Toyota GR Yaris

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Post Reply
Online
User avatar
Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 4660
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:59 pm
Location: Paisley

Toyota GR Yaris

Post by Nictrix » Sun May 16, 2021 6:48 pm

Beedub wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:01 am wondering myself why i haven't seen any :? :? :? :? :?

ive got one for a day next week
Are you surprised?
They are an expensive hot hatch and for the money theres a lot of other cars that could be bought. Granted not new.
The ideal market for these is younger drivers but with the cost most probably cant afford them.
I would have to assume that the insurance for one of these will also put a lot of younger drivers off.
Maybe Im way off the mark as they arnt my cup of tea.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

User avatar
Beedub
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 10014
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:25 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield

Toyota GR Yaris

Post by Beedub » Mon May 17, 2021 10:19 am

based on the waiting list and sales so far.... yeah i expected to see more.
www.topwrapz.com - Multi Award Winning Detailing|Wrap|PPF Specialist|

bg1
Member
Member
Posts: 245
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:54 pm

Toyota GR Yaris

Post by bg1 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:32 pm


User avatar
Flyingfifer
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1340
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:50 am
Location: Fife, Scotland

Toyota GR Yaris

Post by Flyingfifer » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:27 pm

bg1 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:32 pm Faster than an E46 M3.....

https://www-motor1-com.cdn.ampproject.o ... s-races%2F
Quicker not faster, the Yaris tops out at about 143 because of its short gearing.
It just shows you though what good gearing and lighter weight can do even if you are down on power :driving:
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

User avatar
MerBrook
Member
Member
Posts: 600
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:26 pm

Toyota GR Yaris

Post by MerBrook » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:49 pm

Spotted two of these now. The first, a white one at Caffeine and Machine on bank holiday Monday and the second one, a Deep Red ,just now in Stratford.
Personally preferred the white one out of the two.
Thought that they were quite understated in the flesh and should think they will give quite a few people a bit of a surprise.
Image
Alpina Roadster S Lux No.169, E86 Coupe Si Sport, Gone E86 Coupe Si SE

User avatar
Beedub
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 10014
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:25 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield

Toyota GR Yaris

Post by Beedub » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:57 pm

well.....

i finally got my hands on one of these for a somewhat extended drive and ......... i didn't leave LOVING it, if i'm honest...... maybe it was the hype, maybe it was all the youtube videos ive been watching. Don't get me wrong, its a fantastic little hatch but..... it reminded me of a fast audi... Definitely more impreza than evo ( if anyone gets than analogy) . Ill do a more in depth review when i'm off work later in the week.

As such i definitely will get one.... but i wont be buying new. Deposit returned.
www.topwrapz.com - Multi Award Winning Detailing|Wrap|PPF Specialist|

User avatar
BeeEmm
Member
Member
Posts: 957
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:23 am
Location: London

Toyota GR Yaris

Post by BeeEmm » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:50 pm

Beedub wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:57 pm well.....

i finally got my hands on one of these for a somewhat extended drive and ......... i didn't leave LOVING it, if i'm honest...... maybe it was the hype, maybe it was all the youtube videos ive been watching. Don't get me wrong, its a fantastic little hatch but..... it reminded me of a fast audi... Definitely more impreza than evo ( if anyone gets than analogy) . Ill do a more in depth review when i'm off work later in the week.

As such i definitely will get one.... but i wont be buying new. Deposit returned.
That's the value of an extended test drive for any car anyone thinks of buying. Look forward to your detailed review. ORA best Byron.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

User avatar
LeeZ4MR
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 4105
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:36 pm
Location: Lincs

Toyota GR Yaris

Post by LeeZ4MR » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:15 pm

I do think that the hype around these has been a little bit too daft to be fair. There isn't much wrong with loads of hype for sure, but it can send your expectations through the roof though, and then the car can actually end up being a massive disappointment/not getting near your expectation of it I reckon.
Current...BMW F82 M4 Coupe 2018
370Z Roadster 2011
Merc GLC350d 2017

Previous.. Audi TTS 2012
640d 2012
330i 2006
Z4MR 2006
E92 M3 2009
X5 4.8iS 2004
TVR Cerbera 4.5

Babw
Member
Member
Posts: 464
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 5:08 pm

Toyota GR Yaris

Post by Babw » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:19 pm

Beedub wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:57 pm well.....

i finally got my hands on one of these for a somewhat extended drive and ......... i didn't leave LOVING it, if i'm honest...... maybe it was the hype, maybe it was all the youtube videos ive been watching. Don't get me wrong, its a fantastic little hatch but..... it reminded me of a fast audi... Definitely more impreza than evo ( if anyone gets than analogy) . Ill do a more in depth review when i'm off work later in the week.

As such i definitely will get one.... but i wont be buying new. Deposit returned.
Fair play to you for letting actual experience dictate rather than hype. So many of my friends buy cars purely based on hype and they have decided down to exact spec etc before driving it or even sitting in it. It's beyond me.

User avatar
Beedub
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 10014
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:25 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield

Toyota GR Yaris

Post by Beedub » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:06 pm

Ok , currently in chemo session number 3 so ive got some time to write about my experience.. please excuse my typos and poor grammer, chem really messes with my cognitive functions.

collected a red GR-4 with total excitement a few weeks ago... moving off, arhhhhh that 3 cyclinder.... i can feel im going to have issues with this engine. i REALLY didnt like it, to me, it really made the car feel ordinary. The slow 3 pot thrum , the slow rev behaviour , and to me it did NOT feel 260hp worth. That was the first big disappointment, the piped in sound is awful as well, i did not enjoy the experience in the cabin at all.

Handling is very subaru / Audi, absolutely rock steady but not fun at all.... but really locked in and a serious point to point machine, on a back road , this thing will trounce most things . The brakes were nothing short of incredible, 4 pots 360mm rotors just haul this thing down in a different way , 10/10 for this. Seats.... arhhhh guys im 6ft tall and i felt like i was sitting on a bench, major downer.... The transmission which everybody bangs on about how good the gear change is , to me did not feel great.... Definitely not as good as my old fiesta ST with short shift mod and no where near the z4m gear change ( which many dont like). Driving back in the z4m was the final nail in the coffin. within 3 days id emailed steven eagle and cancelled my order. i came away liking the car, but i definitely didnt fall in love with it.

For my the car is vastly over hyped and it made me go in with i think unrealistic expectations. Personally, i think my old fiesta ST was better and much much more fun.
www.topwrapz.com - Multi Award Winning Detailing|Wrap|PPF Specialist|

Online
User avatar
Argyll Andy
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2153
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:16 pm
Location: Argyll & Bute

Toyota GR Yaris

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:19 pm

Beedub wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:06 pm Ok , currently in chemo session number 3 so ive got some time to write about my experience.. please excuse my typos and poor grammer, chem really messes with my cognitive functions.

collected a red GR-4 with total excitement a few weeks ago... moving off, arhhhhh that 3 cyclinder.... i can feel im going to have issues with this engine. i REALLY didnt like it, to me, it really made the car feel ordinary. The slow 3 pot thrum , the slow rev behaviour , and to me it did NOT feel 260hp worth. That was the first big disappointment, the piped in sound is awful as well, i did not enjoy the experience in the cabin at all.

Handling is very subaru / Audi, absolutely rock steady but not fun at all.... but really locked in and a serious point to point machine, on a back road , this thing will trounce most things . The brakes were nothing short of incredible, 4 pots 360mm rotors just haul this thing down in a different way , 10/10 for this. Seats.... arhhhh guys im 6ft tall and i felt like i was sitting on a bench, major downer.... The transmission which everybody bangs on about how good the gear change is , to me did not feel great.... Definitely not as good as my old fiesta ST with short shift mod and no where near the z4m gear change ( which many dont like). Driving back in the z4m was the final nail in the coffin. within 3 days id emailed steven eagle and cancelled my order. i came away liking the car, but i definitely didnt fall in love with it.

