Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tips for cleaning window seals

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
BeardyJon

Post by BeardyJon » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:06 pm

The seals on the windows on my car are clearly quite dirty and seemingly won’t clean up no matter what I try. It’s really annoying me cos whenever I wind the windows down, when I put them back up the seals leave dirty streaks the whole way up the glass so the windows are never clean.

Anyone got any solid tips for getting them clean?
2012 E89 sDrive20i M Sport Celtic Tuning Stage 3 Remap
2008 E86 Z4 M Sport 2.0i - Gone
2003 E46 316ti M Sport - Gone

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:19 pm

For a number of years I've been using something called 'Platenclene' to clean and rejuvenate the pinch rollers of my tape deck collection.
It renews the rubber by opening up the microscopic pores and returning the elastic properties of the rubber.

I started using it on other rubber/*insert material here* interfaces with good results, including sticky window seals.
Give it a whirl.

https://www.af-net.com/products/search- ... atenclene/

Meguiars 'Rubber renew' is basically the same composition but much more expensive.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

BeardyJon

Post by BeardyJon » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:58 pm

Will this work on the felty sides of the seals? (The sides that contact the window glass)
2012 E89 sDrive20i M Sport Celtic Tuning Stage 3 Remap
2008 E86 Z4 M Sport 2.0i - Gone
2003 E46 316ti M Sport - Gone

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:09 am

I would advise to use it only on rubber as intended.
I assumed you meant the rubber surround of the hood, not the strip that runs parralel to the top of the door.

Thrustyjust

Post by Thrustyjust » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:46 am

I just used a small tooth brush after soaking in soapy water ( washing up liquid) , but you could use an APC , then an old microfiber towel on a plastic spatula type thing ( well was an Araldite mixing thing) and run it backwards and forwards and washed out a few times. Came out like sludge and now doesn't streak the windows or look green in the seals :thumbsup:
E86 In sapphire black

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:34 am

When I bought my Z4 the window seals were a mess, full of algae and grit. I removed them, cleaned them and carefully refitted. Soak everything in hot, soapy water and clean with a small detailing/paint brush and old tooth brush. Not a difficult task but care must be taken not to break any clips etc. Use only plastic trim removal tools and plenty of soft cloths to avoid paint damage. You'll be amazed how mucky everything is :o
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e85- ... nt/GAgc73O
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:20 pm

Chris_D wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:19 pm For a number of years I've been using something called 'Platenclene' to clean and rejuvenate the pinch rollers of my tape deck collection.
It renews the rubber by opening up the microscopic pores and returning the elastic properties of the rubber.

I started using it on other rubber/*insert material here* interfaces with good results, including sticky window seals.
Give it a whirl.

Meguiars 'Rubber renew' is basically the same composition but much more expensive.
I've ordered some as a couple of my cars have the streaky thing going on :thumbsup:

I guess it might work on wiper blades as well?
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:10 pm

Ewazix wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:20 pm
Chris_D wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:19 pm For a number of years I've been using something called 'Platenclene' to clean and rejuvenate the pinch rollers of my tape deck collection.

Give it a whirl.

I've ordered some as a couple of my cars have the streaky thing going on :thumbsup:

I guess it might work on wiper blades as well?
Yes, can prolong the life of wiper blades. I give a quick squirt and wipe during every car wash.
Useful for bringing back the porosity and elasticity of anything made of rubber compound.