my Carrera S and was suitably impressed :thumbsup: the thing took the twisty bits in great form, i caught it on all the straight sections easily but that is to be expected. Smaller and more agile than the Cayenne, probably a little easier on the wallet too.
They are a lovely car but the diesel starts around £30k and a petrol around £40k so double what a gen 2 cayenne costs
991 Carrera 2S
Now gone:
2008 Z4MR Midnight Blue Metallic
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Ruby Black
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Titanium Silver
2010 Z4 23i Msport and a 3.0i

jamiez

Post by jamiez » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:15 pm

mcbeee wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:34 pm have you looked at the Macan? I followed one around the track in my Carrera S and was suitably impressed :thumbsup: the thing took the twisty bits in great form, i caught it on all the straight sections easily but that is to be expected. Smaller and more agile than the Cayenne, probably a little easier on the wallet too.
They are nice but doesn’t fit in with my requirements for the type of thing I’m looking for

But thanks
Z4MC | Midnight Blue | OEM CSL's + MPSS | Extended Light Sepang Leather | Folding Mirrors | Stubby| BT | Prof Nav | DSP HiFi | Intravee | Privacy | Illuminated ZHP…

jamiez

Post by jamiez » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:18 pm

coupedan wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:10 pm My colleague picked up a 100K mile gen2 Turbo (non-S) last week for £10.5K.. no idea how but he managed to knock the guy down 4.5K because it needs tyres and brakes all round...

I used to work for a Porsche dealership.. this is how I saw the Turbo'd Cayennes:

These are not plagued with the cylinder scoring of the N/A 4.5l V8's
They also do not have coolant pipe issues as the N/A 4.5's do (Intake manifold off job)

The issues they do have are:
Valve chain gaskets can leak = engine out job
Boost pipes can break down after time (pretty rare - but not really any difference in any other Turbo'd car)
Camshaft solenoids can become faulty - throwing an engine check light.
Tailpipe clamps can corrode and your tailpipe will end up pointing at the floor - simple job, cheap to replace the clamps.
Air suspension can fail.. these are the struts which go bang pretty horrifically - mainly from hitting big holes
(Look at this picture - it's the silver ring in the middle that basically explodes :o ) https://goo.gl/images/ifiVvj
Electric tailgate struts can become weak which means the boot doesn't hold itself up too well.

Stay away from anything with aftermarket / different sized wheels too - this eats the Autobox valvechest which means it's like being punched in the back of the head when changing gear - expensive repair..

Other than that - they are pretty bulletproof and ballistic quick! Very deceiving having something that big and heavy outrunning most things on the road, good chassis control if you have the PDCC (Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control) which is basically electrically adjustable anti-roll bars.

As mentioned above.. if you want the Turbo S.. you will need a mortgage for front discs and pads as they are bigger than the "standard" S
Tyres are very expensive if it is on the 21" GTS alloys as pictured above.
This is great info and very helpful talking points subject to some addition research to see how applicable all of these points are to the Turbo S. the things are so rare means it’s hard to find any “forum” info from actual owners.

The brakes is an interesting point. I did a quick ecp look up on a turbo s reg and the most expensive front discs were cheaper than those for our M. Hopefully it didn’t navigate incorrectly. I can imagine dealer prices will be crazy ...
Z4MC | Midnight Blue | OEM CSL's + MPSS | Extended Light Sepang Leather | Folding Mirrors | Stubby| BT | Prof Nav | DSP HiFi | Intravee | Privacy | Illuminated ZHP…

jamiez

Post by jamiez » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:18 pm

jamiez wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:18 pm
coupedan wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:10 pm My colleague picked up a 100K mile gen2 Turbo (non-S) last week for £10.5K.. no idea how but he managed to knock the guy down 4.5K because it needs tyres and brakes all round...

I used to work for a Porsche dealership.. this is how I saw the Turbo'd Cayennes:

These are not plagued with the cylinder scoring of the N/A 4.5l V8's
They also do not have coolant pipe issues as the N/A 4.5's do (Intake manifold off job)

The issues they do have are:
Valve chain gaskets can leak = engine out job
Boost pipes can break down after time (pretty rare - but not really any difference in any other Turbo'd car)
Camshaft solenoids can become faulty - throwing an engine check light.
Tailpipe clamps can corrode and your tailpipe will end up pointing at the floor - simple job, cheap to replace the clamps.
Air suspension can fail.. these are the struts which go bang pretty horrifically - mainly from hitting big holes
(Look at this picture - it's the silver ring in the middle that basically explodes :o ) https://goo.gl/images/ifiVvj
Electric tailgate struts can become weak which means the boot doesn't hold itself up too well.

Stay away from anything with aftermarket / different sized wheels too - this eats the Autobox valvechest which means it's like being punched in the back of the head when changing gear - expensive repair..

Other than that - they are pretty bulletproof and ballistic quick! Very deceiving having something that big and heavy outrunning most things on the road, good chassis control if you have the PDCC (Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control) which is basically electrically adjustable anti-roll bars.

As mentioned above.. if you want the Turbo S.. you will need a mortgage for front discs and pads as they are bigger than the "standard" S
Tyres are very expensive if it is on the 21" GTS alloys as pictured above.
This is great info and very helpful talking points subject to some addition research to see how applicable all of these points are to the Turbo S. the things are so rare means it’s hard to find any “forum” info from actual owners.

The brakes is an interesting point. I did a quick ecp look up on a turbo s reg and the most expensive front discs were cheaper than those for our M. Hopefully it didn’t navigate incorrectly. I can imagine dealer prices will be crazy ...
Oh and what year was your mates?

coupedan

Post by coupedan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:21 pm

I think there is a conversion from two piece discs to a single piece which may be the ECP's version.

I think dealer prices are just over £1000 per disc ex pads ex labour :o

coupedan

Post by coupedan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:22 pm

2009 / 2010 I think.. he's not in at work at the moment so can't say for sure but it's a definite Gen2

jamiez

Post by jamiez » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:49 pm

coupedan wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:22 pm
2009 / 2010 I think.. he's not in at work at the moment so can't say for sure but it's a definite Gen2
If it’s really a 2009 gen2 turbo which he got for 10k then either it’s a lemon or bargain of the year. Or it’s a 2007/2008. Gen2s finished after 2009.

jamiez

Post by jamiez » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:54 pm

coupedan wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:21 pm

I think there is a conversion from two piece discs to a single piece which may be the ECP's version.

I think dealer prices are just over £1000 per disc ex pads ex labour :o
Ooh very interesting. A quick google confirms indeed there is! Looks like front discs are more like 400 a pair! Thanks for that heads up also.

1doohan

Post by 1doohan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:40 pm

I was after one of these purely for the 500+ bhp on offer as standard and fancied terrorising Porsches around the Nurburgring.
Went to a lovely part of Essex to look at a nice black one, as soon as I saw it the alarm bells were ringing and politely said it was not a Turbo S, the S has just been added to the tailgate. No Turbo S on door sills, or on console, So he got log book out which made no mention of the S, front discs were not filling the wheels., build sticker in boot devoid of the magical S.Searched online and saw a pic of a dash which read avg mpg 9 so gave up immediately. Now have a sapphire black Z4 coupe.
Z4C Sapphire Black 398s Whippy
M4 Competition

1doohan

Post by 1doohan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:59 pm

I liked this owners write up...espesh comparing bhp figures from vastly more expensive cars.
http://kenrockwell.com/porsche/cayenne-turbo-s/
Z4C Sapphire Black 398s Whippy
M4 Competition

jamiez

Post by jamiez » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:45 pm

1doohan wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:40 pmI was after one of these purely for the 500+ bhp on offer as standard and fancied terrorising Porsches around the Nurburgring.
Went to a lovely part of Essex to look at a nice black one, as soon as I saw it the alarm bells were ringing and politely said it was not a Turbo S, the S has just been added to the tailgate. No Turbo S on door sills, or on console, So he got log book out which made no mention of the S, front discs were not filling the wheels., build sticker in boot devoid of the magical S.Searched online and saw a pic of a dash which read avg mpg 9 so gave up immediately. Now have a sapphire black Z4 coupe.
There some easily things which distinguish a genuine Turbo S from a regular Turbo such as while dials and carbon fibre inserts on the top of the engine bay amongst other things.

You did the right thing to walk away.

jamiez

Post by jamiez » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:49 pm

So I’m pretty set on one now. Went to look at one but it was a utter nail (and was accident damaged and repaired very badly) and the other I really liked is now sold (well at least deposit paid but cannot pick up for 2 weeks - humm - let’s see if the buyer stacks up)

Aside from that there is only one other I can find for sale but it’s too much money. The search continues!

GreyZed

Post by GreyZed » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:48 pm

Thinking of upgrading the X3 and also looked at these but fear of unexpected huge bills has scared me off.

I'm thinking an X5 4.8 is a safer bet?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-X5-4-8-B ... SwsBtaRi~o

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-BMW-X5- ... SwvfZZ9GVI
3.0 auto, sterling grey, hardtop, prfessional nav, dsp, digital tv, bluetooth, cruise, xenons, mfsw, cupholders, auto lights, auto wipers, folding mirrors, memory seats, wind deflector, pdc, 108s, LED sides/fogs, stubby, intravee, need a quad exhaust!

Adam D

Post by Adam D » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:27 am

GreyZed wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:48 pmThinking of upgrading the X3 and also looked at these but fear of unexpected huge bills has scared me off.

I'm thinking an X5 4.8 is a safer bet?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-X5-4-8-B ... SwsBtaRi~o

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-BMW-X5- ... SwvfZZ9GVI
Engine potentially bothersome after 80k requiring replacement of some seals inside which are not cheap to do. Look for smoking on idle (burning oil).

I like them but people tend to think the 40d with the newer 8 speed box is a better match.
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

coupedan

Post by coupedan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:19 pm

jamiez wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:49 pm
coupedan wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:22 pm
If it’s really a 2009 gen2 turbo which he got for 10k then either it’s a lemon or bargain of the year. Or it’s a 2007/2008. Gen2s finished after 2009.
I finally had a look at his plate - it's on an 08 plate, seems in good enough condition though.