Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Yet another Leather Care Question

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
javis20

Post by javis20 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:59 pm

I've seen leather cleaner / conditioner products discussed ad nauseam here and elsewhere. I'm sure most of them pretty much work, but do any of them not result in clouding my windows? I'm really tired of trying to get that greasy film off my windows..

Another question.. Do leather seats really need any care other than washing with a general purpose household cleaner. I watched several video's of professionals refinishing leather seats and they are actually spray painted. So are we just putting a greasy film on our seats that eventually evaporates and deposits on the windows?

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:15 pm

I mainly simply use Johnson's baby wipes. They work a treat. :thumbsup: I do use leather wipes every once in a while. Never had any issue with diposits. :?

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:36 am

From what I've read, modern cars have sealed leather seats, so any products you apply to the leather will simple sit on top of the material, rather than in it. Pointless I guess.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

javis20

Post by javis20 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:23 pm

I've been using a little Spic & Span cleaner in distilled water to clean my leather and interior plastics. But I was hoping to find something that gives the leather more shine, as you would get with the greasy conditioners.

z4pilot

Post by z4pilot » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:30 pm

javis20 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:23 pm I've been using a little Spic & Span cleaner in distilled water to clean my leather and interior plastics. But I was hoping to find something that gives the leather more shine, as you would get with the greasy conditioners.
Down to personal taste I guess, but from the factory, the leather would not have been shiny - it had a matt finish.
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...

javis20

Post by javis20 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:48 pm

Good point. I guess I will continue to wash the seats with a mild detergent and rinse with distilled water.