Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sealant, wax or both?

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
dhobbs

Sealant, wax or both?

Post by dhobbs » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:48 pm

So I went into halfords to get a clay mitt (recommended by Marlon) and I came out with some AG ultra deep shine and extra gloss protection.
My question is does the extra gloss protection replace the wax or is it in addition to it?

Advise welcome.

My plan is to snow foam, wash, clay, wash again, polish then either wax,seal or both. Need to take a day of work for this!
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

billz

Sealant, wax or both?

Post by billz » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:30 pm

Once i have decontaminated i rinse, snow foam, rinse, wash, polish then i use Swissvax Shield Wax. Your wax is the sealant
3.0si Ruby Black, Champagne Leather, 3SDM Alloys Scorpion Exhaust

biojo

Sealant, wax or both?

Post by biojo » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:36 pm

you can use a sealant on top of wax, but some will say

sealant gives the car a sterile look
wax looks more slippery

I know when i had just wax on the car looked great, all water run straight off it. With sealant on top of wax car still looks good but doesnt have the wet look, water does bead up n run off. but it looks cleaner for longer.

You will need to leave the car few hours (mine says 24 hours before using a sealant)

but here`s what i do

foam car and wash
spray tardis and rub all over panel, any tar spots spray more and rub off
rinse car
spray car with iron pro
rinse car then wash (citrus spray)
next clay bar and lube
rinse and wash, then dry
auto finese triple polish
wax (carnauba x3), between layers (Gtechniq - G1 ClearVision, wheel wax, tyre gel and black bits on car)
sealant

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Sealant, wax or both?

Post by PerryGunn » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:59 pm

The vast majority of modern high-performance sealants are made to be applied to, and bond to, bare paint i.e. after a machine (or hand) polish and a wipe down with panel wipe or IPA to remove any oils left from the polish. Most decent sealants, if applied to bare paint, will outlast wax many times over

If you apply a sealant on top of wax you won't do any harm but, because it will bond to the wax rather than to the paint, you will reduce the useful life of the sealant as it will only last as long as the wax (at best a little longer than wax alone)

If you want to apply wax on top of a sealant (after it's cured) because you prefer the look, in the same way that people prefer the sound of vinyl to CDs, then that's fine but waxes can't compete with the latest generation of sealants for durability or water & dirt repellency
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

dhobbs

Sealant, wax or both?

Post by dhobbs » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:24 pm

Thanks for the replies, looks like it's sealant then, which is good as I always found wax a pain to apply.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Sealant, wax or both?

Post by MACK » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:55 am

Most of the better detailers out there recommend sealant then wax. As others have said the sealant is much more longer lasting and designed to go straight on to bare paint. You get the best of both worlds with the top coat of wax giving you that deeper wet look and you just top up the wax every month or so with a proper wax or even one of those detailer spray waxes.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

dhobbs

Sealant, wax or both?

Post by dhobbs » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:40 pm

MACK wrote:Most of the better detailers out there recommend sealant then wax. As others have said the sealant is much more longer lasting and designed to go straight on to bare paint. You get the best of both worlds with the top coat of wax giving you that deeper wet look and you just top up the wax every month or so with a proper wax or even one of those detailer spray waxes.
I use aqua wax after each wash, gives it a nice shine plus no water marks.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Sealant, wax or both?

Post by MACK » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:52 pm

dhobbs wrote:So I went into halfords to get a clay mitt (recommended by Marlon) and I came out with some AG ultra deep shine and extra gloss protection.
My question is does the extra gloss protection replace the wax or is it in addition to it?

Advise welcome.

My plan is to snow foam, wash, clay, wash again, polish then either wax,seal or both. Need to take a day of work for this!
Autoglym seem to state you don't use Ultra Deep Shine and Extra Gloss Protection together, check out this link

http://www.autoglym.com/products/produc ... deep-shine
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

dhobbs

Sealant, wax or both?

Post by dhobbs » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:52 pm

MACK wrote:
dhobbs wrote:So I went into halfords to get a clay mitt (recommended by Marlon) and I came out with some AG ultra deep shine and extra gloss protection.

Advise welcome.

Autoglym seem to state you don't use Ultra Deep Shine and Extra Gloss Protection together, check out this link

I did see that after posting on here, but wanted advice from you guys as well. I shall give it a go.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Sealant, wax or both?

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:08 pm

Never ever heard of sealer on top of wax. Sounds like putting primer on top of gloss and expecting a decent shine
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Sealant, wax or both?

Post by Nanu » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:57 pm

MACK wrote:

Advise welcome.

Great link. :thumbsup: Never heard of a manufacturer recommending that you don't need to use one of their products so would accept that as the definitive advice. Might try the tip of wax on top of the Extra Gloss Protection and see what that does.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Sealant, wax or both?

Post by MACK » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:14 pm

dhobbs wrote:
MACK wrote:

Advise welcome.

I did see that after posting on here, but wanted advice from you guys as well. I shall give it a go.
I don't think will do any harm, Its probably just that it won't make it any better so to speak. I imagine is more a case of doing double the work for the same result.
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Sealant, wax or both?

Post by MACK » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:32 pm

Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

dhobbs

Sealant, wax or both?

Post by dhobbs » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:25 pm

OK, my basic understanding is that sealant will provide a long lasting protection and the wax will give it a good shine.
I might try both if I get the time (sealant first then wax after).

PotterZ28i

Sealant, wax or both?

Post by PotterZ28i » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:55 pm

With my last car I used Chemical Guys Jetseal109 then topped with one of their own waxes Petes 53 which gave a great result. Both were easy to apply and will be doing the same to the Z4 when get chance.
E89 sDrive28i M Sport