For my the car is vastly over hyped and it made me go in with i think unrealistic expectations. Personally, i think my old fiesta ST was better and much much more fun.
You’re just spoiled with what you’ve got to compare it too :poke: another 3 cylinders and 300 bhp and you’d be happier :lol:

Hope today’s going better than the last one bud :thumbsup:
Currently Zedless 10 more sleeps until our Misano Blue M40i arrives :D
E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone to a good home :thumbsup:)
E89 23i sDrive, Silver, Black leather heated MSport, Cruise, 296’s, Stubby (gone)

User avatar
Beedub
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 10014
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:25 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield

Toyota GR Yaris

Post by Beedub » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:32 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:19 pm
Beedub wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:06 pm Ok , currently in chemo session number 3 so ive got some time to write about my experience.. please excuse my typos and poor grammer, chem really messes with my cognitive functions.

collected a red GR-4 with total excitement a few weeks ago... moving off, arhhhhh that 3 cyclinder.... i can feel im going to have issues with this engine. i REALLY didnt like it, to me, it really made the car feel ordinary. The slow 3 pot thrum , the slow rev behaviour , and to me it did NOT feel 260hp worth. That was the first big disappointment, the piped in sound is awful as well, i did not enjoy the experience in the cabin at all.

Handling is very subaru / Audi, absolutely rock steady but not fun at all.... but really locked in and a serious point to point machine, on a back road , this thing will trounce most things . The brakes were nothing short of incredible, 4 pots 360mm rotors just haul this thing down in a different way , 10/10 for this. Seats.... arhhhh guys im 6ft tall and i felt like i was sitting on a bench, major downer.... The transmission which everybody bangs on about how good the gear change is , to me did not feel great.... Definitely not as good as my old fiesta ST with short shift mod and no where near the z4m gear change ( which many dont like). Driving back in the z4m was the final nail in the coffin. within 3 days id emailed steven eagle and cancelled my order. i came away liking the car, but i definitely didnt fall in love with it.

For my the car is vastly over hyped and it made me go in with i think unrealistic expectations. Personally, i think my old fiesta ST was better and much much more fun.
You’re just spoiled with what you’ve got to compare it too :poke: another 3 cylinders and 300 bhp and you’d be happier :lol:

Hope today’s going better than the last one bud :thumbsup:
my z4m is definitely not a fair comparison BUT.... what i love the most, its feels alive, part of me, im part of it when im driving it.... i can feel things that are happening , the sound, the vibrations , my z4m just feels absolutely amazing. i wasn't wanting the yaris to match it, that's unrealistic, the z4 is my state of tune and mod level is way up their but i expected to get that feel of yesssss from the yaris... but i didn't. i simply couldn't not justify the price tag and trust me i tried!

i REALLLLLLY wanted to love it... but i just didn't. I genuinely believe the over hyped reviews didn't help, my expectations were not realistic.
maybe im just wrong....
www.topwrapz.com - Multi Award Winning Detailing|Wrap|PPF Specialist|

Online
User avatar
Argyll Andy
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2153
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:16 pm
Location: Argyll & Bute

Toyota GR Yaris

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:44 pm

Beedub wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:32 pm
Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:19 pm
Beedub wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:06 pm Ok , currently in chemo session number 3 so ive got some time to write about my experience.. please excuse my typos and poor grammer, chem really messes with my cognitive functions.

collected a red GR-4 with total excitement a few weeks ago... moving off, arhhhhh that 3 cyclinder.... i can feel im going to have issues with this engine. i REALLY didnt like it, to me, it really made the car feel ordinary. The slow 3 pot thrum , the slow rev behaviour , and to me it did NOT feel 260hp worth. That was the first big disappointment, the piped in sound is awful as well, i did not enjoy the experience in the cabin at all.

Handling is very subaru / Audi, absolutely rock steady but not fun at all.... but really locked in and a serious point to point machine, on a back road , this thing will trounce most things . The brakes were nothing short of incredible, 4 pots 360mm rotors just haul this thing down in a different way , 10/10 for this. Seats.... arhhhh guys im 6ft tall and i felt like i was sitting on a bench, major downer.... The transmission which everybody bangs on about how good the gear change is , to me did not feel great.... Definitely not as good as my old fiesta ST with short shift mod and no where near the z4m gear change ( which many dont like). Driving back in the z4m was the final nail in the coffin. within 3 days id emailed steven eagle and cancelled my order. i came away liking the car, but i definitely didnt fall in love with it.

For my the car is vastly over hyped and it made me go in with i think unrealistic expectations. Personally, i think my old fiesta ST was better and much much more fun.
You’re just spoiled with what you’ve got to compare it too :poke: another 3 cylinders and 300 bhp and you’d be happier :lol:

Hope today’s going better than the last one bud :thumbsup:
my z4m is definitely not a fair comparison BUT.... what i love the most, its feels alive, part of me, im part of it when im driving it.... i can feel things that are happening , the sound, the vibrations , my z4m just feels absolutely amazing. i wasn't wanting the yaris to match it, that's unrealistic, the z4 is my state of tune and mod level is way up their but i expected to get that feel of yesssss from the yaris... but i didn't. i simply couldn't not justify the price tag and trust me i tried!

i REALLLLLLY wanted to love it... but i just didn't. I genuinely believe the over hyped reviews didn't help, my expectations were not realistic.
maybe im just wrong....
:rofl: :rofl: I know it’s not a fair comparison and I know you wanted to love it. I remember the disappointment in your voice when you phoned to tell me how it’d gone and as discussed, if you’re not feeling it, which you definitely didn’t, it’s not for you :thumbsup:

Just think of the fun deciding what’s going to appear in its place :wink:
Currently Zedless 10 more sleeps until our Misano Blue M40i arrives :D
E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone to a good home :thumbsup:)
E89 23i sDrive, Silver, Black leather heated MSport, Cruise, 296’s, Stubby (gone)

User avatar
Beedub
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 10014
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:25 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield

Toyota GR Yaris

Post by Beedub » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:01 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:44 pm
Beedub wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:32 pm
Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:19 pm You’re just spoiled with what you’ve got to compare it too :poke: another 3 cylinders and 300 bhp and you’d be happier :lol:

Hope today’s going better than the last one bud :thumbsup:
my z4m is definitely not a fair comparison BUT.... what i love the most, its feels alive, part of me, im part of it when im driving it.... i can feel things that are happening , the sound, the vibrations , my z4m just feels absolutely amazing. i wasn't wanting the yaris to match it, that's unrealistic, the z4 is my state of tune and mod level is way up their but i expected to get that feel of yesssss from the yaris... but i didn't. i simply couldn't not justify the price tag and trust me i tried!

i REALLLLLLY wanted to love it... but i just didn't. I genuinely believe the over hyped reviews didn't help, my expectations were not realistic.
maybe im just wrong....
:rofl: :rofl: I know it’s not a fair comparison and I know you wanted to love it. I remember the disappointment in your voice when you phoned to tell me how it’d gone and as discussed, if you’re not feeling it, which you definitely didn’t, it’s not for you :thumbsup:

Just think of the fun deciding what’s going to appear in its place :wink:
ive got the rs Q3 sportback
z4m - supercar slayer
old police van - my fave of the lot. lol.....
- what next????? camper van im thinking... i want to tour! civic Typre R maybe?
www.topwrapz.com - Multi Award Winning Detailing|Wrap|PPF Specialist|

User avatar
DPG
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 4156
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:41 pm
Location: West Yorks

Toyota GR Yaris

Post by DPG » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:20 am

I think your experiences are echoed by quite a few on the Facebook group that are getting out (selling for list) after a few weeks.

Post Reply