Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Pressure Washer Buggered...?

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Vijay

Post by Vijay » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:27 pm

Hi,

I have a Nilfisk pressure washer. Washing the daily a few weeks back when the pressure suddenly dropped as the wife started using the shower. Not sure why, doesn't usually do this. Anyway, it started to struggle and smell so I immediately switched it off; as I was nearly done anyway, I put the washer away and finished off my rinse using the garden hose.

This afternoon I gave it a go again and it immediately made a funny noise, accompanied by a burning smell. Guessing the motors done for! Anyone know if this can be fixed? Or am I forking out for a new one...?
2007 Z4 3.0Si Coupe, Carbon Black, 53K on clock & counting...
Mineral White M240i

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:45 pm

I would have thought by the time you’ve ordered hopefully the correct part and fitted it you would probably be as well buying a new one, having said that I’ve a karcher pressure washer for probably 20 years and it has been stripped down and repaired several times, nothing major though, and has bits of trim etc missing and held together with duck tape, I keep promising myself a new one but while ever it’s working I’ll stick with it.
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:57 pm

My neighbour was throwing out a karcher they ran it without water on and it was dead, I checked the fuse still dead, then disconnected the lance and attached the hosepipe and left it with water running through it for 15 minutes, back to normal. Karchers have a thermal cut out, wonder how many have been thrown out

Vijay

Post by Vijay » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:14 pm

Hi,
It's not dead, the output is maybe 40%, plus it makes a gurgling/rattling noise, accompanied by the burning smell.
Mineral White M240i

ric19

Post by ric19 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:15 pm

I have a Qualcast one, that started losing pressure so I stripped it down and cleaned and reseated the rubber seals on the 3 pistons and its been ok since.. just be aware that where the swash plate that acts on the piston ends is full of oil so make sure its on its end before removing the bolts

PeteyZ4

Post by PeteyZ4 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:28 pm

Vijay wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:27 pm Anyone know if this can be fixed? Or am I forking out for a new one...?
Most marriages can be fixed with a bit of effort on both sides. My wife left my old Karcher out in the snow and killed it. It was tough but we worked though it.

New wives are expensive so it might be cheaper to just spend that money on a new pressure washer.

Vijay

Post by Vijay » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:52 pm

Not having much joy with this!
Got some new carbon brushes as they were only a tenner. Gave it a good clean and put the new ones in and seemed to work ok for a short while; then it started smoking!
:headbang:
Mineral White M240i

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:55 pm

Just bought a Kranzle automatic unit with 10 year warranty to replace / supplement my 30 year old Karcher which is leaking quite a bit. I will take a look at the Karcher, but the idea of an automatic pressure washer that switches on when you use the trigger was very tempting rather than having to switch it on and off all the time ...

I paid about £200 for the karcher 30 years ago, so has done well. The Kranzle is now £600, but does look to be a great unit.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:03 pm

I have a go at fixing most things but was beaten by my old Karcher, the internals had no adjustment and no service replaceable parts. I'd had a decade's use out of it so the bits went in the bin. RIP Karcher.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost