Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Recommendation needed

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Ming

Recommendation needed

Post by Ming » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:17 pm

Hi guys.
I'm not really into the full on detailing scene but I do want a nice finish on my VO Z4.
Currently I pre wash, snow foam, do the wheels with cleaner, rinse off, 2 bucket method with Autoglym shampoo, rinse and dry.

Now, my question is, what should I do next?
I've given it a clay bar treatment about 9 months ago and finished with a wax. Since then, it's just had a clean as detailed above and occasionally polished with Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection.

I'm not using a powered polisher BTW, as I can't be trusted with machinery 😢
I've seen various YT videos showing a decontamination process but it's this I'm a bit unclear about. I've seen products that decontaminate iron particles and something else that removes tar deposits - but do you have to do 2 separate treatments or is there one product to use between the washing and polishing? I have to say the Autoglym polish doesn't seem to make a difference to the shine of the orange so is there a better one suited to this colour?

I spent 20 minutes in Halfirds and came out none the wiser.
I do like to go topless......
....... in my remapped 20i in Valencia Orange with Black Roof :driving:

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Recommendation needed

Post by inkey$ » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:12 pm

I’ve been looking at the same things as you by the sounds of it. I’d like to decontaminate my car of iron and tar deposits before washing, clay baring and polishing before a final wax. These last three stages I only want to do say once a year, but I’m confused as to the best product for decontamination.

I was looking at Meguirs wheel cleaner and others as they seem to work pretty well and are safe for paintwork too, but have drawn a slight blank after that research, since tar seems to need more of a citrus type approach.
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

Ming

Recommendation needed

Post by Ming » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:23 pm

I have a product called Iron X from Jennychem which I bought for the wheels but I see that it's fine for paint as it's pH neutral.
I may try that but need recommendations for a final finish that will shine, protect and not take 3 days to complete the car!
There's just too much choice, even within one manufacturer's range

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Recommendation needed

Post by inkey$ » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:38 pm

If your car is red or orange then I can highly recommend Dodojuice Orange Crush wax to finish things off. It used to make my Imola red Z3M coupe sing for a long time.
https://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/dod ... j4EALw_wcB
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

Ming

Recommendation needed

Post by Ming » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:44 pm

It is metallic Valencia Orange

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Recommendation needed

Post by inkey$ » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:07 pm

Ming wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:44 pm It is metallic Valencia Orange
DDJ Orange Crush would work wonders on that colour.

maxy1606

Recommendation needed

Post by maxy1606 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:54 am

Ming wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:17 pm Now, my question is, what should I do next?
I've given it a clay bar treatment about 9 months ago and finished with a wax. Since then, it's just had a clean as detailed above and occasionally polished with Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection.
Are you polishing as part of your interim washes between waxing? I'm no expert but my understanding is the polishing stage comes after the paint is clean and decontaminated but before applying the final product (wax, ceramic etc.). Not sure on the effectiveness of a polish if the wax hasn't been stripped off beforehand.

I'm don't think Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection is a polish so probably wouldn't make any difference to your VO. I think it's more of a sealant which I understand as being a liquid alternative to a wax.

I'm sure one of the detailing gurus will be along to offer some advice :thumbsup:

Ming

Recommendation needed

Post by Ming » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:13 am

Christ, I'm even more confused now!
I did a deep clean, clay bar and de-iron particle clean, then polish, then wax about 9 months ago. I thought over the time since that the wax would have worn off, but that's based on nothing more than assumption.
I'm going to do the process again, but not sure if I've got to take the wax off first of all.

I've now bought tar remover, Dodo Juice Orange Crush and Lime Lite pre treatment.

All the gear, no idea....

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Recommendation needed

Post by inkey$ » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:07 pm

I think you have enough now, Ming :lol:

After many Youtube videos and for the exterior, I’m thinking....

1. Wash (2 buckets - wheels first)
2. Snow foam (maybe)
3. Wash again (maybe)
4. Decontaminate (clay, tar, iron whatever you have)
5. Clean all glass
6. Polish (I'm planning DA and Meguirs compound polish)
7. Wheel wax (Poorboys Wheel Sealant - this really helps keep them cleaner for longer btw)
8. Wax (Dodo Juice Blue Velvet Wax)
9. Drive and try not to worry about my newly cleaned car getting dirty,

Then just 2 bucket wash for the next 6 months before doing the above again. Possibly wrong to some people but feels right to me.

Ming

Recommendation needed

Post by Ming » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:40 pm

Seems I've got everything apart from the wheel wax. Didn't know such a thing existed. Another trip to Halfords coming up. Just as well there's an offer of MOT's for £1 when you buy something. That's the Z4 and the Yeti taken care of.....

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Recommendation needed

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:41 pm

On my VO I did all the wash, rinse, wash, run around the block, have a beer, wash it again just be sure malarkey.
Then I used a clay mitt with soapy water and cleaned the whole car. Followed by the 15th rinse.
I used Autoglym polish to clear up any minor marks etc, then waxed the car with Farecla G3 Pro Liquid wax which I think has given me a nice finish.
When I wash it now I dry it then go over it with Farecla G3 Rapid Detailer to clear up any water marks. This does improve the shine a little too, but recently I bought a bottle of Farecla G3 (See the theme developing) Spray Wax. This is as easy to use as the rapid detailer, does the same final tidy up job, but has the advantage of adding a little more wax to the coating. Definitely an improvement over the rapid detailer.
I understand there are people who swap and change to find the ultimate waxes etc, and also that there are different choices for different colour cars. I'm also no expert detailer.
For me I feel more comfortable using stuff from the same range, but I doubt mixing products would cause any issues anyway.
The proof, as they say, is in the photo. This is not a good one (taken quickly, just before the rain started!), but hopefully gives an idea:
Attachments
BST clean up.JPG
BST clean up.JPG (225.08 KiB) Viewed 1049 times
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Recommendation needed

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:56 pm

You need to find a little man as that seems like loads of work, I keep my car clean but my god that would have me in traction for a month :rofl:
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Ming

Recommendation needed

Post by Ming » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:06 pm

I was intending to get a spray wax to keep it topped up through the summer, once I've done the initial hard part.
I have plenty of time on my hands so don't see it as a chore TBH, but if I was working full time I'd be less inclined 😁

True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

Recommendation needed

Post by True-Blue » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:03 pm

If you want something quick and easy that you can do every time you wash the car in no time at all - Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer - wash the car and then after rinsing (with the car still wet) spray this on and dry off with a drying towel one panel at a time.

Easy, very glossy and fabulous water behaviour. Can’t think of an easier, low effort for maximum results, product.
Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i

Ming

Recommendation needed

Post by Ming » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:25 pm

Thanks for the tip. I have loads of microfiber cloths but are they any different to a specific "drying towel"?