Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Beginner Washer...

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Krimbo

Beginner Washer...

Post by Krimbo » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:18 pm

Hey guys,

I've never had a nice car that I want to be glimmering during every minute of its life before, so I never invested in nice detailing products, just any old car shampoo and a shamois did the trick.

Would love to get some advice for a nice set of products I should pick up if people have suggestions!

I guess a good wax would be best for longevity between washes - I've only had the car a week and the poxy rain has given it that dried up dusty luck from the lack of wax.

Cheers!
E86 3.0si Sport Coupe.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Beginner Washer...

Post by buzyg » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:42 pm

Where do you begin with this one. So many right ways to clean your p & j. Trick is to never let it get dirty. Tricky. :wink:

I have a pretty basic routine for the out side. Main thing is to get it properly cleaned and then get some protection over the paint work. That way even if you simply wash with a sponge soap and water you are not damaging the paint , just the wax layer. How often you have to do this depends on how much weather your car gets. So this, weekend Zedder, uses cheap and cheerful shampoo from Tesco and Autoglym polish. I use the same shampoo on my wheels with an old toothbrush for the tricky bits.

On the inside I swear by Johnson's baby wipes. Use them on literally every surface. They are great at shifting the grime and don't react with any of the materials. Just be sure to follow up with a leather nurishing product after wiping down leather surfaces. :wink: I even use them in the engine bay. :D

Best tool I have for the inside, is an brush kit to attach to our Henry Hoover. Means I can get into all the nooks and crannies. Down the side of the seats, around the instrument binical etc. :thumbsup:

https://www.espares.co.uk/product/es176 ... o-tool-kit

Hope that helps. :)

One ast things, always have bird pooh wipes in the boot and clean that stuff off as soon as you spot it. :lol:

ZedConvert

Beginner Washer...

Post by ZedConvert » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:56 pm

Clay bar

sw4nny

Beginner Washer...

Post by sw4nny » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:17 pm

If it says autoglym on it then it generally does a good job .
That’s my two Penney’s worth.
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

Krimbo

Beginner Washer...

Post by Krimbo » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:24 pm

buzyg wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:42 pm Hope that helps. :)

always have bird pooh wipes in the boot
Loads of helpful stuff there, cheers. Do you think it best to take it to a detailer to get a good base with a polish, then whack a wax coat on and then just shampoo wash and polish from there on?

Good hack keeping wipes in the boot :D
E86 3.0si Sport Coupe.

Krimbo

Beginner Washer...

Post by Krimbo » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:54 pm

I've just been doing some research and came across that Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax that seems to be the bomb. I might just get a nice shampoo, that and a bunch of quality microfibre clothes :thumbsup:
E86 3.0si Sport Coupe.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Beginner Washer...

Post by buzyg » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:04 pm

Krimbo wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:24 pm
buzyg wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:42 pm Hope that helps. :)

always have bird pooh wipes in the boot
Loads of helpful stuff there, cheers. Do you think it best to take it to a detailer to get a good base with a polish, then whack a wax coat on and then just shampoo wash and polish from there on?

Good hack keeping wipes in the boot :D
You could get it detailed. But if it's realy your p & j then one patience a few you tube videos and a clay bar. Should get the muck off. :wink:

Lazza

Beginner Washer...

Post by Lazza » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:44 pm

Krimbo wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:54 pm I've just been doing some research and came across that Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax that seems to be the bomb. I might just get a nice shampoo, that and a bunch of quality microfibre clothes :thumbsup:
It is good stuff but you need to do a lot of preparation before you’ll see any benefit from using it.
This is my routine and this is a quickie job. Others on here would do a much more thorough job.
viewtopic.php?p=1670274#p1670274
Z4 S-Drive 35i
Audi TT S-line
Mazda MX5 Mk2.5 (for sale)
Wokingham Berkshire

Krimbo

Beginner Washer...

Post by Krimbo » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:52 pm

Lazza wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:44 pm This is my routine and this is a quickie job.
viewtopic.php?p=1670274#p1670274
Rightio, this is my basket right now, added the EGP from your recommendation.
I just need a clay bar and the Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic as well and I'm sorted?

E86 3.0si Sport Coupe.

Sirrith

Beginner Washer...

Post by Sirrith » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:18 am

I use meguiars waterless wash and wax on mine, works a treat, fast, doesn't scratch the finish and best of all saves water.

I do use shampoo for the rims though.

Beeacon

Beginner Washer...

Post by Beeacon » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:10 pm

First things first: Research!

Start by watching a few videos to get a good base knowledge of what would work for you. Personally, I like the videos by PanTheOrganizer such as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaQmB_qje_4

Then invest in a good microfibre drying towel(s), and a good wash mitt. Use two buckets, and never wash in direct sunlight as you don't want the products to dry on the car.

Most importantly, enjoy it!
Current: Still thinking...
Past: 2009 BMW Z4 35i sDrive DCT
Past: 1997 BMW Z3 2.8 wide boy

Krimbo

Beginner Washer...

Post by Krimbo » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:42 pm

Beeacon wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:10 pm First things first: Research!
I made my big purchase last night, ended up being just shy of £100 but feel like I got decent stuff.

My plan for the first proper base clean is:

- Meguiars shampoo
- Autofinesse Iron Out
- Detailers Juice Tar and Glue remover
- Meguiars Clay bar kit
- Another proper rinse
- Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax
E86 3.0si Sport Coupe.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Beginner Washer...

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:40 pm

I follow a similar process to the ordered list you have, but after claying (I use the Farecla mitt, which I find easier, and less likely to drop), I then use Autoglym polish to get rid of any light scratches before topping off with Farecla Wax.
As the water is so hard here in Norfolk, i find it very hard to completely get rid of water marks on a normal wash, so 9 times out of ten, after I've dried it, i give it a buff with the Farecla Detail spray.
Works for me.

Am I right in thinking you're in Norfolk too?
If so, always happy to help out if you like?

Another tip from me is.... when the clay mitt is a bit worn from car cleaning, don't bin it. I use it to clean the windscreen every second wash or so and it cleans it a treat. Then i just give it a spray with Mr Muscle window cleaner.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Krimbo

Beginner Washer...

Post by Krimbo » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:19 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:40 pm Am I right in thinking you're in Norfolk too?
If so, always happy to help out if you like?
Yeah I'm in Norwich pal so not too far down the road.

Half of the stuff has turned up, the Ceramic wax came about 8 hours after I ordered it lol. I need a good wheel brush still though, forgot that.
E86 3.0si Sport Coupe.

Vijay

Beginner Washer...

Post by Vijay » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:06 pm

2007 Z4 3.0Si Coupe, Carbon Black, 53K on clock & counting...
Mineral White M240i