Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Multiple Questions - Technique and process

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
yyz_bobby

Post by yyz_bobby » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:28 pm

Hi all
with the amount of free time I decided to learn more on the detailing side.

I have completed two detailing sessions over 3 months.

I bought a Tacklife DA from amazon and then trialled and error'ed some products.

Product List in order of me using them:

(1) Autoglym polar blast used with snow lance
- left to sit for 10 minutes, usually another layer if i got some left in the lance container

(2) Autoglym shampoo
- two bucket method with a noodle mitt thing

(3) G3 Clay mitt with g3 detailing spray
- the first time i used it I did this after drying the car but second time did it while car was still wet and using the detailing spray

NOW on to the finishing which is where I have real confusion

(4) Meguiars ultimate compound
- i only bought this to remove by hand some renova black dye splash from paint without causing damage
- not really considering using this as I heard is abrasive to the clear coat. Unless you guys can give some reason why I should use it.

(5) Autoglym ultra deep shine polish
- i use this with the wool pad that came with the polisher, I did start by using the orange pad but the DA seemed to have a mind of its own and jump about. So switched to the wool pad.

(6) Turtle Wax Ice Seal n Shine
- I thought the wax would be a DA thing so started using this by over spraying on panels and the orange DA pad but again the DA did not seem to sit so i went by hand.

NOW (6) worked well but did not seem to last after 2 weeks. The beading was still there but just not as apparent. After two weeks it had rained some and I went ahead and decided to wash the car again.

This time I repeated (1), (2) but this time followed by:

(7) Poorboys blackhole glaze

Result was great but after reading some more on this thread it was confirmed Poorboys is just for show and not longevity.

I have since bought (8) Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax

BUT I am wondering what should be done before this apart from (1) and (2) and with the aim being to reduce as much of the swirls and fine scratches but also applying a sealant that lasts longer than one month?

Before using (8) should I again apply polish?
For the DA tool what pads are best for polishing? (Since been advised wax should be done by hand)

Any advice appreciated. Hoping after this and next weeks rain I get a full day to re-visit the detailing methods.

Thanks
Bobby

yyz_bobby

Post by yyz_bobby » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:32 pm

Forgot to add alloys treatment.

I use EZ Iron Reign as advised and EZ Alloy Sealant.

Can Meguairs Hybrid Ceramix Wax be used as additional coating for alloys at all?

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:33 pm

Gosh, a real mish-mash of products there! You need to go back to basics. Really all you need to do is:

Full clean using shampoo / foam etc

Clay if necessary (I’d suggest not if already done recently as it always marrs the paintwork in my experience)

Fully dry vehicle.

Apply megs ult compound on an orange hex logic foam pad. No more than 3 pea size blobs. Dab onto paintwork and spread on lowest speed.

Ramp up speed to 75% and apply firm pressure (watch videos on youtube). Do small sections at a time and wipe off residue with quality soft microfibre.

The whole car should take you 5-7hrs min. Your swirl marks should now be gone.

At this point put your DA away.

Apply poorboys black hole and buff off by hand.

Apply megs hybrid ceramic wax and buff off by hand.

Do your alloys as you stated. Don’t forget the tyre dressing.

Sit back and admire your handywork.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

SofTop

Post by SofTop » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:46 am

Hi yyz_bobby, you'll get loads of info and tips from 'foresnsic detailing' youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_4lRo ... g/featured
Z4 3.0 si

yyz_bobby

Post by yyz_bobby » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:35 pm

ph001 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:33 pm Gosh, a real mish-mash of products there! You need to go back to basics. Really all you need to do is:

Clay if necessary (I’d suggest not if already done recently as it always marrs the paintwork in my experience)

Fully dry vehicle.

Apply megs ult compound on an orange hex logic foam pad. No more than 3 pea size blobs. Dab onto paintwork and spread on lowest speed.

Ramp up speed to 75% and apply firm pressure (watch videos on youtube). Do small sections at a time and wipe off residue with quality soft microfibre.

top advice - will save it now for a dry day, possibly tomorrow.

Why the compound over the polish?

Does the pad have to be a hex foam pad? Mine is just a flat/no pattern version.

yyz_bobby

Post by yyz_bobby » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:36 pm

SofTop wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:46 am Hi yyz_bobby, you'll get loads of info and tips from 'foresnsic detailing' youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_4lRo ... g/featured
cheers mate will take a peak

yyz_bobby

Post by yyz_bobby » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:46 pm

ph001 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:33 pm Gosh, a real mish-mash of products there! You need to go back to basics. Really all you need to do is:

Fully dry vehicle.

sorry another question

looking at the youtubes of the ceramic wax it does not seem to have as good hydrophobic properties as the turtle wax

could these two be layered on top of each other at all or is that a stupid idea?
Was also thinking to get bilt haber double speed wax as its super hydrophobic as a layer on top of the ceramic wax or under. not sure what works

Jfgoldfish

Post by Jfgoldfish » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:24 pm

yyz_bobby wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:28 pm not really considering using this as I heard is abrasive to the clear coat. Unless you guys can give some reason why I should use it.
Hi Bobby,

-If you want to remove the swirls from your paintwork, something mildly abrasive like the megs compound will be required.
Unfortunately there is no way of actually removing scratches and swirls without removing some of the clear coat.

-Finishing off with a polish will give you a deeper gloss. This process is removing an even thiner layer of clear coat.

-As ph001 pointed out; only clay if necessary, it WILL inflict minor damage to the clear coat that will then need to be either polished or compounded out depending on the severity. It is a process that should only really be repeated once a year at the most, longer if possible.

-The megs ceramic wax is probably the product (that you have) that will be providing the most protection for your paint. I would apply this first after your paint correction stages. After that layer has cured you could layer a glaze or traditional wax on top to enhance that deep shine and prolong the protection of the ceramic wax.
I personally use megs M21 synthetic sealant and it seems to provide a good, long lasting protection. I have heard that the ceramic wax essentially performs very similarly to the M21 but is a little more fussy about how it is applied. Both good products if used correctly.

^ These are just my thoughts. I am only a weekend amateur when it comes to detailing so please don't take my words as gospel! :wink:
I am sure you will find a process that works well for you. The results can be very satisfying.

Best of luck and don't forget to post pics when the machine is all shiny!
2006 Z4 2.0i Ruby Black

yyz_bobby

Post by yyz_bobby » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:32 pm

Jfgoldfish wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:24 pm Unfortunately there is no way of actually removing scratches and swirls without removing some of the clear coat.

-Finishing off with a polish will give you a deeper gloss. This process is removing an even thiner layer of clear coat.

-As ph001 pointed out; only clay if necessary, it WILL inflict minor damage to the clear coat that will then need to be either polished or compounded out depending on the severity. It is a process that should only really be repeated once a year at the most, longer if possible.

-The megs ceramic wax is probably the product (that you have) that will be providing the most protection for your paint. I would apply this first after your paint correction stages. After that layer has cured you could layer a glaze or traditional wax on top to enhance that deep shine and prolong the protection of the ceramic wax.
I personally use megs M21 synthetic sealant and it seems to provide a good, long lasting protection. I have heard that the ceramic wax essentially performs very similarly to the M21 but is a little more fussy about how it is applied. Both good products if used correctly.
Thanks for the advice, although I am still getting conflicting opinions on whether to apply a gloss/wax before or after the ceramic wax.

I already had some ultimate compound so I will use that knowing its abrasive but hopefully its a once in a blue moon application and long as i keep the sealant topped up it will protect more in future.

yyz_bobby

Post by yyz_bobby » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:36 pm

i did watch a youtube on the ceramic wax product and asked the process. this was what they said.
Attachments
2020-06-20_12-35-32.jpg
2020-06-20_12-35-32.jpg (44.61 KiB) Viewed 1289 times

Jfgoldfish

Post by Jfgoldfish » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:39 pm

yyz_bobby wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:32 pm Thanks for the advice, although I am still getting conflicting opinions on whether to apply a gloss/wax before or after the ceramic wax.
My personal opinion is that if you put a glaze down before your sealant, the sealant might not stick as well to the paint. I have always put the product with the most longevity down first and then followed up with glaze or wax for appearance.
When it comes to detailing you will get so many conflicting answers. A bit of trail and error should find you the best method.
yyz_bobby wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:32 pm already had some ultimate compound so I will use that knowing its abrasive but hopefully its a once in a blue moon application and long as i keep the sealant topped up it will protect more in future.
That sounds like a good plan. Shouldn't need to repeat this step if you are careful with your washing.
2006 Z4 2.0i Ruby Black

Jfgoldfish

Post by Jfgoldfish » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:44 pm

yyz_bobby wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:36 pm i did watch a youtube on the ceramic wax product and asked the process. this was what they said.
I know the whole Megs product line is designed to work well together as a detailing ecosystem, its one of their big selling points AFAIK.
If you were putting ceramic wax over the top of one of their products I would be inclined to say it would work just fine.
It might work well over the poorboys or turtle wax but it also might wash away faster. You might have to try both ways to really understand what will deliver the best protection and appearance.

When it comes to the final protection, experimenting with a few different products is a good idea. You will find one (or a combination) that you like.
2006 Z4 2.0i Ruby Black

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:53 pm

If you look at the instructions on your black hole bottle it will tell you to apply it before waxes and sealants. I would go:

Ultimate Compound (DA) > black hole (hand) > ceramic wax (Hand)

I think applying the other products will have limited return. You can certainly apply more than one coat of the bh and ceramic wax if the mood takes you.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.