Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What Pads, Compound, Wax and Extra's- Z4 Coupe Ruby Black?

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
mgrlane

Post by mgrlane » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:02 am

Angelus666 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:05 pm I’d suggest micro fibre pads are the way to go. If you’re new then the scholl 20 is a good all in one product. If you like to clean and polish regularly then go for a sealant then a nice carnuba way. If you clean once a month then maybe go with a ceramic coating,
Hello Buddy,

Its coming to that time of the year again so looking to follow your advice rather than going maverick like last year.

I have been looking at MF cutting and polishing pads and wondered why there was such a big difference in price from the Meg's and the others?

Am I just paying for the name or are they that good?

https://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/search ... microfibre
https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/paint-co ... ofbre-pads

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:34 am

mgrlane wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:02 am
Angelus666 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:05 pm I’d suggest micro fibre pads are the way to go. If you’re new then the scholl 20 is a good all in one product. If you like to clean and polish regularly then go for a sealant then a nice carnuba way. If you clean once a month then maybe go with a ceramic coating,
Hello Buddy,

Its coming to that time of the year again so looking to follow your advice rather than going maverick like last year.

I have been looking at MF cutting and polishing pads and wondered why there was such a big difference in price from the Meg's and the others?

Am I just paying for the name or are they that good?

https://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/search ... microfibre
https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/paint-co ... ofbre-pads
Im interested in this too as its always been Meguiars pads I use but if the cheaper ones are just as good they could be swapped out more often.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

mgrlane

Post by mgrlane » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:48 pm

Nictrix,

I have gone for Shinemate MF's and bought more pads so will swap out more- I will let you know how I get on with some cheaper pads.

Went for the following also rather than Meg's
MENZERNA HEAVY CUT COMPOUND 400
MENZERNA SUPER FINISH 3500

Still managed to spend over £100 all in all. I thought after buying the DA last year things would get cheaper... :?

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:08 pm

:thumbsup:
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:20 pm

In my experience, I'd always pay for the better pads, as the whole cutting and refining process is so time-intensive you want the best pads to work with. I've tried the cheaper ones and you can feel the difference, also they lose their shape and fibres after a few washes. If you can afford the Megs then go with them.

mgrlane

Post by mgrlane » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:16 pm

Angelus666 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:20 pm In my experience, I'd always pay for the better pads, as the whole cutting and refining process is so time-intensive you want the best pads to work with. I've tried the cheaper ones and you can feel the difference, also they lose their shape and fibres after a few washes. If you can afford the Megs then go with them.
Cheers, Yet again I didn't follow your advice (in my defence I did buy the pads before you replied)- Third time lucky? :o

I bought 2* 5inches Cutting MF's and a 3inch Cutting MF and a 2* 5inches Finishing MF's and a 3inch Finishing MF. They were only 20% cheaper than the Meg's pad so hopefully not to bad.

Going to approach it slightly different this year after doing the 1step last year and then a two step on the Mr's 1 series.

The plan is to do 2 hours a day, each day until it's done. I think in winter I rushed it over two days last year and I was rather disappointed with the result.

Knowing what I know now it's clear that going at the BMW paint with a Hex logic yellow pad I was never going to get any major swirls out with Meg 205.

I think I need a decent tar remover now and I am all good to go. The car plan one I have kicking about is rubbish.

AnilS

Post by AnilS » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:57 pm

Tardis is what I use as tar remover.
E86 Si Auto Coupe in Ruby Black.

mgrlane

Post by mgrlane » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:05 pm

AnilS wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:57 pm Tardis is what I use as tar remover.
Nice one! Thank you.

That name rings a bell but in a good way.

I will look to get some I have only done 3k since the last time I removed the tar so fingers crossed there isn't much tar on there.

It was so easy to spot on the Mrs red car but on my black it was tough.

mgrlane

Post by mgrlane » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:11 am

Angelus666 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:20 pm In my experience, I'd always pay for the better pads, as the whole cutting and refining process is so time-intensive you want the best pads to work with. I've tried the cheaper ones and you can feel the difference, also they lose their shape and fibres after a few washes. If you can afford the Megs then go with them.
Microfiber Pads- spot on! :thumbsup:

So much easier than the foam.

mgrlane

Post by mgrlane » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:43 pm

Microfiber Pads working very nicely.

Here is an update of some of the progress so far.

Full decontamination of the car- 3.5 hours (Spray, hit with Built Hamber APC at 10%, touch wash, Built Hamber Korrosol Iron Remover, tar remover, clay)
Front bumper took 2.5 hours for a Cut, Polish and wax
Rear Bumper and rear face of boot 3 hours for a Cut, Polish and wax

Pictures attached are the rear bumper. I am really pleased with the process. Can't wait to get all the fiddly bits done (sides of the boot and top of arches) and move onto some big panels!
Attachments
car 1.jpg
car 1.jpg (160.9 KiB) Viewed 1124 times
Car 2.jpg
Car 2.jpg (141.64 KiB) Viewed 1124 times