Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DIY respray

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
parabolica

DIY respray

Post by parabolica » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:27 pm

Silverstar wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:19 pm
parabolica wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:16 pm Depends where in the country OP is; I couldn’t get quotes under £800 when I was in London.
You were obviously looking in the wrong places. I am from London and not too long ago my mate who is also in London had his bumper resprayed for £250.
Would love to know where; spent 3 months getting dozens of quotes from across the city; most were 4 figures, only a few were high-hundreds. This was for a bumper and front wing blend.

Anyways got a decent price as soon as I moved back north.

Silverstar

DIY respray

Post by Silverstar » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:34 pm

parabolica wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:27 pm
Silverstar wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:19 pm
parabolica wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:16 pm Depends where in the country OP is; I couldn’t get quotes under £800 when I was in London.
You were obviously looking in the wrong places. I am from London and not too long ago my mate who is also in London had his bumper resprayed for £250.
Would love to know where; spent 3 months getting dozens of quotes from across the city; most were 4 figures, only a few were high-hundreds. This was for a bumper and front wing blend.

You must be getting quoted from main dealers. My mate had it done 4 years ago in Perivale by an independent car bodyshop. Up until 2008 I was in the car trade and had to use the services of paint shops on a regular basis and used a couple of shops across NW London and I never paid more than £200 for a bumper respray.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Weston Matt

DIY respray

Post by Weston Matt » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:58 pm

My quote was from a local shop that Bmw use. They have done work for me before through BMW.

I may have sourced a bumper so going to look next week.

Thanks for the replies and help. I may still have a go if a get the replacement bumper as I will have a spare to play with

parabolica

DIY respray

Post by parabolica » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:51 pm

Silverstar wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:34 pm
parabolica wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:27 pm
Silverstar wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:19 pm You were obviously looking in the wrong places. I am from London and not too long ago my mate who is also in London had his bumper resprayed for £250.

You must be getting quoted from main dealers. My mate had it done 4 years ago in Perivale by an independent car bodyshop. Up until 2008 I was in the car trade and had to use the services of paint shops on a regular basis and used a couple of shops across NW London and I never paid more than £200 for a bumper respray.
No they were all quotes from proper body shops, no dealers. There be were a couple of ropey looking outfits I went and saw but they were doing things like painting the cars outside in a dirty yard with other cars parked around about them, so didn’t get quotes there. Most places had proper paint booths and equipment. The cost of the materials wasn’t the issue, it was the cost of labor that accounted for 80% of the cost.

Anyway that’s just my experience; ended up replacing the bumper with an undamaged salvage one and got the wing and sill painted for £500 at the start of spring.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

DIY respray

Post by Ewazix » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:29 pm

I did a wing on an old shed a few years ago, admittedly in white but with rattle cans and believe it or not it was really good! But I spent an age on prep' before and during coats and it was a very easy colour to match and blend. I tried something similar in silver with a half-decent gun and it just would not play ball and looked ridiculous! As 'Dirty' Harry Callaghan said "A man's got to know his limitations" and mine is anything metallic, personally I would shop around and save yourself the heartache.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost