Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Car washing basics for a numpty!

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
jamesgarbett

Post by jamesgarbett » Sat May 08, 2021 5:46 pm

Assume I am a numpty who has only ever washed a car with a bucket and a sponge and as an occasional special treat used a chammy to dry it

Take me through a simple routine as to how I should be doing it and what equipment do I need?
Z4 ‘13 20i Mineral Grey
Z4 '07 2.5Si Montego Blue

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Sat May 08, 2021 5:48 pm

Youtube is your friend.

Have a look at Ammo NYC :thumbsup:

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Sat May 08, 2021 6:31 pm

+1 for Larry’s Ammo NYC channel.

You can end up going down a rabbit hole though so try and keep things simple.

For me I try and give it a good detail and paint correction once a year. As for normal wash I normally do it maybe twice a month.

I start with rinsing it down and then snow foaming with bilt hamber auto foam and letting it dwell for about 5 minutes and rinsing before it drys up.

Next up I clean the wheels and arch liners with a wheel brush and an older microfibre towel.

Then I jump to a two bucket method wash. I tend to use Meguiars gold class car shampoo. Sometimes I’ll even put the shampoo in the snow foam bottle to make sure the car is well lubed. Wash one panel at a time and rinse the wash mitt (instead of a sponge) after each panel starting from top to bottom, leaving the side skirts and bumpers until last. Try not to wash in circular motions but in straight lines.

Then around all the badges and grills with a detailing brush to clean the dirt out of the hard to reach places to. And rinse again.

Dry off with a drying towel not forgetting to open the doors,boot, bonnet and fuel flap to dry the bits where water will sit.

Once dry go around with a detailing spray to finish.
Now: Z4MC Titan Silver
Gone: E86 3.0Si Sport Titan Silver - M exhaust + bumper - Battery Relocated - Aero Front
E86 3.0Si Sport Silver Grey - Carbon Diffuser - Aero Kit - B/Box Mod - Storm MW V2
E85 2.5 Si Sport Titan Silver

CryptoWhale

Post by CryptoWhale » Sat May 08, 2021 7:13 pm

Here's what I generally do when I give the car a standard clean;

1. Start with the alloys / tyres / arch liner - spray with product and agitate with a brush, jet wash off
2. Spray car with citrus pre-wash, let it stand for a few minutes, agitate awkward areas with a detailing brush, jet wash off
3. Shampoo the car using the two bucket method and a wash mitt, jet wash off - I do this twice sometimes
4. Dry the car with a drying towel
5. Go over the car with a quick detailer (autoglym is great) - apply with microfiber cloth and buff with another one
6. Tyre dressings, apply Rainx to windows, polish exhaust etc