Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Piano Black dash scratch

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Rafes Dad

Piano Black dash scratch

Post by Rafes Dad » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:29 pm

I have a scratch on my piano black dash, it's not too deep but it won't polish out with a bit of T-Cut.

I'm considering sanding it out, going from about 400 grit through various finer grades to 2400 and finishing with a polish.

Has anybody tried this? I'm concerned that the Piano black finish is ultra thin and I'll just expose an underlayer fairly quickly.

Thanks all.

Allan280

Piano Black dash scratch

Post by Allan280 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:12 pm

Try Magiures ultimate compound not T cut worked on mine. Always depends on depth of the scratch

Allan 280

Z4C_er

Piano Black dash scratch

Post by Z4C_er » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:21 pm

Rafes Dad wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:29 pm I have a scratch on my piano black dash, it's not too deep but it won't polish out with a bit of T-Cut.

I'm considering sanding it out, going from about 400 grit through various finer grades to 2400 and finishing with a polish.

Has anybody tried this? I'm concerned that the Piano black finish is ultra thin and I'll just expose an underlayer fairly quickly.

Thanks all.
I believe the rule is that if you can't see it when you wet it, then it can be polished out, but if you can pick at it with your fingernail, then it's too deep for polishing.
Regards sandpaper, I would defo be approaching it with as finer paper as can be then get heavier if required. I'd start with at least 1200 grit - wet.
But, coming back to Allan's post, perhaps try with the UC first. It seems to be a bit of a miracle product.
Lastly, I'm not sure if the OE piano black is clear coated or not.
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

Rafes Dad

Piano Black dash scratch

Post by Rafes Dad » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:01 pm

Z4C_er wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:21 pm
Rafes Dad wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:29 pm I have a scratch on my piano black dash, it's not too deep but it won't polish out with a bit of T-Cut.

Thanks all.
I believe the rule is that if you can't see it when you wet it, then it can be polished out, but if you can pick at it with your fingernail, then it's too deep for polishing.
Regards sandpaper, I would defo be approaching it with as finer paper as can be then get heavier if required. I'd start with at least 1200 grit - wet.
But, coming back to Allan's post, perhaps try with the UC first. It seems to be a bit of a miracle product.
Lastly, I'm not sure if the OE piano black is clear coated or not.
Thanks for the tips, definitly going to favour caution because the last thing I want to do is make it worse.
I'll try the maguires UC as recommended. thanks

BabyTiger

Piano Black dash scratch

Post by BabyTiger » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:31 pm

Worst case if you burn though, just take the haze off and re-apply a good lacquer and polish again.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Piano Black dash scratch

Post by ph001 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:29 am

It is lacquered but it’s way softer then the clear coat on the external paint. I have piano black too and got mine looking like new just with light pressure with megs uc and a soft 3” pad on a da polisher. You need to keep the speed quite low.

I think any kind of wet sanding would be far too aggressive imho.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.