Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wiper Judder

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
road warrior

Wiper Judder

Post by road warrior » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:37 pm

and you can read the newpaper as you drive along ?? :rofl:
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

carlsson

Wiper Judder

Post by carlsson » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:04 pm

I read somewhere that wiper judder is caused by the wiper arm spring getting weaker...you can bend the arm a bit to give it more tension. Another thing causing the judder is that the blade is in a slightly wrong angle when it sweeps up or down. You have to twist the wiper arm forward or backward depending on when the judder is happening...either moving up or down. This is what I did to two of my cars and it worked. Do this only after making sure that a dirty windshield isn't causing the judder.

Gjm91

Wiper Judder

Post by Gjm91 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:40 pm

Thanks for all the tips - seems to have been related to how the wiper was sitting on the glass - wasn't 90” to the glass so did a bit of adjustment as suggested and seems much better - thanks again G
E89 2.0 i S Drive M Sport
TT MK1 Roadster
RR Evoque
Now gone E85 2.0 SE

zeblackz4

Wiper Judder

Post by zeblackz4 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:37 am

Hi all my first post! I just followed a chrisfix YT video. Basically you wash your screen down with regular dish soap, clay it, but don't use clay spray to lube the clay, use regular soapy water, and then the final touch is just regular car wax. I can attest that my wipers have never worked better! As an addition, I'm contemplating PIAA silicon wiper refills as I have saved my original wiper blade holders since new. The reason why is that the passenger side has some sort of air wing attachment that probably pushes down the blade at speed.

mcbutler

Wiper Judder

Post by mcbutler » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:48 pm

Could be linkage wear, weak arm spring, pivot joint (where you lift them to clean the screen) may be stiff, arms could be bent away from the screen (reducing pressure applied by the spring.
Presuming your drivers side has the spoiler on it?
If it's both sides you can narrow it down to something that would affect both.

Being an old git, I have snoozepaper by the shed load :D
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Marekdawg

Wiper Judder

Post by Marekdawg » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:00 pm

Gjm91 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:44 pm Hi All - anyone got any good tips/product suggestions to stop windscreen wiper judder - have recently replaced both wiper blades with bosch wipers and still got wiper judder when it rains - have tried cleaning the screen with various glass cleaners and have put rainex treatment in the washer reservoir - still just the same judder - when I had this on previous cars replacing the wiper blades sorted the problem -any advice/tips/product recommendations appreciated - thanks G
I never had an issue until I tried the Rainex for the reservoir - I'm convinced this made things worse, I even tried it on the Mrs A class and the old mans Range. All developed a judder issue, the Zed by far the worst... :headbang:
A good clean and then Claybar did wonders, as others mentioned I just used a clay 'mitt'. easier for beginners. Best of luck!
The judder drives me nutts.. :rofl:
Silver E89 Sdrive30I Msport. Black roof and other bits. :D :driving:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Wiper Judder

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:21 pm

oldgitdave wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:15 am Is it just on one side or both?
I'm a bit late to the party here, but I'd guess it's probably only on the outside :D

But, being sensible for a moment................ I clayed my screen then use Mr Muscle glass cleaner. Tried all sorts of fancy ones, but this seems to produce at least as good results for a fraction of the price.

I have kept an old Farecla clay mitt just for the screen.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: