Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Clay bar.

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Sgr74

Clay bar.

Post by Sgr74 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:04 pm

I’ve never used a clay bar. Is a clay bar just a clay bar or is there a good kind and a not so good kind?
Black 2.5 Roadie.

DMike

Clay bar.

Post by DMike » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:34 pm

Hi Sgr74,
They are different, some harder and some softer. I prefer a soft one, Meguiars. They can cause some minor marring which mostly is easy to polish away.
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

IRD

Clay bar.

Post by IRD » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:48 pm

If you look up clay bar reviews on the web at AutoExpress there is a lot of helpful information about the tests they have done and resulting recommendations.

AnilS

Clay bar.

Post by AnilS » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:57 pm

I now prefer a clay mitt. Halfords sell the Farcela one. Easier and faster to use, plus 90% as effective as a clay bar.
E86 Si Auto Coupe in Ruby Black.

Stotts

Clay bar.

Post by Stotts » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:08 pm

Anils comments are spot on for me. The mit is excellent. However after you’ve used a mit you may see more marring in your paint. That’s because you can see more now the paint is clean but also because you cannot help but slightly scratch the paint when one is claying the body.
E86 3.0 M-Sport with lots of twiddly bits causing a decreasing bank account and my wife’s Audi A4 cabriolet to have extra work done so she keeps up.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Clay bar.

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:25 pm

Stotts wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:08 pm Anils comments are spot on for me. The mit is excellent. However after you’ve used a mit you may see more marring in your paint. That’s because you can see more now the paint is clean but also because you cannot help but slightly scratch the paint when one is claying the body.
Really?
I used the Farecla mitt and had perfect results. No marring, no scratching. I don't agree with 'cannot help but slightly scratch the paint'; I took appropriate care, used plenty of soapy water and narry a scratch in sight.
I admit I have never used a clay bar, but given the ease of use of the mitt, and the results I achieved, I don't think I'll bother.

As an aside, I've bought a new clay mitt now as the old one is a tad worn, but I kept it and use it to clean the windscreen. works a treat.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Stevo1987

Clay bar.

Post by Stevo1987 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:59 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:25 pm
Stotts wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:08 pm Anils comments are spot on for me. The mit is excellent. However after you’ve used a mit you may see more marring in your paint. That’s because you can see more now the paint is clean but also because you cannot help but slightly scratch the paint when one is claying the body.
I have the same but they don'y
Really?
I used the Farecla mitt and had perfect results. No marring, no scratching. I don't agree with 'cannot help but slightly scratch the paint'; I took appropriate care, used plenty of soapy water and narry a scratch in sight.
I admit I have never used a clay bar, but given the ease of use of the mitt, and the results I achieved, I don't think I'll bother.

As an aside, I've bought a new clay mitt now as the old one is a tad worn, but I kept it and use it to clean the windscreen. works a treat.
I have the same but they don't seem to last long in my hands. The surface of the mitt goes sticky which leaves a residue on the paintwork which is hard to remove. Up to then I thought it was a good product but now I am not so sure.
2014 Z4 e89 35is in mineral grey.
2012 Audi TTS in Ibis white.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Clay bar.

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:35 am

Stevo1987 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:59 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:25 pm
I have the same but they don'y
Really?

I have the same but they don't seem to last long in my hands. The surface of the mitt goes sticky which leaves a residue on the paintwork which is hard to remove. Up to then I thought it was a good product but now I am not so sure.
Never had that issue tbh. Wash the car first then use the clay mitt with plenty of clean soapy water. I do several light passes rather than try to clean everything off with one rub. The first mitt did 5 cars, none of which had ever been done before. That mitt is still in use for windscreen cleaning.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: