Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hood Cleaning

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Hood Cleaning

Post by GAZA62 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:46 pm

Well just had ago with the BMW kit and after 3 attempts on the same area of the top the f***ing mildew is still looking back at me laughing :x :x :headbang: :cry: :cry: gave up and went for a drive and now have a burnt head :rofl:

Really dont know what to do now when i first bought the car after a few months of ownership used the AG kit and top was fine six months later used the AG kit again no probs with top apart from the odd little bit of mildew at the base easily removed.

Renovo protection was next popped it on straight over the AG product went on a lot better than AG left no mess and a better finish and seemed to work well all through the winter beading well but come spring time i now have this mildew prob :cry: :cry: which AG or BMW cleaner cannot shift and cannot find nothing on the net about any pro boys that sort hoods as they may have products and equipment that can do a better job :(

T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:22 pm

I had a bit of mildew on the base of my hood too - but wiping it with the sponge which came with my AG kit got rid of it.

Maybe trying a soft horsehair brush to work the mildew out?

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GAZA62 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:29 pm

Tryed the AG cleaner with AG sponge last week no joy.

Have used a soft brush and worked in but still not great it does look very slightly better may be a case of clean let it dry clean again let it dry and keep going like that a section at a time thats if the weather holds as if it rains i have no protection on there hope this will not cause more mildew :(

Heads now getting a bit warm :rofl:

The joy of soft top motoring mildew and sunburn :D
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL

Oakandacorns

Post by Oakandacorns » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:16 pm

GAZA62 - what about using some warm water with the AG and the sponge / soft brush - maybe some warmer water will work on the mildew more??. :?
And oh, I reckon you should get yourself down to Waitrose / Boots and buy some sunscreen :P !! Too late now, but for future sun once your head's peeled :(
Oakandacorns
Former: 2.5 (04), Ellipsoid alloys, Heated seats, RFT, OEM Wind Deflector
Love it

dan yeates

Post by dan yeates » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:12 pm

I've read on here a few people use hot water to "steam" the creases out of the hood. Has anyone used a steam cleaner on the roof? I have a small household Karcher steam cleaner and wondered if it was a good idea to use it on the roof, or whether it might damage it. It's this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/K%C3%A4rcher-15 ... B004ISZDQG

Also, I have the AG roof cleaning kit but I've never used it before. How are you masking up the bodywork to protect it from the cleaner? I have an old bead sheet I can drape over the windscreen, but I'm not sure how I can cover up all the rear body panels. Does it matter if the rinsed product gets in contact with the bodywork when I'm hosing it off?

EDIT: This guy uses a steam cleaner on the roof: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... ?p=2824306 Might give it a go.
ex-BMW Z4 M Roadster in Monaco Blue ** BMW M135i ** Mercedes AMG GT S

domsz4

Post by domsz4 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:33 pm

one of the guys on that detailing world link recomended using a george vacuum which the the wet and dry version of the henry cleaner (i found our henry good for hoovering the roof) so i wondered coud you use a vax type carpet cleaner thing with some of that waterproofing stuff you put your coats in the wash with. then use some sort of outdoor proofing thing like the guy used?

lets face it the autoglym stuff is probably just the same but a bit watered down. (i recon these leather cleaners are probably just saddle soap and you would get something just better and cheaper going to a tack shop)

if you dont want to do the roof yourself maybe one of these hand wash places may do it? the 5star wash in liverpool will do a convertable using the autoglym stuff for about £40
Proud Whip owner ;)

dan yeates

Post by dan yeates » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:22 am

Well, I had a go at the roof.

I managed to clean most of the streaks, mould and mildew, but a lot still remain. I don't know how to get rid of them! I might try the Renovo cleaner and see how that works. Also need to try it with a brush as the sponge wasn't able to get into the roof fibres.

By the way, I did steam the roof prior to washing it, didn't really do much I don't think!
ex-BMW Z4 M Roadster in Monaco Blue ** BMW M135i ** Mercedes AMG GT S

VENDAR

Post by VENDAR » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:38 am

Does anyone know if there is any way to remove the polish effect that appears in the fabric due to wearing down? Recoloring perhaps?

Rob_benton

Post by Rob_benton » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:09 am

I redyed my black roof with Renevo but it didn't hide the fold marks.
2005 Z4 3.0 Black, Zhp gear knob.

VENDAR

Post by VENDAR » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:35 am

Do you have any pics of the redyed roof?

lotus791

Post by lotus791 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:09 pm

I did mine with renovo dye ... May as well peed in the wind ...Looked ok till the first rain hit it ,then dull and faded black again . I'm at the point of doing something silly or replacing .
E85 3.0

Ste

Post by Ste » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:06 pm

The best bet seems to be keeping on top of it, regular cleaning. Where possible I try to give the roof a good seeing too every 2-3 weeks, one time with the Autoglym cabriolet kit alone, the next with renovo too. You might not have it looking perfect in one wash, but keep at it and you'll see regular improvements/maintaining.

With the Autoglym kit, give it a good wash with warm water first, then go to town on the roof with the cleaner and sponge. Focus on a bit at a time, being generous with the spray, and really working it into the fabric, On bits where there's visible mildew/green marks use the edges or corners of the sponge and be a bit more aggresive with it, which will remove surface mildew in itself and get the cleaner into the rest of it. Bits to focus on are the edges by the window, and the bottom as it goes into the car, which usually require some aggresive scrubbing with the AG sponge. Focus on small bits of the roof at a time, which will allow the rest to soak in nicely, and then wash off with a hosepipe. I like to use a clean big car sponge whilst washing off with the hosepipe, to help remove the cleaner, and give it a last clean as you go. Once its clean, dry with a microfibre/drying cloth, and apply the AG protector, dont be afraid to use another microfibre cloth to work the protector into the fabric and make sure you're covering everywhere (by the windows may be hard to spray properly, so spray on a cloth and work into the edges).

As for the renovo stuff, I pour into a small plastic container and paint onto the entire hood with a paintbrush, between the AG cleaner and the protector.

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paulgs1000 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:11 pm

Sounds a pretty impressive regime Ste - nice one - I'll give it a try in the future.

:driving: :thumbsup:
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

VENDAR

Post by VENDAR » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:20 pm

So Ste you have used the Renovo Reviver? Does it cover the "shiny" parts of the hood that appear from time wear? I read an article about combining AG cleaner and Renovo Reviver and it didn't have a good result for the user. How is your experience?

Ste

Post by Ste » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:31 pm

VENDAR wrote:So Ste you have used the Renovo Reviver? Does it cover the "shiny" parts of the hood that appear from time wear? I read an article about combining AG cleaner and Renovo Reviver and it didn't have a good result for the user. How is your experience?
Nope never use the reviver, I use the "Soft top canvas cleaner". Not sure how but I've been pretty lucky in that my hood doesn't seem to have shiny marks/fold marks or whatever. Only problem I suffer from is bad mildew build up round the base if I don't keep on top of it, not sure if thats common or because I live by the sea or what...