Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Leather care

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
GJ1

Leather care

Post by GJ1 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:41 pm

Looking for advice on whether to use Autoglym Leather Cleaner & Leather Care Balm or Dodo Juice Leather Cleaner & Sealant.
I intend to use it on 2007 black merino leather seats if that makes a difference.

Daft question number one, do people use it on the gaiter, steering wheel and door cards too?
Daft question number two, what type of clothes/appliers do people use to clean and then treat the leather, any better than others?

Thanks
07 Z4C 3.0si sport sapphire black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Leather care

Post by buzyg » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:25 am

Yes and yes. :thumbsup:

Good stuff and I use it on all the leather bits? Though I clean using Johnson baby wipes then use Autoglym leather care wipes.

Stevo1987

Leather care

Post by Stevo1987 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:44 am

I don't think you need leather care balm. It just sits on the surface and doesn't do anything. Here is a good article about leather car seats.... https://canadiangearhead.com/the-best-l ... -your-car/
2014 Z4 e89 35is in mineral grey.
2012 Audi TTS in Ibis white.

GJ1

Leather care

Post by GJ1 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:04 pm

buzyg wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:25 am Though I clean using Johnson baby wipes then use Autoglym leather care wipes.
I think I might need to use something more than wipes the first time but may revert to this in future

GJ1

Leather care

Post by GJ1 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:07 pm

Stevo1987 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:44 am I don't think you need leather care balm. It just sits on the surface and doesn't do anything.
I think I read somewhere else someone say that but I was thinking surely it would benefit from some form of nourishment.
But now thinking about it, I guess the Dodo Juice sealant is exactly providing any nourishment but simply acting as a protective barrier.

DMike

Leather care

Post by DMike » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:04 pm

My cleaning routine includes vacuuming (especially the seams) at every wash, then usually only APC wipe with MF. BMW leather care balm once a month. For winter hibernation usually a deeper cleaning with BMW’s leather cleaning foam and then I really soak the leather with the balm, MF after half an hour to get the surface matt again. After the deep clean plus balm the leather feels really soft and nice.
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

scootr

Leather care

Post by scootr » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:56 pm

Leather does need replenishment of natural oils... Leather New is one such product.
My wife has taken to using alcohol wipes on the steering wheel :cry: I follow with Leather new :wink:
E89 3.0L 6 MT gone
Michelin P4s
Bilstein struts & shocks
Luxon tower brace

Stevo1987

Leather care

Post by Stevo1987 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:59 pm

scootr wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:56 pm Leather does need replenishment of natural oils... Leather New is one such product
Some say..... the leather has a coating so anything you put on it cannot penetrate the coating to get to the leather.
2014 Z4 e89 35is in mineral grey.
2012 Audi TTS in Ibis white.

scootr

Leather care

Post by scootr » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:00 pm

Some could be right but, I'll continue until proven wrong
E89 3.0L 6 MT gone
Michelin P4s
Bilstein struts & shocks
Luxon tower brace

DMike

Leather care

Post by DMike » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:57 pm

Stevo1987 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:59 pm
scootr wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:56 pm Leather does need replenishment of natural oils... Leather New is one such product
Some say..... the leather has a coating so anything you put on it cannot penetrate the coating to get to the leather.
From what I have read, Dakota leather has artificial grain and a synthetic coating, Merino is dyed (as any leather) but does not have the synthetic coating. Nappa is supposedly close to Merino, but there is variable information regarding the coating.
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Leather care

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:02 am

DMike wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:57 pm
Stevo1987 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:59 pm
From what I have read, Dakota leather has artificial grain and a synthetic coating, Merino is dyed (as any leather) but does not have the synthetic coating. Nappa is supposedly close to Merino, but there is variable information regarding the coating.
I'd go with that thought too.
My old 335d and the new 120d both have the grained leather and any balms just sit there looking sticky until you buff it all off again.
But the smooth leather on the sides of the seats on my E89 soak up the balm nicely and definitely seem to benefit from it.
Steering wheels all seem to absorb it ok.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Leather care

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:54 am

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:02 am But the smooth leather on the sides of the seats on my E89 soak up the balm nicely and definitely seem to benefit from it
I wondered about that in my new one. The leather seems a totally different texture to the stuff in the 23i. It feels softer and more “natural” I’ll give it a try :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

enuff_zed
    Lifer
    Lifer

Leather care

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:15 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:54 am
    enuff_zed wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:02 am But the smooth leather on the sides of the seats on my E89 soak up the balm nicely and definitely seem to benefit from it
    I wondered about that in my new one. The leather seems a totally different texture to the stuff in the 23i. It feels softer and more “natural” I’ll give it a try :thumbsup:
    I think you have the same seats as mine, with the leather outers, alcantara type middle and the orange stripe?
    So hopefully it should work ok on yours too.
    Be warned though, that the smoothness of the leather means the balm has a tendency to slip straight over the top (if that makes sense?), so you need to work it in a little.
    The warmer the seats the better it seems to work on mine.
    Get an even covering or you'll see smears that take a bit of rubbing to eradicate.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Leather care

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:19 am

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:15 am
    Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:54 am
    I think you have the same seats as mine, with the leather outers, alcantara type middle and the orange stripe?
    Be warned though, that the smoothness of the leather means the balm has a tendency to slip straight over the top (if that makes sense?), so you need to work it in a little.
    Get an even covering or you'll see smears that take a bit of rubbing to eradicate.
    Yes, they are the same seats. I’ll give it a try and make sure I work it in properly.

I’ll need to put the heaters and heated seats on first to try and raise the temperature as I don’t see warm appearing again in Argyll for the rest of the year now. We’ve had to defrost the cars a few times already :rofl:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

enuff_zed
      Lifer
      Lifer

Leather care

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:35 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:19 am
      enuff_zed wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:15 am
      Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:54 am I wondered about that in my new one. The leather seems a totally different texture to the stuff in the 23i. It feels softer and more “natural” I’ll give it a try :thumbsup:
      Yes, they are the same seats. I’ll give it a try and make sure I work it in properly.

I’ll need to put the heaters and heated seats on first to try and raise the temperature as I don’t see warm appearing again in Argyll for the rest of the year now. We’ve had to defrost the cars a few times already :rofl:
      Ah well, in that case just apply the balm in slices :rofl: