Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlamp bulb life

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Paulr

Headlamp bulb life

Post by Paulr » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:31 pm

About three years ago I upgraded my Santa Fe head lamp bulbs to Philips H4 high Intensity bulbs because the factory ones are a bit dull. This morning they both blew as I started out on my rainy 6.00am journey! (so I swapped to my Z4).

Can I assume if one bulb goes it overloads the other? And that the brighter lamps burn brighter but at a cost of lifespan? I kept the original bulbs and put them back in after checking fuses etc. They still work fine.

What are others experiences of these brighter bulbs?
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Headlamp bulb life

Post by ph001 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:34 pm

No, one blowing won't overload the other - they both have their own 12V feeds so are not connected together.

Bulb brightness and lifetime are very much related though. This page gives you a good idea of lifetime vs performance etc...

https://www.philips.co.uk/c-m-au/car-li ... bs/halogen
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Headlamp bulb life

Post by Marlon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:39 pm

I use Osram Night breakers and when one goes the other is not far behind - higher intensity lights burn out faster, but its worth the trade off to me as they are a huge improvement over the standard candles.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Paulr

Headlamp bulb life

Post by Paulr » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:59 pm

Wow, thanks for the link, cant believe my bulbs only had a 400 hour lifespan. That is just 4 hours a day for less than a year.
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.