Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Trim treatment

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
GJ1

Trim treatment

Post by GJ1 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:52 pm

Hello,

What are people currently using to treat the black exterior trims e.g. wing mirror triangles, lower grille, etc?

I've seen some references to gtechniq, is it the C4 one? Any other recommendations? Ideally looking for something that lasts a while (if there are any).

Can you/should you use these products on the rubber or are there different products to use for them?

Thanks
07 Z4C 3.0si sport sapphire black

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Trim treatment

Post by Smartbear » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:58 pm

Turtle wax tyre dressing, it’s superb :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Trim treatment

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:08 pm

I used Gtechniq C4 on the door mirror triangles on my previous E86 and it worked really well. But it isn't cheap!

I would have tried the Turtle Wax but at the time I couldn't find any.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Trim treatment

Post by flimper » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:53 pm

I'd be wary of Gtechniq C4. I bought it, used it once, put it away and when I came to use it again it had crystallised and I had to bin it. Very expensive :thumbsdown:
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

GJ1

Trim treatment

Post by GJ1 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:06 pm

Smartbear wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:58 pm Turtle wax tyre dressing, it’s superb :thumbsup:
Rob
Thanks, this one?
https://www.toolstation.com/turtle-wax- ... gK3avD_BwE

I've seen back to black mentioned as well but not sure what brand.
Any other recommendations out there before I pay a visit to toolstation!
07 Z4C 3.0si sport sapphire black

mgrlane

Trim treatment

Post by mgrlane » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:09 pm

flimper wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:53 pm I'd be wary of Gtechniq C4. I bought it, used it once, put it away and when I came to use it again it had crystallised and I had to bin it. Very expensive :thumbsdown:
I have been looking into this today. From the looks of it you can use it on the rubber on the windows too. It lasts for around 2 years rather than 4/5 washes like some other stuff. Has nothing but great reviews on the detailing forums but you are looking at 20-22 quid for it.

You are supposed to use it within 3 months of opening- perhaps that's why it crystallised?

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Trim treatment

Post by flimper » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:26 pm

Didn't know about the 3 months, that would explain it. Only suitable if you attend to your trim each month then I suppose
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

mgrlane

Trim treatment

Post by mgrlane » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:43 am

flimper wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:26 pm Didn't know about the 3 months, that would explain it. Only suitable if you attend to your trim each month then I suppose
Which I doubt you will ever do if it's lasts for circa 24.

It's a one hit wonder for 20 quid. I guess you do your car, the Mrs car and then crack on with some of the plastics in the engine bar to use the rest of it up.

It's on my list but I need to purchase 51317017021 (the windscreen surround ) 1st as it will stand out like an eyesore with everything else restored.

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Trim treatment

Post by flimper » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:11 am

Yes, I for one will not buy it again, I wasn't overly impressed and certainly didn't last as long as they state. Be interested to know how much the windscreen scuttle costs and how easy it is to fit as mine seen better days

mgrlane

Trim treatment

Post by mgrlane » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:34 am

flimper wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:11 am Yes, I for one will not buy it again, I wasn't overly impressed and certainly didn't last as long as they state. Be interested to know how much the windscreen scuttle costs and how easy it is to fit as mine seen better days
That's a shame- I thought it was the answer to all my prayers (I was debating C4 or slowly replacing the plastic).

£30-40 quid depending on who you go with. I would buy OEM for the sake of a fiver or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh2R0wm ... ouchGarage

Doesn't look to hard of a job.

Silverstar

Trim treatment

Post by Silverstar » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:40 am

flimper wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:11 am Yes, I for one will not buy it again, I wasn't overly impressed and certainly didn't last as long as they state. Be interested to know how much the windscreen scuttle costs and how easy it is to fit as mine seen better days
Maybe the surface wasn't prepped properly before applying thereby not allowing good adhesion? I know detailers say to use something to wipe the panels down (IPA I think) before applying the Gtecnics stuff.

Another longer lasting trim rejuvenator with a good reputation is Gyeon Trim, again not cheap but supposed to last a long time if applied correctly. Most normal trim dressing only last a few weeks or days even.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

mgrlane

Trim treatment

Post by mgrlane » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:50 am

Sorry wrong part.

Windscreen Scuttle or as BMW call it "Cover Windshield" item 51717043619 is.... wait for it... circa £155....

I changed one on my old 182 about 5 years ago and slipped and cracked my windscreen. Expensive day that when I had no windscreen cover on my insurance... Bit of a ball ache getting the window wipers apart to be able to fit the new part.

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Trim treatment

Post by flimper » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:37 am

mgrlane wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:50 am
Sorry wrong part.

Windscreen Scuttle or as BMW call it "Cover Windshield" item 51717043619 is.... wait for it... circa £155....

I changed one on my old 182 about 5 years ago and slipped and cracked my windscreen. Expensive day that when I had no windscreen cover on my insurance... Bit of a ball ache getting the window wipers apart to be able to fit the new part.
Thought it might be that high, only slight cosmetic damage so will probably leave

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Trim treatment

Post by flimper » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:38 am

Silverstar wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:40 am
Maybe the surface wasn't prepped properly before applying thereby not allowing good adhesion? I know detailers say to use something to wipe the panels down (IPA I think) before applying the Gtecnics stuff.

Another longer lasting trim rejuvenator with a good reputation is Gyeon Trim, again not cheap but supposed to last a long time if applied correctly. Most normal trim dressing only last a few weeks or days even.
Very possibly, I know the trim was spotlessly clean but I didn't go as far as IPA

beanie

Trim treatment

Post by beanie » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:26 am

I use 303 aerospace protectant on the exterior trim as it’s supposed to have good UV resistance. I’m not sure it’s a trim rejuvenator as such, but it does darken the plastics and should offer some protection against the elements.
RUBYIMOLACARBON