Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Should you always clay?

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Brouse

Should you always clay?

Post by Brouse » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:39 pm

Im gearing up for a post-winter spruce up and whilst washing the car earlier I was thinking "hey this paint looks pretty decent know I think about it"

I ran my hand in a nitrile glove over a few places and it was still super smooth, that said it is a tiny bit grabby' when drying using a top up wax/detailer spray.

Last detail was June last year, so my question is should you always clay regardless or use your judgement? Just curious.
2006 Sapphire Black E86

SiJar

Should you always clay?

Post by SiJar » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:41 pm

I normally clay about every 6 months.
Z4///MC

BTM1988

Should you always clay?

Post by BTM1988 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:25 pm

Use judgement. Clay is a harsh abbrasive in that what you're removing from the paint still ever so slightly gets driven back into the paint again. So should mean machine polishing afterwards If you feel that the paint is rough, then use it. If still smooth then don't. Try and remove tar spots with tar and glue remover before going at it with clay.

Confused®

Should you always clay?

Post by Confused® » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:28 pm

I use these a couple of times a year, does a great job and much faster than a clay bar.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clay-Mitt-Ha ... %3A2334524

Brouse

Should you always clay?

Post by Brouse » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:15 pm

Cheers for the advice folks
2006 Sapphire Black E86

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Should you always clay?

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:20 pm

If you always clay, then you will have to always apply all the polishes and waxes again.
I have found that I can feel small areas that may need an interim clay. Mostly this seems to be behind the wheels, which I guess is due to small particles of brake pad residue?
So I just address those small areas: using a clay mitt which is much easier I find; then give it a really thorough going over once a year or so.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Should you always clay?

Post by ph001 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:17 pm

On my monaco blue, I've always found that claying leaves horrendous marks that must be polished out afterwards. This was never the case on my silver grey M3 so the colour of your car must play a big part. Maybe I just need to use a softer compound but I've always found that something like panel wipe does just a good a job at removing contaminants and you don't need a 4hr polishing session afterwards!
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Should you always clay?

Post by inkey$ » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:14 pm

ph001 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:17 pm On my monaco blue, I've always found that claying leaves horrendous marks that must be polished out afterwards. This was never the case on my silver grey M3 so the colour of your car must play a big part. Maybe I just need to use a softer compound but I've always found that something like panel wipe does just a good a job at removing contaminants and you don't need a 4hr polishing session afterwards!
Glad I read this as I was planning a clay session on my Monaco Blue coupe soon! Which panel wipes would you recommend?
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Should you always clay?

Post by ph001 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:32 pm

I use the gtechniq stuff but other brands probably just as good.... https://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/produc ... panel-wipe

Of course it will take all your waxes and sealants off too so important to reprotect afterwards.

I’m trying not to be too negative about claying as there are many advocates of it in here. Just that for me it’s always been more hassle than it’s worth on my colour car. I was actually quite a fan of it on my M3.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Should you always clay?

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:24 pm

ph001 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:32 pm I use the gtechniq stuff but other brands probably just as good.... https://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/produc ... panel-wipe

Of course it will take all your waxes and sealants off too so important to reprotect afterwards.

I’m trying not to be too negative about claying as there are many advocates of it in here. Just that for me it’s always been more hassle than it’s worth on my colour car. I was actually quite a fan of it on my M3.
For the record, clay mitts work perfectly well on Sterling Grey, Valencia Orange, Melbourne Red (335d) and Misano Blue (120d), so far............

.............apart from the day I tripped over the bucket, put my hand out to steady myself and had to spend 20 minutes removing the streak of clay from the wing of the 335d. :roll:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: