Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help picking a sealant / final stage product

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:48 pm

The diy off the shelf ceramic coatings are usually a complete waste of time and money imho. Even the expensive ones like Gtechniq.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

idej_z4

Post by idej_z4 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:20 pm

z4pilot wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:21 pm
idej_z4 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:04 am If you want warm gloss go wax, if you want protection go ceramic coating. As Mr W said, loads to choose from, all about personal preference.

I'm in the ceramic coating and Carbon Collective camp. You get the gloss and protection, just not the warmth a wax brings.
So can you layer with ceramic products? I've just about got my routine sorted around DA polish, seal, wax and then top up periodically with detailer (Sonax being what's on the shelf at the moment) - but what if your sealant is a ceramic based product? Do you/can you/should you still wax on top? If you go ceramic sealant, should anything you layer on top be ceramic also? I'm not talking a 'permanent' professional ceramic coating here, just the off the shelf stuff the hobbyist can work with.
It all depends on the ceramic you use Shaun and what desired finish you're looking for.

An off the shelf ceramic spray, such as Meguiars, will last around 2-3 months depending on the number of washes (I've used this stuff on my daily prior to a full detail so have tested it's durability). A GYEON or Carbon Collective £50 job (still in the hobbyists realm I think) will form a barrier that last 2 years minimum. It hardens the paint and forms a semi permenant barrier. A wax, such as the one Mr W uses, lasts around up to 6 months in my experience. That is the one I used prior to using ceramic coatings.

Waxes tend to give a warmer glow and ceramics a mirror finish. There are different types of waxes designed to do different things though. Zymol wax that I've used in the past is all about getting that extra 10% show shine and the warm glow you only get from a wax but offers little in terms of protection (Clean Your Car recommended this to me). For that reason, I add it over the top of my ceramic coating and use it from time to time to get the desired finish. I don't worry about the protection side of things because the ceramic coating does that (and probably lasts longer that the stated 2 years on the label on mine with it being garaged and under cover).

I've seen videos that advises using a ceramic spray (the off the shelf type stuff) between full details to keep it topped up but have never needed to due to applying the semi permenant stuff. If you are using the off the shelf spray type stuff as your main sealant, expect to be topping it up more regularly that with a full ceramic or proper wax.

I never use the quick detailers anymore as the shine is achieved during polishing. The quality of the shine is dependant on time and stages (cut, refine, enhance) of the polish. After that, if you've sealed it properly you're only applying a water based polish on top of your sealant...youre not actually hitting the paint, and I've found just a good buff with a dry microfibre after washing and drying is enough to get the sealant popping again.

There are some really exciting new products coming out offering ceramic protection, like the Mequiars, which claims to be a wax as well (personally wasnt impressed with it though) - the one I'm most interested to try is the new Auto Finesse Snow Foam Ceramic Coating. You wash the car as normal, probably with a citrus snow foam pre wash as well, then, when it's still wet, apply the ceramic snow foam to finish and just wash off! Reckon this will get greater coverage compared to the sprays, but again, think it will only last 2-3 months. Also Carbon Collective have just brought out a 5 year protection ceramic coating that has self healing properties! I've seen a video of it actually working! Doenst appeal to me though as it means I would only get to get my polisher out every 5 years. :wink:

I'm not sure with this rambling I've even answered your question!! Great thing about this stuff is it so subjective and my thoughts are only what I've learnt from watching countless videos and about 6-7 major details.

I'm sure some actual professional detailer will be along to tell me I'm talking utter b****cks. :D

Looking forward to the finished pics Shaun! Hopefully get to see you out on a run when this sh1t storm is over (so 18 months from now then). :P

bearded_ed

Post by bearded_ed » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:56 pm

Love the discussion here! Going to post a more detailed story tomorrow about everything I have done. But for now... The finished Zed. Sorta! Still gotta go tidy up all the little bits of edging and rubber.
Attachments
IMG_20200421_175613.jpg
IMG_20200421_175613.jpg (187.21 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
Current E82 125i M Sport :driving:
SOLD :( 04 Sterling Grey E85 3.0i Manual.

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:03 pm

No, no that picture will not do. Either upload some serious detailing images or not at all... :poke:

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Sat May 23, 2020 11:28 am

z4pilot wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:21 pm
idej_z4 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:04 am If you want warm gloss go wax, if you want protection go ceramic coating. As Mr W said, loads to choose from, all about personal preference.

I'm in the ceramic coating and Carbon Collective camp. You get the gloss and protection, just not the warmth a wax brings.
So can you layer with ceramic products? I've just about got my routine sorted around DA polish, seal, wax and then top up periodically with detailer (Sonax being what's on the shelf at the moment) - but what if your sealant is a ceramic based product? Do you/can you/should you still wax on top? If you go ceramic sealant, should anything you layer on top be ceramic also? I'm not talking a 'permanent' professional ceramic coating here, just the off the shelf stuff the hobbyist can work with.
You can put wax over a ceramic sealant, but it isn't going to last long as it won't stick properly. Ceramic sealants create a very slick surface, the only thing that really goes on top of them are 'top up' sprays. For instance, my other car is coated in CarPro cQuartz ceramic coating, when I wash it I use a quick spritz of CarPro Reload before drying to help dry and add a bit of protection.

javis20

Post by javis20 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:16 pm

I recently tried the Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Wax Coating. So far I really like it. For best results you really should properly clean and clay bar first. Goes on easy and looks great. I've noticed dead insects seem to wash off the front bumper much easier.