Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Stopping water marks on sapphire black?

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
ace

Re: Stopping water marks on sapphire black?

Post by ace » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:21 am

ive used rainwater for years now, dont chamois the car anymore and never get water marks on it.

shiney28

Post by shiney28 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:51 am

Ace,
You must have different rain than I get!!!

As said yesterday topped up the already frequently cared for paintwork with a coat of AG SRP and Megs GC Wax. It rained here for a few hours after.

Just looked at the paintwork and the rainwater has made it look horrendous....loads of dried water rings (from the big beads) nearly as bad as just tap water rinsing and leaving it.

Off to halfrauds for some quick detailing spray.
2007 (07) ///M coupe - Sapphire Black

playalistic

Post by playalistic » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:18 am

ace wrote:ive used rainwater for years now, dont chamois the car anymore and never get water marks on it.
Did you forget to add a smiley or were you being serious :tumbleweed:

shiney28

Post by shiney28 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:57 pm

UPDATE..... I posted on 24 Sept saying the rain water had left orrible water marks! But in the last 2 weeks the car has only been driven in the dry.

Today I washed the car, and I gotta say it was a pleasure. Maybe I have reached a significant layer of wax that makes the job so much easier.

The megs gold shampoo slipped onto the paintwork, after rinsing no panels seemed to dry before I could get to them. Microfibre dried with no streaking.

I think the decent build up of wax is the key
2007 (07) ///M coupe - Sapphire Black

blackredz4

Post by blackredz4 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:56 pm

dodo juice purple haze is better option then use dodo juice red mist as a detail spray for great results

bigshurv

Post by bigshurv » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:23 pm

I also use rainwater. We have a water but for rain coming off my workshop roof. I also live in a hardwater area. All I do is tip a watering can or two of rainwater from the but over the car once cleaned, leather or microfibre it off,and it's job done, no streaks or watermarks.

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GAZA62 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:44 pm

:o rainwater i take it this is not for real crikey if i washed my car with rainwater it would be covered in scratches we often get sand in the rain here.

Shiney you gone down the claying route yet that gives the paint an even better slickness very easy to wash the mit just glides over the paint so different to other peoples cars i have washed before a detail like trying to drag the mit across a breeze block

Recomend this QD for after washing leaves a nice glossy wet look http://www.seriousperformance.co.uk/Pro ... w_772.html
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL

wegras

Post by wegras » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:51 pm

I am for the Monza in-line filter ....pricey but good , does the job
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GAZA62 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:59 pm

wegras wrote:I am for the Monza in-line filter ....pricey but good , does the job

How many rinses do you get out of it ?
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL

wegras

Post by wegras » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:07 pm

Starting to change colour at inlet end after about 15 times ....I use at end of process just to spray water over cars and then blow water off with a leaf blower

ps am in soft water area
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

legbuh

Post by legbuh » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:25 pm

I use "The Absorber" synthetic shammy.. have for years. Works great.

I bought a new one last year and noticed it didn't work as good as my old one though. I hope that the quality of them isn't going down. It maybe wasn't broken in or something though.

With the right technique it works flawlessly.

Tried a shamwow and it was sham-sh*t... lol..

eleflo

Post by eleflo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:03 pm

I have a jet black 2.0l and live in a hard water area, I was looking at a filter as it is a pain in the a***se trying to beat water marks but at £60 it seem a lot of money so not sure, has anyone got one??

wrong roof, 2 pots short, stubby, wrong exhaust, no heated seats, but I luuuuv it, Now all gone to a new home

Garvin

Post by Garvin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:11 pm

eleflo wrote:I have a jet black 2.0l and live in a hard water area, I was looking at a filter as it is a pain in the a***se trying to beat water marks but at £60 it seem a lot of money so not sure, has anyone got one??
I use ionic systems in line filters - expensive as you say but well worth it as I also live in a hard water area. Last (large) filter cost ~£100.00 delivered but has lasted about 1 year and has been regulary used on three vehicles so has given at least one wash per week over that period - about half used at the moment. Just need to use it sparingly on the final rinse for a completely spot free finish.
Considering Ordered Received 35is - Melbourne Red / Ivory White with lots of bells & whistles. Deep Sea Blue replacement 35is now also departed. Replaced by something more brash, more powerful and American!

eleflo

Post by eleflo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:51 pm

Thanks, might be worth giving it a try :thumbsup:

wrong roof, 2 pots short, stubby, wrong exhaust, no heated seats, but I luuuuv it, Now all gone to a new home

eleflo

Post by eleflo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:53 pm

by the way where did you get yours?