Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wiper Judder

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Gjm91

Wiper Judder

Post by Gjm91 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:44 pm

Hi All - anyone got any good tips/product suggestions to stop windscreen wiper judder - have recently replaced both wiper blades with bosch wipers and still got wiper judder when it rains - have tried cleaning the screen with various glass cleaners and have put rainex treatment in the washer reservoir - still just the same judder - when I had this on previous cars replacing the wiper blades sorted the problem -any advice/tips/product recommendations appreciated - thanks G
E89 2.0 i S Drive M Sport
TT MK1 Roadster
RR Evoque
Now gone E85 2.0 SE

Silverzedtom

Wiper Judder

Post by Silverzedtom » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:21 pm

Mine disappeared after I decided to Clay the glass. I also tried rain x and it made it worse :cry:
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

oldgitdave

Wiper Judder

Post by oldgitdave » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:15 am

Is it just on one side or both? Also is it just when the wiper is moving in one direction only? Judder I've experienced in the past was caused by the wiper blade not flipping over when the arm reverses direction (I hit a mallard duck that flew out right across me :roll:, nearly filled me pants! :cry: . Drivers side wiper juddered after that). Perhaps your wiper arm is twisted slightly making it difficult for the blade to flip. You could try to untwist it slightly in the right direction & see if it helps.
Zedless :(

dhobbs

Wiper Judder

Post by dhobbs » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:43 pm

Could be a build up of grime on the screen.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

1000rr

Wiper Judder

Post by 1000rr » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:54 pm

Had this on mine, it was driving me mad. I must have spent over £100 trying different blades... but decided to claybar the screen... no problems since. :thumbsup:
Sterling 3.0, Bentley burgundy leather, Aeros..
Ducati Supersport S

road warrior

Wiper Judder

Post by road warrior » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:13 pm

so... we are saying polish the windscreen with polish ?
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

1000rr

Wiper Judder

Post by 1000rr » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:38 pm

No, clay bar the screen to get rid of all polish etc...
Sterling 3.0, Bentley burgundy leather, Aeros..
Ducati Supersport S

obewan

Wiper Judder

Post by obewan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:07 pm

road warrior wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:13 pm so... we are saying polish the windscreen with polish ?
Yep - You can buy a cream polish specifically for windscreens - 'Mer' I've used it to stop wiper blade judder
Also what oldgitdave said. Slightly twist the blade arm (using mole grips or similar) so that the blade is sitting at 90 degrees to the screen
Which way depends on if it's juddering on the up or down stroke - plenty of YouTube out there
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

road warrior

Wiper Judder

Post by road warrior » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:53 pm

obewan wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:07 pm
road warrior wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:13 pm so... we are saying polish the windscreen with polish ?
Yep - You can buy a cream polish specifically for windscreens - 'Mer' I've used it to stop wiper blade judder
Also what oldgitdave said. Slightly twist the blade arm (using mole grips or similar) so that the blade is sitting at 90 degrees to the screen
Which way depends on if it's juddering on the up or down stroke - plenty of YouTube out there
i have some mer, german polish - good stuff, never put it on the screen though - i dont have any judder personally, was just curious about the polish on the screen :)
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

Loxford

Wiper Judder

Post by Loxford » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:35 pm

Is the wiper arm spring weak?
I thoroughly clean the glass, (clay is good) then treat it with Rainex. I don't mean the spray on, I mean the proper stuff you work onto the surface.
Super smooth, clear.

Gjm91

Wiper Judder

Post by Gjm91 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:05 pm

Cheers for all the advice- its only the passenger side wiper that judders and seems to be worse now than the old wiper its replaced ☹️ gonna check how it sits on the window etc to see if thats the issue- if all seems ok gonna have to look at decontaminating the screen- never dabbled with a clay bar before so trip to halfords at the weekend . Thanks G
E89 2.0 i S Drive M Sport
TT MK1 Roadster
RR Evoque
Now gone E85 2.0 SE

obewan

Wiper Judder

Post by obewan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:13 pm

In you are going to clay, try a clay cloth. Much easier to use for the inexperienced
I’d never used clay before on paint work but recently bit the bullet with a cloth. Very easy to use and great results. Went on to use on windscreen as well
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.

oldgitdave

Wiper Judder

Post by oldgitdave » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:42 pm

road warrior wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:53 pm
i have some mer, german polish - good stuff, never put it on the screen though - i dont have any judder personally, was just curious about the polish on the screen :)
No, no, no :o do not apply a polish :rcard: . Might be great when it's not raining but the 'smear' will be awful otherwise. Being 'old school' & an old git :) , just clean the exterior glass with damp newspaper, honestly you'll be amazed :D, (not so many folk have newspapers these days, ask an old git neighbour maybe?). Once thoroughly cleaned then feel free to apply rainex or similar :thumbsup:, or try the the twisty arm thing I mentioned earlier :thumbsup:
Zedless :(

road warrior

Wiper Judder

Post by road warrior » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:30 am

i dont tend to get judder, and i dont do anything special like you fellas, i just wash the screen when i wash the car, and sometimes use window/glass cleaner if in the mood. but all noted..

obewan

Wiper Judder

Post by obewan » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:18 am

oldgitdave wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:42 pm
road warrior wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:53 pm

No, no, no :o do not apply a polish :rcard: . Might be great when it's not raining but the 'smear' will be awful otherwise. Being 'old school' & an old git :) , just clean the exterior glass with damp newspaper, honestly you'll be amazed :D, (not so many folk have newspapers these days, ask an old git neighbour maybe?). Once thoroughly cleaned then feel free to apply rainex or similar :thumbsup:, or try the the twisty arm thing I mentioned earlier :thumbsup:
The Mer polish I was referring to is made for windscreens. Works a treat. Found the tip on here from the Detailing guys. It cuts through all the grease and grime
Like you I’ve also used old newspaper and also white vinegar. Use to clean the blades as well. Amazing the muck that comes off
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.